Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm surprised that doctors don't recommend that more people get dogs. Just petting your dog lowers your blood pressure, they demand a walk every day, rain or shine, no excuses - you have to get off the couch and get some daily exercise.
After my heart attack, our dog was instrumental in getting me back on my feet again. They're good for people suffering depression or who have anxiety issues. They can be a 'best friend' for kids who have emotional issues and of course are often protectors of families.Then there's the array of specialty trained service dogs that improve the quality of life for thousands of people with disabilities.

I'm surprised that doctors don't have "GET A DOG" on the top of their prescription pads!
yep. My pin needs that exercise every day - mental and physical - or he gets grumpy. I'm trying to walk off 10 pounds, only have 15 to go

Even if I don't feel like going, I have to. Gets me out, meet lots of people in the run of a day, he meets lots of dogs. Lots of single women in the offleash parks, dogs are a magnet
Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

We or I should I vacuum like a mad man, allergic to cat hair, wife has a cat and I have a awesome, great dog...hmmmm guess I will never sell my home nor truck and hey I'm alright with that too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-13-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
You have my deepest sympathies.
Well you made me laugh....thank you!

Some great one liners pop up now and then.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
I get a kick out of how many people love dogs and treat them equal to or better than other humans. Some of these same people have no problem shooting deer, even though some people treat them like pets and love having them roam around their properties, yet the hunters never think twice about pulling the trigger on a deer. Should a person that has no use for dogs not have the same rights to pull the trigger on a dog that is chewing up their property and barking all night keeping them up? And if these dogs wandering around or cause a disturbance that is supposedly acceptable were actually someone's beloved family member, the family should be taking care of business. We live in the country, so animals like dogs and cats are pretty much a given, but they are never to be considered to be equals to humans. It is hard to watch as my cousin takes in sick dogs that have medical bills, and it does not bother her that her kids have to do with less so the animals can continue to live their sickly lives. One can only pray that someday in Canada humans will have more rights than animals.
U nailed it. I too always have had dogs and cats, couldn't be with out em on the farm. But they will never take the place of my kids or be equal to them in this house. And they wonder why for the first time in Canada's history we have more people over the age of 65 than kids 14 and under. "Can't afford to have kids" they say, but willing to whip out the credit card for thousands of bucks for the vet bill.
And I don't really care if people live with their pets or not, just putting my not so popular point of view out there.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
U nailed it. I too always have had dogs and cats, couldn't be with out em on the farm. But they will never take the place of my kids or be equal to them in this house. And they wonder why for the first time in Canada's history we have more people over the age of 65 than kids 14 and under. "Can't afford to have kids" they say, but willing to whip out the credit card for thousands of bucks for the vet bill.
And I don't really care if people live with their pets or not, just putting my not so popular point of view out there.
You may want to rethink that one.

I love kids, but i'll never have any. Don't want any. With so many marriages going to crap, so many kids caught in the middle of a nasty divorce, and so many men getting the shaft... Having a dog is much easier.

I'll never be married, don't want to end up in the trap where at least half my stuff is lost. It's not worth it to me. Great, meet a great woman, stay together for a few years - she moved in at some point, then the nympho leaves and the maniac stays. Been there too often, no thanks.

At least my dog is happy to see me if I stagger in the door drunk at 2 am. Dog doesn't want to shove a GPS up my arse to know where I am at all times.]

Many men are driving the lack of kids, and it's no wonder why.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:29 AM

Hmmm gps buttplug...painful

You can have it all just gotta fine the right chemistry when it come to woman folk...had a bad dog once too, bugger was meaner than a gut shot grizzly...some relationships are just not meant to be.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

I love kids, but i'll never have any. Don't want any. With so many marriages going to crap, so many kids caught in the middle of a nasty divorce, and so many men getting the shaft... Having a dog is much easier.

I'll never be married, don't want to end up in the trap where at least half my stuff is lost. It's not worth it to me. Great, meet a great woman, stay together for a few years - she moved in at some point, then the nympho leaves and the maniac stays. Been there too often, no thanks.

At least my dog is happy to see me if I stagger in the door drunk at 2 am. Dog doesn't want to shove a GPS up my arse to know where I am at all times.]

Sounds more like you need to spend less time with an animal and find a good woman, but maybe good women don't see how it is important for one to come home drunk either, usually a bad example for the kids. Kids are the biggest blessing in the world. I feel bad for folks that think the love of an animal can even come close to the feelings a kid gives a person. Most of being a parent is reaping what you have put into it. If money is more important to a person, yes, a pet is the way to go, their not smart enough to know better. If you are the type of person that is there for your kids when they are doing things or need help, they are smart enough to know you care, but it is a huge responsibility, but if you don't have kids you love and you think a pet can even come close, you are not in the same game. If you are picking women that need to track you, you need to find different women.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I have a St.Bernard that weights 201 lbs. He often has drool all over his chest, it takes two of us to wash him. Brushing grocery bags full of hair out of him all the time. Good shake of the head he has gotten drool on the wall, floor and even the ceiling once. He has been in the back seat of my Laramie in an emergency and drooled over the front seats, window, doors. He covered it in hair.

My dog is also my 4 year old sons best friend. When my son wakes up in the morning he has to go outside and talk to his pup. He will sit outside and talk to his dog for 20 min. straight like they are having a conversation.

My dog lets the kids get away with anything. He is a lazy dog who lays around in the house or out in the yard all day but if the kids are out in the yard or exploring in the trees he follows them everywhere they go.
If anyone strange shows up he barks and acts mean but he's great once he knows you.
If someone is over that he doesn't know well he will always stay in between me and the kids.

He has never shown aggression towards other dogs besides one time when a friends pincher ran up to my daughter. The dog was nice but he saw it as a threat.

If I am working on something in the shop or yard he is always sitting close by, he keeps me company any time I take a break.
He has also seen me make hundreds of mistakes and never told a soul or even thought less of me.
My dog is my best friend and I dread the day I have to put him down. He is getting old and has hip and knee erosion.
He takes pills for it all the time.

I owe this dog a lot more than what my truck will depreciate.
He is an important member of our family.
If it came down to it, take the truck.
Attachment 134023
Beautiful.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
My last dog died over a half year ago. Still finding hair in my truck and house. If having a dog in my house and truck means never selling them (which it doesn't) I could care less. Some people understand, and some don't. (I feel very sorry for those that don't get it)

It's not very hard for me to understand why people like owning dogs.
I'm with you about this .
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 AM

I see an epidemic of the teacup breeds with heart, discipline & bark problems in tower condos, which is driven by the same condo regulations that most buildings seem to have in effect regarding maximum dog weight/size. Some people manage to train the dogs, others don't (though admittedly this applies to dog owners with actual houses too). At any rate it results in a completely unnatural spike in the population of wee canine's. You see the owners taking them outside and the tree rising from the cast iron grate cut into the concrete closest to the door is getting the brunt of the urine. Some humans might actually walk them for a spell beyond that... this noted from the times I've spent out front when building out the main floor commercial tenancy or maintaining the building itself. I noticed that many owners were like clockwork in their dog-walking and would also multi-task their chronic pot-smoking into the routine. At least most owners police up their animals turd.... most...... While I'm glad the breeds of real dogs are spared the unnatural horrors of condo life, it's fully offset by the number of tiny bark machines populating such places and one knows they were bred specifically for just such a condo regulation. Imagine how many chihuahua's and pug's would not exist through natural owner preference were it not for such rules?

That being said, in a couple of years I plan on getting what I consider to be a 'real dog'.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Here here,
I did do the marriage thing, but never again.

I was unable to have kids and went to make sure I never would.

My soon to be 7 year old Rottie is as faithful as they come.
She follows me everywhere.
She has been my "baby" since a pup and the only "kid" I want.

If I can find a woman who matches up to my dog,
I might change my mind,
But I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Haha, cranky old man of the weekend goes to Rio, in a landslide...

"We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately! Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

Life is too short to be ****ed off about how many dogs people own and wonder how in the world they're ever sell their truck or house..... Hahaha, too funny. Thanks for the laugh this morning Rio.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:37 AM

I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too
Old 05-14-2017, 10:16 AM

Dog Epidemic, yes! However better than a Sasquatch Epidemic.

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/colo...y-a-sasquatch/

Sent from my iPad
Old 05-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

"We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately! Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph.."

Life is too short to be ****ed off about how many dogs people own and wonder how in the world they're ever sell their truck or house..... Hahaha, too funny. Thanks for the laugh this morning Rio.
HAHAHA Great post!!!!!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:04 AM

I grew up with dogs, I would like to have one now, but I live in a small town and I have neighbors who complain if a dog barks, so I try to keep peace as much as possible, but our dogs had their own house when I was a kid and they didn't come into our house, and they came with us sometimes, but only when the weather was warm so they could ride in the back. Our dogs were farm animals, we loved and cared for them, but they also had a job to do, I have trained several working cow dogs and they enjoy their job but they don't sleep in my house, they are on predator watch at night.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:06 AM

Houses are getting listed as pet free not so much because of dogs but a lot of people having allergies, that's what our real estate agent told us.
We just bought a house last year, pets were the least of our issues with many of the 15-20 houses we looked at as it doesn't (always) take a pet to turn a house into a pigsty, and I've seen pigsties that were more clean than some property.
If you should be bored, go to a few open houses in your area, then you can see some of the real issues you find as potential buyer. Immediately upon entering you will see if the current owner regularly cleaned or just did it now for the sale. Others don't even bother. Fridges full of moldy, rotten food, liquids spilled and sticking everywhere, microwaves, stoves and ovens full of burned in/on food remains, nice and shiny on the outside, likely a health issue on the inside.
Bathrooms that probably have been cleaned the last time when the current owner bought the house, full of human hairs and stains you don't even want to know where they came from. Toilets with crap remains half an inch thick that have not seen a brush from the current owner, at one showing there was even a 10" brown snake still floating in the john. And those are just issues regular cleaning can take care of and doesn't include holes, dents, scratches and other damages on appliances, walls, carpets or hardwood floor caused by simple negligence.
You'll find worn down interior even in the 'better' communities and higher price range houses, doesn't matter if pet owner or not. Seems less and less people learn from their parents to treat their own property and belongings with respect and value it.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

x3-happy mothers day Rio

harrumph!

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Truth be told I would rather have my dog in the truck with me then most people.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfu View Post
Truth be told I would rather have my dog in the truck with me then most people.
I'm sure " most people " are good with that,,,,
Old 05-14-2017, 02:58 PM

no doubt I'm the minority on this one ...WOOF
Old 05-14-2017, 03:23 PM

I've had two. Real dogs. Not those below the knee, look good going through the goalposts types. I mean really? If you're going to get a dog get one that does the term "dog" justice. The rest are just upholstered rats. Turn in your man card if you let your better half manipulate you like that.

Rottweillers, Pitbulls, and Dobermans are just small genitals compensation too so don't get one of those unless you have issues in the testosterone department or drive a corvette.

Anyways, dogs are fine. If they never bark, crap, or live within hearing distance of ME.

Cats are better for no other reasons than they have attitude and can survive for a week on a giant bowl of food and water while you're on holidays. Stupid dog will eat and drink both in the first hour then whine about when you're coming home. Probably expire in the process.

What's Calgary up to now? 7.1 dogs per resident? Last I checked it was the highest in Canada. Right along with the per cap density of Jeep Cherokees that never leave the road and cowboy gear that gets worn once a year. Pfftttt.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I've had two. Real dogs. Not those below the knee, look good going through the goalposts types. I mean really? If you're going to get a dog get one that does the term "dog" justice. The rest are just upholstered rats. Turn in your man card if you let your better half manipulate you like that.

Rottweillers, Pitbulls, and Dobermans are just small genitals compensation too so don't get one of those unless you have issues in the testosterone department or drive a corvette.

Anyways, dogs are fine. If they never bark, crap, or live within hearing distance of ME.

Cats are better for no other reasons than they have attitude and can survive for a week on a giant bowl of food and water while you're on holidays. Stupid dog will eat and drink both in the first hour then whine about when you're coming home. Probably expire in the process.

What's Calgary up to now? 7.1 dogs per resident? Last I checked it was the highest in Canada. Right along with the per cap density of Jeep Cherokees that never leave the road and cowboy gear that gets worn once a year. Pfftttt.

Although I don't agree with this, I do love it...lol.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

I'm not sure you can shoot your mouth off about man card removal then say you prefer cats ... bad form.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Although I don't agree with this, I do love it...lol.
do YOU have a dog there TM..or just going with the flow .. you know the monkey thing
Old 05-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
do YOU have a dog there TM..or just going with the flow .. you know the monkey thing
I've had dogs about half the time throughout my 45 years. Currently no pets.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
And I'm not one to "go with the flow" as most have noticed. 😇
Old 05-14-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I've had dogs about half the time throughout my 45 years. Currently no pets.
OHHHHH ... and why is that ? please tell us .. pets are not for everyone . My Point exactly ...
Old 05-14-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I'm not sure you can shoot your mouth off about man card removal then say you prefer cats ... bad form.

I don't believe you ever met the cat our family used to own.

I'm gonna chalk you up as a poodle walkin, corvette driving, "yes dear" type just for that.

Last edited by 270person; 05-14-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
OHHHHH ... and why is that ? please tell us .. pets are not for everyone . My Point exactly ...
Nah.