Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Puppy with 700 ticks needs blood transfusion after being rescued near Regina

Got ticks?
I grew up around Last mountain lake Sask. this time of year is tick season and this is the worst infestation I've ever seen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sion-1.4114792

One puppy found near Regina is lucky to be alive after being found in the wild covered in about 700 ticks.
Tic Tac, as she was named by her rescuers, was found near a reserve outside of Regina on Friday evening.
CC RezQs Regina's co-founder and director Caillin Rodonets received a frantic text from a volunteer about the puppy, which was covered in ticks, lethargic and unable to stand.
Rodonets said their immediate goal was to get the dog to a clinic.
"If we can at least get it to the vet, it increases its chances of survival by 10-fold," Rodonets said.
Volunteers transported the dog from the reserve to Regina, and from Regina to the TM'z Vet Clinic in Lumsden, Sask.
The puppy was found to have more than*300 large, fully engorged, ticks, and about 400 small ticks. It*was also covered in fecal matter from the bugs.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:59 PM

Damn that's nasty. Disgusting little buggers.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:36 PM

They kill moose. Nasty little bugs.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:11 PM

Many Dogs are put down in shelters everyday but lets spend thousands of dollars rescuing a half dead dog. This should pay for the vets next boat.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Many Dogs are put down in shelters everyday but lets spend thousands of dollars rescuing a half dead dog. This should pay for the vets next boat.
Would you rather have the natives shoot it during one of their " clean up" days? It's a shame that the stewards of the Land fail to look after all of their canine companions...
Old 05-14-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Guess some people can put such little value on an animals life
Old 05-14-2017, 11:52 PM

Burn. It's 50 years since the prairies burned the last time. Need fire
Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
There is no "lets" in this situation that should concern anyone other than those involved. No worries, it won't cost the tax payers anything and how the vet decides to spend the money he earns is his business.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Found near a Reserve,, what a surprise........
Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Truthfully, the most humane thing to do in this situation would have been to put it down when they found it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

A .22 LR bullet is about .10 cents
Old 05-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

Kudos to the rescuers. And a slow burn for those that neglected it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
A .22 LR bullet is about .10 cents
Are you sure on the math?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 AM

Gaaaaaah 700 ticks!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Question

The article in Post #1 suggests going to a Vet to get a topical preventative, but the on-shelf preventatives in pet stores & pet departments are a whole lot cheaper, and no Vet fees.

Has anyone had any experience with these on-shelf flea & tick preventatives available in stores?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Truthfully, the most humane thing to do in this situation would have been to put it down when they found it.
X2
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Guess some people can put such little value on an animals life
Humans often favor some animals' lives over others. In this case, the dog's owners (or was it the taxpayers of Saskatchewan?) valued the life of a puppy higher than the lives of 700 ticks (plus the vet bill). 700 animals killed to save 1 (yes, ticks are animals, scentifically speaking).

Not all humans agree on which animals we ought to value as higher than others or whether we should intervene at all.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Not tryin to get off-topic with a stoopid question, but would it help to spray the dogs with RAID or at least a insect repellent?
Would they try and lick it off and make themselves sick....?

Its been a long time since I had the dogs anywhere where there might be tics, but I don't intend to be "stuck" forever.

When I "leave town" with them, I'll want them protected from that sort of thing.

Sorry if this sounds silly, but its been a while since I got off the pavement; and never had a problem with tics in my life - either with me or dogs.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
The article in Post #1 suggests going to a Vet to get a topical preventative, but the on-shelf preventatives in pet stores & pet departments are a whole lot cheaper, and no Vet fees.

Has anyone had any experience with these on-shelf flea & tick preventatives available in stores?
Yes we used them once and never again. They really were not effective. Background to this. We were running both dogs in hunt tests in Sask. I had forgotten to get the regular treatment medications from our vet. Went down and picked up the pet store product and used it as directed. Went to Sk, ran the tests and checked the dogs regularly. Two days sun / last day rain and pack up and go. One dog had three ticks and the other about five that we had to remove. Normal meds from the vet running the dogs in the same location previous years we did not get any.

As a heads up one of our dogs did pick up a tick in the river valley last fall. Sick looking tick as it had been cool out but it was a tick.

Funny story was my wife getting really upset when I brushed them off my rain pants. This was the first time she saw the little buggers crawling.

Most ticks I have ever saw was turkey hunting in Nebraska. When you sat beside a log pile they were everywhere.