Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Want to get into fly fishing.

I would like to buy a used fly rod and reel. I have only used a fly rod a couple times and it was my great grandpas so something more modern would be awesome. I am a beginner so maybe some of you experienced guys could sell me some beginner gear to get me started without ripping me off. Yes I posted in the buy and sell as well.

Thanks

Please PM, I am in Drumheller.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
I would like to buy a used fly rod and reel. I have only used a fly rod a couple times and it was my great grandpas so something more modern would be awesome. I am a beginner so maybe some of you experienced guys could sell me some beginner gear to get me started without ripping me off. Yes I posted in the buy and sell as well.

Thanks

Please PM, I am in Drumheller.
I would suggest hitting up a fly shop and demo cast some of the entry level gear. Today's companies have some nice entry level rods and reels at very affordable prices. If you are near Calgary check out Iron Bow fly shop. He carries Reddington Rods and are very well priced and would be a great starter rod before you get hooked and want to purchase a Sage.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM

I watch kijiji religiously, and there is lots on there pretty cheap for a combo. Also lots posted on here.

Worst case there are normally early season sales at fishing stores that if you wanted you could get into a combo around 100 bucks brand new.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2018, 05:06 PM

What species are you mainly wanting to fish as it makes a difference in the weight of your rod and line.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM

Cabelas has a pretty good combo deal on 6 weights for a starter rod I was there tonight played a little with them they seemed ok for the price.Being a nooby assuming your after trout I would most likely go with a 6weightbits a all a rounder streamers nymphs dries.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM

PM incoming. Have a few items for you.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 PM

I have a few Maxcatch outfits from amazon.ca and like what I got . Their prices are good, and the rods,reels, and lines are good .

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...A+MAXIMUMCATCH
Old 03-09-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I have a few Maxcatch outfits from amazon.ca and like what I got . Their prices are good, and the rods,reels, and lines are good .

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...A+MAXIMUMCATCH
X2

I have some of there items as well. Rod cases, fly boxes, vest, etc. Never had an issue with any of it. Good quality. Perfect entry level equipment at a decent price.

DR
Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the help and info. I think i'm set up.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:57 AM

Speaking as someone who relatively recently got into this game, I'd say that the one thing you don't want to skimp on is fly line. Huge difference between a $20 eBay line and a quality (Rio or SA for example). I would argue that good line will impact your setup as much, or perhaps even more than the rod itself. "Real world" example... if forced to choose between Redington Path rod with Rio Gold line, versus a Winston BIIIX paired with Maxcatch line; I'd select the Redington/Rio setup every time.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 PM

dragonfly two piece plus reel are on clearance right now at crappy tire for $40. Cortland line is clearance for $24
Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Speaking as someone who relatively recently got into this game, I'd say that the one thing you don't want to skimp on is fly line. Huge difference between a $20 eBay line and a quality (Rio or SA for example). I would argue that good line will impact your setup as much, or perhaps even more than the rod itself. "Real world" example... if forced to choose between Redington Path rod with Rio Gold line, versus a Winston BIIIX paired with Maxcatch line; I'd select the Redington/Rio setup every time.
This is good advice. The first time I bought some quality line I was blown away by the difference in stock line to the quality line. I'm using Rio Gold as well.