Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Ross Seyfreid who has pretty good credentials wrote a very interesting article on the ideal hunting cartridge.
If you want to read it google " Busting the magnum myth, choosing your ideal hunting cartridge by Ross Seyfried.
Let us know if you agree.
This is what my father preached to me back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 PM

In 1988 I picked up full stocked Sako Finnbear in 30.06 and developed a decent handload around the Speer 165Gr. Grand Slam.
It's never let me down.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-08-2017, 05:05 PM

New to hunting as well - only at it three years now. Fierce 7mm Rem Mag. Over 9 lbs, so very light recoiling. Still learning what it likes, no time to hand load yet so will be using factory 150gr TTSX/160gr Accubonds/160gr Partitions depending on what it shoots the best and on game performance. Any suggestions? Took a deer with a 140g Corelokt last year, but planning to switch to a more versatile bullet weight to cover moose and elk.

Plan is to use my 7mm if there's a possibility of anything larger than deer and when hunting with my daughter. Have a Tikka T3 Compact light in 243 I've been, ahem, 'testing' for my daughter who is 11. Wanted it in 7mm-08 but couldn't find one when we decided to purchase. Will use the 243 if after coyote/deer only or if a lightweight, compact rifle needed. Shoots 95g SST Superperformance really well, at near box velocities despite only having a 20" barrel, ~ 3090. Wanted to use 100g Partitions, but measured velocities were only 2650 or so compared with 2850 on the box. Not as accurate as the SST's either.

Can't quite shake the desire for a tikka laminate in 308 or 7mm-08, but obviously no need with a 243 and 7mm. Plan to do my best to shoot the barrels out of these - given how much I get to shoot probably take me 10 years or so.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

This is a .243 Win bullet (100 gr soft point ) that killed a mature cow elk a couple months ago, around a hundred meter shot, broke shoulder, blew vitals apart, stopped at hide far side behind opposite shoulder , elk died pretty much on the spot , the spent bull it weighs around 60+ grs ,

Cow dressed out about 400 pounds in cooler

No magnum needed for that type of shot,

90% of all big game is taken within 200 yards,

If your shot sucks, it does not matter WHAT caliber your missing with,, or what brand of bullet you had
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
This is a .243 Win bullet (100 gr soft point ) that killed a mature cow elk a couple months ago, around a hundred meter shot, broke shoulder, blew vitals apart, stopped at hide far side behind opposite shoulder , elk died pretty much on the spot , the spent bull it weighs around 60+ grs ,

If your shot sucks, it does not matter WHAT caliber your missing with,, or what brand of bullet you had
Did you hit that with a speer?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Tikka T3 Lite, synthetic and blued, topped with a vortex diamondback 3-9x40mm shooting factory 139gr Hornady GMX loads in 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:27 PM

308 winchester 165 grain accubonds. Ruger no. 1a or Browning X-Bolt

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-08-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Did you hit that with a speer?
Yes sir, 100 gr Speer psbt
Old 01-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

6.5x47 for everything
Old 01-08-2017, 06:11 PM

I was a 40 year 7mm rem mag guy,but I am starting to really lean hard towards the 300wsm as my go to gun,infact there's another one in the mail on Monday,maybe something I feel I want to try out a lot more off and my 7mm is still up there.Change is sometimes a good thing.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Tikka T3 Lite, synthetic and blued, topped with a vortex diamondback 3-9x40mm shooting factory 139gr Hornady GMX loads in 7mm Rem Mag.
Pretty much exact same only using 160gr accubonds and a 4-12x40 vortex would like to upgrade to a better scope but kids and a wife snuff them dreams out
Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM

.270 winchester for everything.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
It's always good discussion ...

So the game to include are these big game animals

1--- deer
2--- black bear
3--- sheep
4--- moose
5--- elk

What makes you choose your cartridge ? Does your number 1 choice of game to hunt dictate the rest or do you have multiple guns for the list ..

For me I have mostly switched to the 300 WSM because my order of these are

1--- elk
2----black bear
3---- moose
4 --- deer
5---- sheep , probably no more
I like choosing "catch-all" cartridges, since I'm usually afield with more than one tag in my pocket when I hunt.

I started out hunting with a 7mm Rem Mag, which handles any of the game listed above.

I switched last year to a .308 Win. Although I still like the 7mm Rem Mag, I don't much like practicing with it. While I don't flinch, and I don't restrict practice to just benchrest, my shoulder gets sore after about 4-5 rounds, even with the Limbsaver. The .308 Win is far more accommodating to an extended range session. I've come to enjoy practice now, and make more trips out to do it than when I used only the 7mm Rem Mag. The .308 Win also handles any of the game listed just fine, is a pleasure to shoot, and is a bit lighter to carry around as well.

I use Nosler Trophy Grade Partitions in 165 grain in the .308 Win.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 PM

Within reason cartridge selection is almost a moot point.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM

270....Good for everything!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 PM

Currently a 270 WSM, for no reason what so ever.
WEll, till I find the .257 Wby Ultra-Lite that is.
Rob
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM

.243 for deer
7mm Rem mag for everything else.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Within reason cartridge selection is almost a moot point.
... when it applies to what ,Chuck ? Cartridge selection seems to be an important consideration for most hunters and shooters, both novice and experienced alike.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

True, but I just don't have as much confidence in it yet. Will see how it does on deer, but will be pickier with shot selection and distance than I would be with my 7 mm Rem mag on anything bigger. Sounds like it worked well for you, would not have thought a through the shoulder shot would be ideal for a 243 on an elk.

On the other hand, I shoot my 7mm as well or better than the 243 and I'd consider it a near ideal elk or moose caliber compared to adequate or legal minimum for the 243. Shooting the biggest caliber you can shoot well is reasonable, and for me that's the 7mm. As I said, bought the Tikka Compact for my daughter, but it's so handy to carry and lightweight I'll carry it myself when conditions are right.

Will start with it on deer and work my way up to bigger game depending on how it works in my hands. I believe confidence is a huge component of killing power; both that you can place the bullet well and that it will drop the animal cleanly. Again, I don't have that confidence in the 243 for elk or moose, at least not yet.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
... when it applies to what ,Chuck ? Cartridge selection seems to be an important consideration for most hunters and shooters, both novice and experienced alike.
Most of that is mental gymnastics. Bullet selection wins that race, and there are a myriad of cartridges that will take that group of animals cleanly.

The replies on this thread alone should lend some credence to that theory.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 PM

300saum
for everything
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 PM

I think there can be a lot to be said about ones confidence in a certain cartridge being a large art of their success. If you are hunting and are competent in the ability of the cartridge and the rifle you are using, you will likely have better bullet placement and retrieve more animals. I have a rifle like this. I don't think its actually anything special but its history of killing many game animals give me confidence.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 PM

This is a good thread. I like hearing what everyone else uses for their hunts.

I have a 7mm rem mag which I though would be my everything gun, but its heavy and has a 26" barrel which Im not a fan of. Then I bought a 7mm-08 for deer, thinking its "just" a deer gun...boy was I wrong. I now know lots of people use this cartridge as their "everything" gun. It may become my everything gun too. Love my 7mm-08.

Looking at another 7mm-08 (stainless and synthetic), or a 270 or 280 and selling my rem mag. to be my "everything" gun.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
It's always good discussion ...

So the game to include are these big game animals

1--- deer
2--- black bear
3--- sheep
4--- moose
5--- elk

What makes you choose your cartridge ? Does your number 1 choice of game to hunt dictate the rest or do you have multiple guns for the list ..

For me I have mostly switched to the 300 WSM because my order of these are

1--- elk
2----black bear
3---- moose
4 --- deer
5---- sheep , probably no more
This year for me the hunts went like in this chronological order:
1) black bear, kimber 280AI, 140 gmx
3) stone sheep, kimber 280AI with 162 Amax's.
4) elk, Mauser custom 300 wm with 180gr Winchester factory rounds
5) moose, same custom as above
6) mule deer, Remington 243AI, 105 Amax
6) whitetail, kimber 223AI, 75 amax.

Generally depends on my mood, and what's new in the safe and hasn't been blooded yet. With the exception of the 243AI/223AI, those get hunted for deer every year simply because I have much love for the rifles and clamberings.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM

My favourite gun is chambered in 270win so that goes most often, this year I picked up a 7mm-08 for my daughters so when they weren't hunting with me I carried it, and finally my 25-06rem gets used in the spring for black bear and late season mule deer. None of my rifles are used exclusively for one species it just comes down to what I feel like carrying that day.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Most of that is mental gymnastics. Bullet selection wins that race, and there are a myriad of cartridges that will take that group of animals cleanly.

The replies on this thread alone should lend some credence to that theory.
No question about the importance of bullet selection but I'm thinking most cartridges are chosen because of their ballistic performance and the bullet selection available for them .. not the other way around. Some cartridges in the same "group" definitely outperform others in most respects with any given caliber/weight bullet. Everyone has their favorite cartridges for a variety of reasons. Today there are enough good choices of both to make almost everyone happy...or so it seems.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
No question about the importance of bullet selection but I'm thinking most cartridges are chosen because of their ballistic performance and the bullet selection available for them .. not the other way around. Some cartridges in the same "group" definitely outperform others in most respects with any given caliber/weight bullet. Everyone has their favorite cartridges for a variety of reasons. Today there are enough good choices of both to make almost everyone happy...or so it seems.
Agreed,
and I think bullet placement is even more important.

You gut shoot a moose and bullet selection is of little value.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:20 PM

Weatherby Accumark in 340wby for everything.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:48 PM

308 custom
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 PM

Default cartridge choices

Picked up another .338 this year. I used this cartridge as my one and only, for many years, and then have been floating around with variable options for the last ten years. I would only likely use this one for a cow elk draw here on the prairies, as I have everything else covered.
Last season i used my SxS in 577/500 for deer and moose. Definitely adds spice to the hunt! Since then, I have also picked up another vintage SxS in 450 3 1/4" BPE. Not near as powerful, but should be awesome for another go at spring bear, and maybe a deer or two.
Bullet selection and placement will always be the key factors, no matter what caliber we use.