Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Question for dodge 1500 owners or dodge mechanics

So I noticed the smell of fuel when I have been getting out of the truck, weather was crappy for a bit so was hard to pinpoint a leak until today. This line (have not traced it yet) has rubbed a pinhole into the fuel tank. This line has a bow in it (from factory from what I can tell)

Has this happened to anyone else? The line is in the holders and from what I can see nothing has moved.

Biggest mistake of my life is buying a dodge, first time I have owned one and it has been nothing but a lemon and the service has been complete garbage.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Year ???
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Year ???
Sorry 2014 outdoorsmen
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

I effed up and bought two. My 2016 3500 has been in the shop 3 times. It just rolled over 55000. My wife's old 2011 never had this issue or really any issue at all except dust in the cab.

JB weld might be your best fix.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Sorry 2014 outdoorsmen
no problem ... mine's an 04 ... but thank's for the head's up gonna through on the covey's and check mine .
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Could check for a recall as well.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 PM

Just had a look at mine (2011 5.7 crew, 120L tank), those lines have a 1/2 in clearance around the tank. It does have a bow in it. Yours is way out of spec, it looks like it was bent or out of its holder upstream from the tank. Possible something not aligned from the factory. Can't really tell. See pic of what it should look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0928.jpg (59.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I effed up and bought two. My 2016 3500 has been in the shop 3 times. It just rolled over 55000. My wife's old 2011 never had this issue or really any issue at all except dust in the cab.

JB weld might be your best fix.
Not on a fuel tank, at least not as a permanent fix. Could get you out of the bush or safer for a few days but that's about it. Reminds me, I should pick up a tube to keep in there just in case.

2011 was the last 'good' year from what I can tell, seems everyone but me hates them but always newer ones. Outside of the stuff I've broken and normal wear and tear, no serious problems.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Could check for a recall as well.
Already did...no recall
Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 AM

12 was the last good year , then fiat started ordering parts from their suppliers . that line gets bent and pushed around from off road debris hitting it and mud hanging off of it usually, see it on alot of gas oil field trucks , when we still had oil field trucks . if your under 60000km the dealer might help you out , if you bought it used likely some drilling rig foreman beat the stuffing out of it before you got it .
Old 05-14-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
12 was the last good year , then fiat started ordering parts from their suppliers . that line gets bent and pushed around from off road debris hitting it and mud hanging off of it usually, see it on alot of gas oil field trucks , when we still had oil field trucks . if your under 60000km the dealer might help you out , if you bought it used likely some drilling rig foreman beat the stuffing out of it before you got it .
Care to expand on that? You mean they changed suppliers from Canada/US based manufacture to wherever fiat gets parts from? That would explain a lot...
Old 05-14-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Care to expand on that? You mean they changed suppliers from Canada/US based manufacture to wherever fiat gets parts from? That would explain a lot...

This makes sense

They are covering the issue under extended warranty but the new fuel line has to come from the states and is 2 weeks away. So now my truck is down for 2 weeks or more.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
This truck has seen very very little offroad use. The wife uses it around town while im gone for work. I have extended warranty and they said that will cover it
Old 05-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
This truck has seen very very little offroad use. The wife uses it around town while im gone for work. I have extended warranty and they said that will cover it
Cool ... look's like a factory defect ... where was it built ??? ... say's on the door ...
Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
yes, thats what happened exactly, hemi lifters used to be made here , now they are german and fail all the time , valve train parts are always failing , 8 speed trannys shift like crap and there is no way to make it better ect ect, i fix them all day , and i bought a chevy because i'm not fixing my own truck all the time too.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
yes, thats what happened exactly, hemi lifters used to be made here , now they are german and fail all the time , valve train parts are always failing , 8 speed trannys shift like crap and there is no way to make it better ect ect, i fix them all day , and i bought a chevy because i'm not fixing my own truck all the time too.
Thanks, good to know. Just by hearing people talk about them I figured I'd have to go with GM next time, this pretty well confirms it. But I'm gonna keep the '11 running as long as I can.