Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 AM

Default GoPro cameras

This year we will have two Nodwell track rigs for hunting. I'd to put something like a GoPro on one to film the other one.

I've done some reading on them - mostly the Amazon reviews on the various models. Frankly, with all of the various models (and pricing) I'm confused as to which one would be best for me. Is the latest and most expensive one the best, or do the various models do different things better than others?

Here's two of my questions - how long can I film with the largest SD card and how long will the battery last or can I hook up power to it from a 12V source? The trip in is 10 to 12 hours and I'd like to be able to film all of it without having to remember to stop and check things when we're in all of that mud.

Thanks

Bill
Old 05-05-2017, 04:38 AM

I have the latest, and it's nice. But the thing won't run for too long without filling up the card. It will record in 4 k, but realistically I will probably never use it for that. In 1080, it will only hold about 40 minutes of recording at an unremembered frames per second. I think I had it second fastest.

Battery lasts roughly a couple hours, depending on what you are doing. I have 2 (expensive!) batteries for it. Recharging happens in the unit which can be a pain, at times. Also have a power pack which will recharge a battery I think about 4 times fairly quick.

With the newer one, it's nice having a viewing screen and external controls.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-05-2017, 08:43 AM

This is a chart of approximate video times at various recording qualities.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gop...ze-gopro-hero4

GoPro are notorious for poor battery life. The best I get is 2hrs from factory batteries. The cheap Amazon ones are even worse. They can be plugged in to a power source with the charge cable for continuous shooting. All you will need in the nodwell or any vehicle is a standard 12v to 5v lighter adapter. Using the power adapter will require a different case, one with a hole in the side to get the cord into the camera, the downside of that is your camera isn't in a water/dirt/mud resistant case.

There are special backpack battery cases that extend records no time and protect he camera, but I have no experience with them.

My camera is a Hero4 silver. It's been a good unit so far. I don't have any computers/tablets that can handle anything higher def than 1080p, the higher quality recording capability is wasted for me.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-05-2017, 09:46 AM

The higher definition recording does help when you want to remove shake, or want to zoom in a specific segment of the frame in post. Depends on what you want to create with the footage.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

I have a GoPro hero 4 silver with a few mounts I've owned for about a year and never used, $330 and it's yours. PM me if you're interested.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 AM

I bought this one a couple months ago and have used it skiing and in the ocean and it works great for both.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's half the price of many go-pros because is doesn't do 4k, but looks great on 1080/60fps. Sound is very good. This is a much better camera than the knock-off go-pro I originally bought (you definitely get what you pay for - the knock-off broke quickly). The still camera on this is only 8MP, but seems to take decent pics. I also like that it is inherently waterproof (no waterproof case required). Battery also seems very good.

If you are in the field and want multiple charges, consider buying something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/JETech-2-Outpu...rtable+charger

This model would recharge a go-pro 4 or 5 times easily.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Have 2 gopros there are also other brands out there .garman

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 AM

I got the GoPro Silver from Costco from my wife a couple years ago. It came with 2 batteries and a host of other goodies. Use one battery while the other is on the 12v charger (on the sled, quad or in the truck) and change as needed. Works like a charm.
Still playing with the desktop editing software. Tough to find the time (and Patience), I work on computers all day, try not to go anywhere near them at home.
I do like the Bluetooth on the phone control. Helps see where the thing is pointing and control the camera. I did post a couple vids on here, one of my kid catching perch under the ice, and another of some trout under a waterfall. Lots of fun to play with.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I have the latest, and it's nice. But the thing won't run for too long without filling up the card. It will record in 4 k, but realistically I will probably never use it for that. In 1080, it will only hold about 40 minutes of recording at an unremembered frames per second. I think I had it second fastest.
What size of SD card were you using for the 40 minutes of recording at 1080? There are reasonably priced 128GB quality SD cards available and there are 256GB cards if I need to go to one of those for the trip.

I agree that 1080 is good enough.

Bill
Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I bought this one a couple months ago and have used it skiing and in the ocean and it works great for both.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's half the price of many go-pros because is doesn't do 4k, but looks great on 1080/60fps. Sound is very good. This is a much better camera than the knock-off go-pro I originally bought (you definitely get what you pay for - the knock-off broke quickly). The still camera on this is only 8MP, but seems to take decent pics. I also like that it is inherently waterproof (no waterproof case required). Battery also seems very good.

If you are in the field and want multiple charges, consider buying something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/JETech-2-Outpu...rtable+charger

This model would recharge a go-pro 4 or 5 times easily.

I just noticed this model is $70 off at Best Buy until May 18. $209 for this camera is very good deal IMHO.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...05-05-10415309
Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrig View Post
What size of SD card were you using for the 40 minutes of recording at 1080? There are reasonably priced 128GB quality SD cards available and there are 256GB cards if I need to go to one of those for the trip.

I agree that 1080 is good enough.

Bill
I had to check; don't have the camera in front of me, so I checked online and I believe it's this: 64GB LexarŽ microSDXC.

There are 128 GB options that will work, but I don't believe there is a 256 that is recommended.

You almost need a way to upload (offload, download??) the cards while on your trip. I would say, though that trying to record the trip in entirety would be tough to watch and edit.

Took mine to Mexico, and Tuktoyaktuk, and did not find the lack of capacity a real hindrance in most cases. It might have been nice to have a bit more, but it was more about capturing a zip line run, climbing to the top of Coba ruins, and jumping and swimming in a cenote. Just no way to relive the whole thing, but it did catch a lot of high lights. It was nice that it filled in for a regular camera for big landscape pictures also.

Pureblood!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 PM

Well, I bit the bullet today and ordered the the GoPro Hero5 Black. The price was back to US$399. It comes with a 64GB card and I ordered a 128GB also.

Also bought the remote as I plan to mount it on the outside of the windshield in the middle where I can't reach it to turn it on and off during the boring parts of the trail or when we're stopped for some reason.

Since it will be mounted outside I hope there's a way to tether the camera so that if a limb knocks it or the mount fails somehow, I don't loose it in one of the rivers or miles of mud.

I'm sure I'll come back with more questions when I actually try to use it.

Bill
Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 PM

Search GoPro tethers, lots of options for added piece of mind, and they are cheap.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-06-2017, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrig View Post
Well, I bit the bullet today and ordered the the GoPro Hero5 Black. The price was back to US$399. It comes with a 64GB card and I ordered a 128GB also.

Also bought the remote as I plan to mount it on the outside of the windshield in the middle where I can't reach it to turn it on and off during the boring parts of the trail or when we're stopped for some reason.

Since it will be mounted outside I hope there's a way to tether the camera so that if a limb knocks it or the mount fails somehow, I don't loose it in one of the rivers or miles of mud.

I'm sure I'll come back with more questions when I actually try to use it.

Bill
That's the one I have. I don't have a remote for it; but I'm pretty sure I can set it up to be controlled remotely by my phone.

I stuck a mount on the drivers mirror of my truck. Easy to reach to record, and put on/take off. Lets me keep an eye on it too. Cleaned it off well, and it seems to be sticking pretty well. But I was concerned about it falling off in the cold, or the screw backing out, so I took a piece of nylon twine and looped it around the mirror. The twine was small enough to pinch in the latch of the case.

So far I'm happy with mine; but I'm still learning how to use it, and have never seen all the footage on a nice big screen yet!

Pureblood!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Yes, per all of the reviews, you can get a phone app. However, out there, there isn't any cell service so we usually don't even take the phones (have a sat phone). And with most apps like that, I usually mess them up by hitting some button I shouldn't. The remote is a lot simpler and less stressful to use.

I did find the tether straps and ordered four of them - I like how they attach.

Bill
Old 05-14-2017, 10:40 PM

I also ordered a 256GB card for it - has anyone tried a card that large? I called GoPro tech about it and their answer was - we don't know, we haven't had time to try one. How's that for an answer? You'd think they would have tested it long before they ever started manufacturing it.

Bill
Old 05-14-2017, 11:32 PM

I run out of battery on my GoPro faster than sd cars capacity. get anextra battery now
Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
I run out of battery on my GoPro faster than sd cars capacity. get anextra battery now
I also got two extra batteries but for while using the large card during the trip I plan on having it plugged into power.

Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 AM

Last week I bought a brand new in the box 5 megapixel "mini action camera" with a waterproof case and 4 different mounts for 40 bucks. Should be fun. Not a GoPro but does just the same. It is an 'Iessentials'HD action camera. It has a 2" playback screen you can watch too. 70 minutes recording time on a battery charge. With a 32 GB microSD card I can record 320 minutes of video on the card. Can charge them with a UBS adapter that plugs into the lighter in a vehicle. Buy the camera with complete accessory kit online from the manufacturer for 60 or 80 bucks. A lot easier on the wallet than the gopros.

http://iessentials.com/cameras/action-cams.html
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Tags
gopro nodwell