Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default Seat Belt Question.

So my brother was driving a very short distance (couple blocks) today and got stopped by the RCMP. He was dead to rights guilty of not wearing his seatbelt. He quickly put it on while RCMP made his u-turn. My bro put the chest strap under his arm so it would look like he wasn't wearing it while he was. RCMP asked him why he was wearing his seat belt like that. Bro told him he always wears it that way because his dog gets his head caught in it when sticking his head out window. RCMP told my bro it's illegal to wear it like that and took bros paperwork to cruiser. 10 min. later RCMP gave paperwork back and bro got off with warning.
My question... Is it illegal to wear your seatbelt under your arm? I don't think it would be comfortable, but is it illegal? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
So my brother was driving a very short distance (couple blocks) today and got stopped by the RCMP. He was dead to rights guilty of not wearing his seatbelt. He quickly put it on while RCMP made his u-turn. My bro put the chest strap under his arm so it would look like he wasn't wearing it while he was. RCMP asked him why he was wearing his seat belt like that. Bro told him he always wears it that way because his dog gets his head caught in it when sticking his head out window. RCMP told my bro it's illegal to wear it like that and took bros paperwork to cruiser. 10 min. later RCMP gave paperwork back and bro got off with warning.
My question... Is it illegal to wear your seatbelt under your arm? I don't think it would be comfortable, but is it illegal? Thanks.
Yes it is

In Alberta, the law requires all occupants traveling in a vehicle to wear a seat belt, and it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that all passengers under the age of 16 years are properly restrained in the vehicle. If passengers are not properly restrained, the driver may receive a seat belt fine. Seat belts must be worn correctly, using the complete seat belt assembly, which means the lap belt is across the top of the hips and the shoulder belt goes across the chest. Shoulder belts cannot be behind occupant’s backs or underneath arms. The fine for not wearing a seat belt is $155.

Last edited by bubba 96; 05-11-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 PM

OMG.....You could have gotten two ticket. one for seat belt and having a distractive dog jumping around in cab ?.........Ernest what else have you been doing.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
OMG.....You could have gotten two ticket. one for seat belt and having a distractive dog jumping around in cab ?.........Ernest what else have you been doing.
Nothing to do with me John. I was surprised my brother didn't get a ticket, which made me wonder.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Yep , My daughter was pulled over by the local PITA bored peace officer as well.

She also had it tucked under the arm. No fine, but a warning was issued.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM

It was decent of the officer to only give him a warning.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Yep , My daughter was pulled over by the local PITA bored peace officer as well.

She also had it tucked under the arm. No fine, but a warning was issued.
When you tuck the belt under your arm...from the outside it definitely looks like you're not using it...which most definitely against the law.
So why is a peace officer doing his job a PITA??
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
When you tuck the belt under your arm...from the outside it definitely looks like you're not using it...which most definitely against the law.
Most people are delusional as to what peace officer work actually consists of.

Also if we didn't have the usual weekly bashing of our law enforcement community,
Some individuals wouldn't have a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

As for Ernest.

I would also think it's a safety thing.
Nothing preventing your brothers upper body from being violently thrown against the steering column in a collision,
or the rapidly expanding airbag(s).
Old 05-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
And when the PITA Police officer knocks on your residence door, and says,,

Sadly I have to inform you your kin, xxx , is deceased from an auto wreck ,,

Yep, PITA police officer
Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Yes it is

In Alberta, the law requires all occupants traveling in a vehicle to wear a seat belt, and it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that all passengers under the age of 16 years are properly restrained in the vehicle. If passengers are not properly restrained, the driver may receive a seat belt fine. Seat belts must be worn correctly, using the complete seat belt assembly, which means the lap belt is across the top of the hips and the shoulder belt goes across the chest. Shoulder belts cannot be behind occupant’s backs or underneath arms. The fine for not wearing a seat belt is $155.
X2, End of discussion.

S. 82 of the Vehicle Equipment Regulations, under the Traffic Safety Act.

And for the other fella, oh boo hoo, your daughter got caught doing something wrong. Doesn't make the officer a PITA. Hopefully she learned her lesson.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Banned

Legally, you're required to use the seatbelt and all the features. Driver is required to use the chest belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Nothing preventing your brothers upper body from being violently thrown against the steering column in a collision,
or the rapidly expanding airbag(s).
Yep. I had one head on collision in my life 20 years ago. Had the seatbelt on, no air bags. Combined speed was probably 130 kph. You haven't lived until you had a seatbelt catch you, and realize without it, you'd be wrapped around the steering column with your head through the wind shield.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Was talking to the highway sheriff the other day ,as they got a few new undercover ghost Ford explores, he was telling me that with that new vehicle they are harder to spot but he caught 8 seatbelt tickets that day on highway 2he said the ones woman excuse was because her boobs were to big, So I guess she hopes that her own airbags will save her.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Was talking to the highway sheriff the other day ,as they got a few new undercover ghost Ford explores, he was telling me that with that new vehicle they are harder to spot but he caught 8 seatbelt tickets that day on highway 2he said the ones woman excuse was because her boobs were to big, So I guess she hopes that her own airbags will save her.
They're getting tricky.
A few days ago I saw someone in Edmonton pulled over. Behind him, blue and reds flashing was a maroon Ford 150, maybe within the last couple years model that was filthy. Looked like it had been out in the boonies for a week.
Looked exactly like the kind of truck that some hotrodder would blow by and cut off because it's 'just a farmer in a truck'.
Kinda funny in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
They're getting tricky.
A few days ago I saw someone in Edmonton pulled over. Behind him, blue and reds flashing was a maroon Ford 150, maybe within the last couple years model that was filthy. Looked like it had been out in the boonies for a week.
Looked exactly like the kind of truck that some hotrodder would blow by and cut off because it's 'just a farmer in a truck'.
Kinda funny in my opinion.
Nothing new there Bob back in 1970 the RCMP that patrolled the perimeter hwy around Winnipeg used to drive a Plymouth Road Runner with STP and Thrush Muffler stickers on the back of vehicle.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Not getting into it over a glorified dog catcher with a chip on his shoulder, but if you lived here I garantee you would share my, and many, many more of the same views of said particular individual.

Was not a bash for law enforcement, just my opinion that I share with many others.

Carry on.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Not getting into it over a glorified dog catcher with a chip on his shoulder, but if you lived here I garantee you would share my, and many, many more of the same views of said particular individual.

Was not a bash for law enforcement, just my opinion that I share with many others.

Carry on.
If he pulled her over for a traffic offense, his scope far exceeds being a "Glorified dog catcher"...

Where is "here", exactly?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:35 PM

Saw a video a long time ago where some guy was driving with just the waist part of the seat belt on but the chest part behind him. Crashed at high speed and it snapped his back or neck or something like that... wasn't pretty. Worn my seat belt always ever since even if it was just a 20 second drive somewhere.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Hi 5 for the Mountie that pulled your brother over.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Carry on.

Large and bald by chance??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Hi 5 for the Mountie that pulled your brother over.
I agree. He was dead to rights not wearing his seat belt. Good of the RCMP to just give him a warning.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Yes it is...I got a ticket for it two years ago.

LC
Old 05-13-2017, 04:19 AM

For me, not wearing my seatbelt is like
slipping into my shoes without socks.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:03 AM

Was a check stop a few days ago by my house in Edmonton. Checking for seat belts, baby car seats etc... Mid day they were checking. Must be enforcing budget top up levels. Habit for me now, I always wear mine and properly.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Banned

Had it proved how important it is to wear them...ALWAYS.
We were hosting a trade show awhile back when one of the reps wanted to drop something off at his hotel only a few blocks away.
Less than a five min drive, in a hurry and didn't belt up.
Block and a half away from the store a minivan ran a red light, wrote off his F150 and broke some ribs.
The emerg staff said he was lucky...also said that if his belt had have been done up there would have been no broken ribs.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
For me, not wearing my seatbelt is like
slipping into my shoes without socks.
This. Feels weird without having socks on and definitely feels bad having no seat belt on. Now sometimes though I might go to some nearby stores which are all a 5 minute walk away and just say screw the socks when I go out. Too lazy to do it sometimes. Seat belts though, never lazy putting them on.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Banned

Seat belts are great! Period!

But many enforcement people suffer from an extreme bloated head. Something in their DNA attracts them to having authority a.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Seat belts are great! Period!

But many enforcement people suffer from an extreme bloated head. Something in their DNA attracts them to having authority a.
You haven't noticed a hell of a lot of civilians have mental issues too?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You haven't noticed a hell of a lot of civilians have mental issues too?
Not to the same degree regarding authority. The idea enforcement people are in their position to "serve the public" is bs.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Not to the same degree regarding authority. The idea enforcement people are in their position to "serve the public" is bs.
That is a pretty rude comment you just made, the majority of LEO's I know are the complete opposite of your attitude towards them.
But then, if a person interacts with somebody with a preconceived notion that they are "out to get you" , they can expect a likewise response.

Cat
Old 05-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I've found most people that have this broad strokes opinion are usually the ones with the attitude problem.

Had my license plate stolen Friday night. Officer was at my house 15 mins after we called it in to take a statement. Kitscoty is 10 mins away from my town. Was a great guy. Very open and had a great discussion with him about my rights and what could get a guy in trouble.

Never in my life had an issue with an officer. Maybe Kitscoty just got lucky and got all the best ones... maybe treat them with respect and they'll do the same.