Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Edmonton Toyota Dealer

I am considering a new Tacoma. Does anyone have a recent positive experience at a local Edmonton Toyota dealership? Anyone buy a new Tacoma recently? Are dealerships negotiating or sticking to MSRP?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 AM

I bought from Mayfield Toyota 5 years ago, and have had excellent service(basic maintenance) from them. They were one of the two dealerships that I found willing to negotiate. Homesteader recently bought a Tacoma from Kingsway, and was a little disappointed with them. I'm sure he will be on here soon.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Banned

The best approach I have found to get the best deal on a truck is to go to a minimum of 5 different dealerships in the city you are in.

Walk in knowing exactly what you want model, color, options etc. When you talk to the sales person be upfront and tell them that you are talking to four other dealerships about the truck you want and the best price will win your business.

Some dealerships will be more aggressive in reducing their price for a multitude of reasons. Compare the quotes and the best price wins!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I bought from Mayfield Toyota 5 years ago, and have had excellent service(basic maintenance) from them. They were one of the two dealerships that I found willing to negotiate. Homesteader recently bought a Tacoma from Kingsway, and was a little disappointed with them. I'm sure he will be on here soon.
We bought two vehicles from Mayfield over the years. Overall a decent experience, some hiccups with 'misinformation', but otherwise pleased with the sales and service.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Our family including some inlaws all buy at Mayfield. Think theres about 8 Toyotas now between us.
Were you got to watch them is in the service end of it. They will bite you there but then most dealers do. Example: daughter was taking it in regularly for its free oil changes. I looked at the bills and see they charged her for a cabin filter every time and it was around $ 50 each time. Cabin filter dont need changing even in the book anywhere near every oil change period. Havnt installed one in about 20000 k and its still clean. Never did get any satisfaction over that either.

There is more stuff like telling the other kid that trouble light coming on all the time was nothing and resetting it,then when off warrantee telling her she needed $2500 worth of cat.convertors cause light is coming on. We had to go direct to Toyota over that one and got a break but still out of pocket to the tune of $600 They will work those who dont know anything. But hey if you want a Toyota you gotta buy it somewhere so lessor of the evils i guess or at least we know there games now and they know we know so havnt had too much trouble lately. All this is on paper we can prove.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:08 PM

Just say no to Mayfield Service. Run when they talk about free oil changes!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dona View Post
Just say no to Mayfield Service. Run when they talk about free oil changes!
When I was negotiating, I took that out of the deal - it just sounded suspicious!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
When I was negotiating, I took that out of the deal - it just sounded suspicious!

We left it in... So far, no issues... Other than the "free loaner" didn't apply for oil changes (which contradicted what the salesman told me). When I mentioned this to the service desk, they shrugged and told me, "salesmen lie." Pfft!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims23 View Post
I am considering a new Tacoma. Does anyone have a recent positive experience at a local Edmonton Toyota dealership? Anyone buy a new Tacoma recently? Are dealerships negotiating or sticking to MSRP?
I bought a 17 Off road last October. I hit Kingsway, Trail, and Mayfield. I told all that I was buying within 2wks, and give me their best cash price with the extras I wanted. I did not pit one dealer against another, simply said I was going with the best price, and I did. Kingsway was cheapest, with Mayfield very close. For me Kingsway turned into a gong show once they had my deposit. Since I had to order, and I'd already sold my vehicle, I just rode it out, but have not graced their doorstep since.

Trail said the price is the price, then got ****y and asked why I didn't give them a chance to match another dealer.

Mayfield has good and bad sales guys, but they all do. PM me if you want, I'll give you my exact numbers, and who I felt was worthy. I saved approx 3k off retail if that helps you any.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:19 PM

I bought a new Tundra in 2015 and than another new one in December a 2017 when the dealer called asking me if I would trade my 15 in.
When I bought my 15 I knew exactly what I wanted, color, trim package etc. So I went and seen the local dealer in Lloydminster. They gave me a fair price or so I thought. Than I called Saskatoon & 2 Dealers in Edmonton (Cant remember the names) I told them all the price the local dealer offered me and if they could beat it and make it worth my while id drive down and buy one. All 3 dealerships told me the exact same thing, "We will knock 500$ off that price just to get you down here but thats the best we can do"
So I bought local.
I saved about the same as Homesteader 3000$.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Default They differ

Know what you want pay only your price walk away, check out the Tacoma forum see what guys pAid I saw 6000 price swings in sask and alb. When I bought
Old 05-09-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims23 View Post
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy from Kingsway. I bought a truck, went to pick it up and saw that the rear quarter panel had been bent up near the exhaust pipe. It looked like the lot boy backed in to a curb. They ordered me a new truck from Sherwood Toyota, but when I went to pick up the "new" truck I noticed the rock guard sticker on the front of the same quarter panel wasn't stuck on properly. I enquired about it and told not to worry about it. I took the truck (although I shouldn't have) and looking back I'm sure they simply repaired the original quarter panel and mounted it on the new truck. The paint and clear coat on that rear quarter panel never matched the rest of the truck.

I have had good experiences at Gateway Toyota, but with that said, all dealerships are cut from the same cloth.....

Last edited by Hooter; 05-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:27 PM

i will never ever set foot into the mayfield toyota service dept again . incompetent liars .
Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 PM

I bought from Mayfield. Love my Tacoma, but no way in hell I would ever deal with Mayfield again. We bought two vehicles at the same time, Tacoma for me and a RAV4 for my wife. Got a deal on the truck but they managed to pencil in an extra percentage on the interest on the RAV4 after we signed. Interesting that spot on our copy was damaged when it was handed to us. My wife caught the percentage adjustment after we took possession. I would get another Toyota, but never from Mayfield.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM

I've bought used and new from Mayfield and Sherwood Park. Great experience all round. BUT, the shop is run to the same quality as all other dealership shops, 99% crappy. I would buy again, no problem, but their shops will never touch them. Run away from the oil change deal. Much hyped, but a real PITA to take advantage of, unless you live close to the dealer.

Vic
Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Go see andrew and mayfield
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Go see andrew and mayfield
Andrew Dye is who I dealt with. They even sent me a couple $100 cheques for client referrals that developed into sales.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:09 PM

When I bought my 4Runner I emailed all of the Toyota dealerships in town with the deal I wanted. Sherwood Park came back with the closest deal so I drove out there and bought it. No surprises and ended up really happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Why is everyone so nervous about the free oil changes?
I love it!
I also love they that they pushed oil changes back to 16,000km
Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 AM

When I bought my first Toyota at Mayfield in 2000, I was told to just bring it in when it needed it, and it would only take 30 minutes, just like the lube shops. First time I brought it in, the shop said, why didn't you make an appointment? When I explained what I had been told, they said OK, have a seat. 2.5 hours later, I got my 4Runner back. Next time, I made the appointment, for just after lunch, on my way home. When I got there, I was told that they were a little backed up, so it should only be 45 minutes. 3 hours later, I got the 4Runner back. The final straw was when I had a weird rock kicked up, and it broke my driver's side mirror. Made an appointment, with clear description of what was wrong, and brought it in. I was asked, where is the mirror? We cannot order that, you need to do it through our parts department yourself, and when it is in, just bring the truck back, and we'll install it, no appointment needed. I ordered the mirror, and when phoned that it was in, came in with the truck. Then I was told that I should have booked an appointment, and anyway, they were now booking 3 weeks ahead. I left, and never went back to any Toyota dealer shop.

Vic
Old 05-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Kingsway used to be a great place to deal. We dealt there for 40 years., when they were down on Kingsway. After they sold out it went to hell in a hand basket. The last time I had any service work done there, timing belt, was 2 years ago when they were still on 97 ST.

Here is a link to the review I did of that experience, in case you are interested.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/kingsway-toyota-edmonton

They finally got it right but if I had not known a lot about cars I believe I would have got hosed royally.

Mayfield is even worse and the service shop at Mayfield is atrocious. Never dealt at Sherwood park.

I have always done all of my own service work on our domestic vehicles most of my vehicles, and now on the Toyota and Lexus too, because I can't stand the incompetence of the dealerships. I have also found a real good private mechanic for when I am feeling too lazy or busy to do the repairs.

Unfortunately, the same guys that now own Kingsway also own the west end Lexus. Another place where the service and warranty work went from excellent to pretty shabby after it was sold. The head parts guy, Mohamed, who worked for Kingsway for 35+ years now runs parts at the west end Lexus. He is still great to deal with if you just need parts.

If you read the actual Dealer Rater ratings on the site, rather than going by the supposed aggregate star score, both places have a ton of negative reviews. I hope someone comes up with a strong recommendation for a dealer as I would not buy another Toyota if I had to deal at Kingsway (now Northwest Toyota) or Mayfield.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM

Default thumbs down to Mayfield Toyota service dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i will never ever set foot into the mayfield toyota service dept again . incompetent liars .
X2
Old 05-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Bought a Tacoma in 2009 from Mayfield, not only was the Tacoma an utter POS in just about every way, Mayfield was actually worse than the truck.

Easily the worst vehicle for overall quality and design and by a million miles the worst car dealer I have ever encountered in 5 provinces.

It was quite a while ago and you can see I'm not quite over it.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Cochrane Toyota

If you are looking to outfit your Tacoma with some 4x4 / overlanding gear. It may be worth the trip to Cochrane Toyota. They carry lots of stock on items that the usual dealers do not.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Owning a 2016, be aware the 6speed is shift galore on the highway. Depending how much highway you drive it might drive you nuts. Also 228,000 of them are recalled right now for diff leaks. Also many of the trannys are low on fluid from factory but sealed so hard to get them to check it.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy. It's my second Tacoma. I'll sell you my 2016 limited lol lol

Mayfield is the dealer to go to, get the Toyota ecp platinum coverage for full coverage and free services. The new ones get oil changes every 16 K but expensive so far.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 AM

Mayfield is terrible. The sales department, and service department are a bunch of liars. Make sure you get in writing any add ins the salesmen proposes. I gave the service department more than enough chances at redemption.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:43 AM

Careful when running around looking for prices at the different dealerships... my experience here in calgary is most of the dealerships are owned by " groups" the Kaizen group, Dalari group and I think the Davis Group and they own multiple dealers all over alberta. You give them your name and they throw it into the computer and search ... the next dealer from the same group does the same thing and automatically sees what you were inquiring about at the other dealer... really hard to get competitive prices between dealerships when they know what you have been offered. Go in near the end of the month as well as they will always be more willing to "sell" to make month end. Know the value of your trade and don't tell them you have a trade until you've negotiated the price of the vehicle ...they hate that and scowl but it'll give you the best deal and have a reasonable expectation of trade value as they do have to eventually sell it.
Good luck.... I came across a great deal and traded in a 2014 2500 HD with 71K kms for a 2016 loaded 2500HD demo with 5200 kms.... straight across trade....and lower financing rate... end of the month deal!! Deals are out there!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 AM

I've got a buddy in Edmonton who tells me Mayfield is the worst there and that Sherwood Park was a bit better in terms of service.

If you're ever in Calgary for Toyota dealerships I'd recommend the Country Hills Toyota location, I've had nothing but great service there for the past few years.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Will never set foot in Gateway for service, and will never buy from Mayfield.

Gateway replaced the tailgate on my '07 Tundra under warranty. Ordered it in, called me when it came in, made appt. for 0730, sat there for 4 hours waiting until they finally came out and said they had just opened up the box and the tailgate wasn't painted. Wasted 1/2 a day to find that out. Sent it out for painting, made another appt., sat for almost 3 hours that time before they called me out into the garage to see something, and that was that the paint wasn't an exact match (looked like heII). Sent me to a body shop where they actually did a paint match on my body and got it right, of course I had to leave it with them for a few days. Had to plead for a loaner from Gateway while I waited. So, 3 trips into Edmonton, basically 3 half days wasted, to get a simple tailgate replacement. They weren't going to provide the upgrades to the new tailgate (3M on the paint of the old one as well as Line-X on inside) which I understood as it was a warranty job and the improvements were my own responsibility, however after the huge debacle getting it done properly, I said the least you can do is send it for Line-X. Said she had to check with her manager, who conveniently wasn't there, and get back to me. Never heard a thing...

Was shopping for a new Tundra in '15. Mayfield had one on their website that was exactly like I wanted, plus had been modded a bit. Lift and level with upgraded suspension, Toyos on Fuel rims, custom leather. Price was very good considering the upgrades so I called to make sure it was still available (it was) then drove up from Leduc into the west end after I got off work that day. Met the salesman, took it for a test drive, then went in to talk turkey as I really liked it. Right away the bait and switch came out. Oh sorry, my mistake, I'm the online sales manager and when I listed it I forgot to include the add-ons into the list price. Wait a minute, this is the price you listed it at, I drove up here to see it, now this?? We can get you those upgrades at cost, but can't eat the $8k in upgrades unfortunately, mistakes do happen. a friend tells me his golfing buddy is a sales manager at Kingsway and to go see him, tell him he had sent me. I give him a call, he says he'll beat any offer from Mayfield. I used Mayfield like a rented mule at that point as I was still furious with them, got a printed out quote (they did quote me a good deal from what I had seen elsewhere) including upgrades at a good price, and I in turn used that to leverage my deal at Kingsway. Unfortunately, that gent has since moved on so not sure where I'll go for next truck as I'm sure Kingsway would be just like the others without knowing someone in store. Major PITA, but I got the truck I wanted for the price I wanted.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwrench View Post
I've got a buddy in Edmonton who tells me Mayfield is the worst there and that Sherwood Park was a bit better in terms of service.

If you're ever in Calgary for Toyota dealerships I'd recommend the Country Hills Toyota location, I've had nothing but great service there for the past few years.

Funny you say mayfield isn't good but country hills is when they are owned by the same person, in fact their service plan works at either dealer