Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Crow

Went to crow Monday...1 white 35 cm 1 rainbow 40 cm....and a couple real small guys....fun time...prince was the ticket also stone patterns....dark colors.....

Problem was I kept the white to smoke for my wife....but when I went to gut it it was all mooshy....warm weather and too much time passed....next time I'll bring a cooler I guess....

I'm gunna tie my own princes and weigh them down to get in pay zone quicker.....that's were they were...deep pools....

Happy
Old 08-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Crow is where I've fly fished for the first time. It's pretty nice. Caught at least 6 white fish and a rainbow. When we were leaving I caster 3 ft ahead of me in a very deep pool and I Hooked on an amazing bull but unfortunately didn't have the knowledge to know what to do and my line snapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishislife1 View Post
Crow is where I've fly fished for the first time. It's pretty nice. Caught at least 6 white fish and a rainbow. When we were leaving I caster 3 ft ahead of me in a very deep pool and I Hooked on an amazing bull but unfortunately didn't have the knowledge to know what to do and my line snapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool! How did you know it was a bull?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 PM

I've fished the Crow quite a bit......never caught a RMW or a bull. Cutties, cuttbows, bows and browns. Where did you catch the RMW? Upstream or downstream of Hillcrest?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM

There are bulls below the falls.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Lots of Rockies at the 5 star hole

Lots of Rockies in the deep hole by the retired police guys place in Frank.

Down round the lower Crow by Thompsons..... Walter the bull lives there.

Farther down round 'hellgramite bend' are lots of Bulls and Rockies.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM

i caught the rocky downstream of hillcrest.......
Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 PM

There are Rockies throughout

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 PM

Yea....agreed....they are everywhere.....but I think more of them below the falls....
Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Agreed
Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 PM

Was there again today....lundbrick campground...fishing not so good....caught a sucker and a white.....I think that stretch gets fished lots.....there is a road that is kinda by east Hillcrest bridge I wanna explore and see what's there....

Still searching for whites....not much luck.....I'm gunna try a different stretch next....I'm gunna try upstream of East Hillcrest bridge...never fished it.....

Happy
Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Above the falls is great fishing, big browns and bows lurking in there..

East Hillcrest Bridge is usually where I start and walk either direction.. you'll find what the locals call their "5 star honey hole" there along with run after run around there.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM

wow thanks bra....is the 5 star above east hill crest bridge?
PM me if u want....im gunna head to east hillcrest bridge next week for sure....if ur around we can fish together.....

i remember being at a hole that i would consider 5 star.....but i dont remember where it was....lol

tnx

Happy
Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 PM

Hi, all.

Just fished the Crow today downstream of the East Hillcrest Bridge. A few small guys, and one really nice fish. Gorgeous river.

Anyway, while there, I lost a "fly box". I live in Calgary so there's no point in returning it if you find it. Look for a red M&M Minis tube. I use them for my thingamabobbers and for the flies I want to access quickly. If you find it, enjoy. I'm particularly fond of the two flies in there that I tied up especially for cutts. I call them the cheesy-poof. You'll know why when you see it.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 PM

Just fished it.on sat.....fished lower and upper from the bridge....caught only small ones.....didn't get deep enough in the pools I think......when it was getting dusk small ones were rising...didn't see any whites.....

Ohhh well still fun....I think they liked the PT fly the best.....if anyone very wants to fish the crow and live in calgary let me know!!! I can always learn from someone.....cause I think I suck...lol

Happy
Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 AM

New fly fishemen shot an episode there last year or the year before its in you tube phil rowley and local guide from the pass share info and techniques on the crowsnest river
Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

yea saw that......i just think the temp is too hot right now or something.....
Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
yea saw that......i just think the temp is too hot right now or something.....
Temps probably don't help (18C on Sunday), but flow is likely as much/more an issue. Water is very low and clear, so I am approaching it with super stealth, long leaders, and small tippet. Crow becomes a technical river this time of year from my few years experience fishing it. I saw some big fish on the weekend that were ultimately very disinterested in what I was throwing at em. Lots of little guys, yet to be educated to our ways, were much more inclined. I was out with a fellow who's fished the Crow for 40 years, and even he was only onto the little ones. If you are after size, maybe try terrestrials on undercut or brush-shaded banks. Don't always look to deep pools, as riffles are more oxygenated and can hold fish under these conditions that you will never find at other times of the year. Oh, and take my advice with a grain or two... I have tons to learn myself.