Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Help! in identifying sxs shotgun

I’m looking for enlightenment from shotgun gurus. I have acquired a 12ga. SXS 2 ½” , from all the proof markings, it’s a Black Powder gun only. On the top rib is Eskilstunaboden Wexio, which from my investigation seem to be locations in Sweden. Fluss Stahl Fein is also stamped on the barrels, seems to be German for fine fluid or mild steel. It Also has the Le Centaure crest on the barrel which is usually Belgium. The proof marks are mostly Belgian with the S with a crown above it is German, On the flat of the action is the Serial # with the faint showing of belgian proof marks which seem to have been milled off. On the barrels is the G with a star above it, which would indicate it's Belgian proofing was done in 1928. The Serial # is stamped on the lower barrel rib, and a little further down is stamped 205 which could be a German proofing in Feb 1905. There is a P.N with a oval around it which I have no idea if it means anything. I seems to me it has been around Europe. Any further insights would be greatly appreciated, as I’m looking for a history of this gun.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:58 PM

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

There are no absolutes
Old 03-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Sorry I forgot this picture

Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM

Looks like a nice Belgian made gun for thee Swedish market!
Cat
Old 03-16-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Looks like a nice Belgian made gun for thee Swedish market!
Cat
Thanks Cat your logic had missed me. thanks for the insight.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:28 PM

Upon further study, the choke and bore sizes are stamped one above the other which would indicate a time frame between 1910 and 1924, with the German proof mark I would say sometime prior to the occupation of 1914. That's the closest I can date it.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:48 PM

You guys offering help here are what make the forum great.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Upon further study, the choke and bore sizes are stamped one above the other which would indicate a time frame between 1910 and 1924, with the German proof mark I would say sometime prior to the occupation of 1914. That's the closest I can date it.
It could very well have had the gun assembled in Leige with the German barrels, proofed in Leige then sent over to Germany and re-proofed in Suhl before being shipped to Sweden.
Or possibly I need to adjust my needs because I am totally out to lunch with this idea!
Cat
Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 AM

That's a very good possibility, Cat. But that would also date it pre-war as I don't think Belgian's would be very friendly with the Germans right after the war.