Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Interesting read:

Quote:

Ticks found on 'one third' of dogs, researchers say - BBC News

Sarah Bignell was a very fit and active vet before she went on a walking holiday in Aberfeldy in Scotland in 2011. "There was a small note in the cabin saying ...

Six weeks later, she started suffering pain in her bones, joints and nerves. Doctors put her symptoms down to other conditions, including multiple sclerosis or a brain tumour. However, Sarah's background meant that she knew to push for a Lyme disease test. She had been bitten by a tick - and she had been completely unaware of it. She also had no "bullseye rash".

It became agony "virtually overnight" for Sarah to deal with sound or light. She couldn't swallow, and when she could, it was agony. She had developed encephalitis. "I spent eight-and-a-half months locked in a room," she explains. She needed constant care and could no longer look after her dog and cat.

Over the next four-and-a-half years, Sarah had many close calls. "I was in danger of dying. I am very lucky," she says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37252925

Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 PM

My oldest son of 23 years is on the mend from RMSF. He was infected at work in Edmonton west end or in Bon Accord 3 weeks ago. Please check after every outing, their here all over Alberta.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:05 PM

I just got back from a week's fishing in Manitoba. Tick season is almost done there. Only had 7 wood ticks on me. I've gotten over it. Last fall I was lucky enough to walk through tall Grass north of Grande prairie where a pod of hundreds of baby ticks were waiting for me. Ticks in my truck.. clothes..phone.. frame pack.. everything. Each pass with a lint roller got 30+ ticks off me. Lol it was a bad scene.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 AM

Bump......it is that time of year.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:35 AM

Please bump....very serious......good reminder mrcrossbow......

Old 06-23-2020, 08:11 AM

Have a great summer and check yourself, kids and pets.........nobody ever died of embarrassment.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Have a great summer and check yourself, kids and pets.........nobody ever died of embarrassment.
Good reminder.

We check numerous times while on the hike than at the end of the day we do one big check over everything and everyone.

Since we started treating our clothes with permethrin we have yet to have another tick party like we did after the first hike this year lol. That was terrible
Old 07-16-2020, 09:13 AM

Reminder:
It is that time of the year.......

Play safe...

Old 06-14-2023, 08:26 AM

6 simple tips to avoid tick bites this summer so you can enjoy the outdoors safely

https://calgarysun.com/shopping-esse...es-this-summer

Old 06-14-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwtfanatic View Post
I've spent my 55 year life hunting, trapping, playing in the bush and have never seen a tick. And my dad before me the same.
Count yourself lucky! I’ve had 5 crawling on me this spring alone and haven’t even spent much time in the brush.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:42 AM

up until about 10 years ago I had never seen a tick and that time I saw two. Last year they showed up in the my yard and again this year, probably picked about 8 or 10 so far.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:05 AM

Might as well throw this in here for info: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404157
Old 06-15-2023, 10:28 AM

Are these the same kind of ticks you're talking about? Every coupla years they show up on these rabbits...

I've never come across one while mowing the grass etc. so not sure when/where they'll show up. They look like a severe PITA !! Do they end up killing the rabbits or do the ticks just freeze in fall/winter and disappear.....these are not tame rabbits but are used to me being around and no too afraid.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Might as well throw this in here for info: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404157
There is no such thing as "too much information" when it comes to lymes disease and ticks....

Art, Thanks for the AO reference and to Coiloil and others for the entries as well..

The guys who don't take ticks seriously are not only hurting themselves but they are putting their friends, families and pets at risk as well.

When Lymes Disease and Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms are used in the same sentence, it is serious and painful.

As stated in the past; "no one has ever died of embarrassment in checking yourself or others for these destructive insects."

Stay safe