Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Default Reversing a 5th wheel

Anyone got some pointers on this? 2ND year with a 5th and still can't back it up to save my life. Bumper pull, is a walk in the park. Can back one up through an obstacle course, not a problem. My record is 3km out a logging road that was a wrong turn, only had to pull forward and correct once.

I can't even back this in to a camp site without 4-10 tries. I've even tried Walmart parking lot after hours for practice, and no better off. Just seems like the truck moves a lot and the camper doesn't, until it's just jacked knifed lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 PM

go slow take your time, biggest problem is over reacting, I too have had problems twisted all the wires off my fifth wheel, grab the bottom of the wheel and then you push up realize the tail is going left in your mirror.
I'm still not very good but only time and practise helps, pulling a fifth is easier than a bumper pull, would only want a fifth wheel

Good luck
Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 PM

i look down at the wheels , not the trailer , and put the wheels where i want to go . as far as steering its no different than a bumper pull .
Old 05-13-2017, 10:51 PM

Much subtler less abrupt steering moves than with a bumper pull, remember the pivot point is about 4 feet closer to the drivers position than you have been used to.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Banned

I can't back up a trailer to save my life. last time I tried was launching a boat at Lac St Anne. Got a round of applause from the audience at the end of that ordeal
Old 05-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Banned

Have you considered changing your pin out ? The Reese revolution hitch is a simple bolt on feature that could cut your backing up difficulty in half, especially in tight places. A person simply unbolts the four tie down brackets with a friend and slips the new hitch in place.

Here's a video of the revolution in action

https://youtu.be/ndIZi4HApX0
Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 AM

I fine that 5th wheel is easier to back up .
you can get into tighter areas by Jackknife it in

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-14-2017, 08:32 AM

What I find backing up any trailer is that I don't start far enuff away from where I want the wheels to turn Like other have said I find if I starting far away I can then make small wiggles. Next time you pull out of a site note how far away you are when everything is in alignment and the route the tires took to get there. For me the revelation was how far I had to travel to get everything straight.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 AM

As others have said, the reaction is a lot quicker because of the position of the pivot hence your input has to be a lot more subtle. Too many folks wait until the trailer is far out of position and then try to bring it back...don't do this. When you are getting out of line, stop, reposition (ideally until you are straight), grab the wheel at the bottom and take another stab.

It helps to know how far left or right your wheels are turned, oversteering is a good way to make a mess. Use a spotter as well, they have a much better view back thee than you ever will.

Practise, practise, practise
Zeke
Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM

Practice backing up with super B's that way the fifth wheel trailer will seem easy jk. If you place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel you just have to move it the direction to want the trailer to steer.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
go slow take your time, biggest problem is over reacting, I too have had problems twisted all the wires off my fifth wheel, grab the bottom of the wheel and then you push up realize the tail is going left in your mirror.
I'm still not very good but only time and practise helps, pulling a fifth is easier than a bumper pull, would only want a fifth wheel

Good luck
Never owned a trailer in my life until we bought the 5th in 2012. Had previous experience with my dad's trailers. Like Gord says above, put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. When you want the trailer to back up to the left, your hand goes to the left.

5ers will respond slower (more input) than a bumper pull initially, but once they start to move they act just like a BP. This is what makes them easier to park into tighter spaces - because they don't react so quickly. Again, as previously mentioned, watch through the mirrors where the tire line is going.

My 5er is only 30' long, but I've gotten it into some really tight places with the help of the WD and going slow to watch the tire lines. Places that I don't think I could get a BP into (maybe I could with some practice).

For me, the 5er tows just a little more comfortable in heavy winds than when I've ridden along with a BP.

J.

EDIT: I see that my response is a little slow today....
Old 05-14-2017, 09:18 AM

Go slow be patient. Small corrections of the steering wheel because 5th wheels are more sensitive. Pull ahead and straighten out use all the room you have. Much easier to always start straight. And lastly remember that your pivot point is different from a 5th wheel to a bumper pull. And lastly practice practice practice. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:18 AM

And once you got it mastered, hook a boat up behind your 5th and back her up, the double pivot is fun. LOL, you will get it just take it slow.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 AM

i find the easiest way to do it is to always have your hands moving, I've been towing trailers since i was 18 working, and found that as long as i kept the steering wheel moving even if its just slightly back and forth it was easier to make the minor adjustments
Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 AM

Talking

Want 'Dad' to come show you?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Get the wife to spot for you that always helps!!haha

I used to love getting to site early enough to set up and crack a beer and watch couples damn near get a divorce backing there units in!!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM

About the only advice I can give has already been done- hand at 06:00 and small movements .
Other than that I can't teach well because I don't know how to explain it - I just do it
Cat
Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

Get a tent
Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 AM

I can back up my 5th wheel and 16ft boat, just don't over correct,
Old 05-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Banned

I am quite profiecient with a pull trailer but have never pulled or backed up a 5th wheel. One piece of advice I give people backing a pull trailer is that whenever possible approach the area you have to back into so that it is on the drivers side. That way you are using your drivers side mirror to watch your trailer going into the space you want to park it.
Don't know if that helps you at all.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Don't steer it. Follow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Lots of good advice here...You didn't mention but having decent tow mirrors that allow you to see the proximity of the trailer to obstacles goes a long way. Before I back into a spot I take a quick look and "visualize" how I'm going to go about it. Small corrections and don't rush.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I am quite profiecient with a pull trailer but have never pulled or backed up a 5th wheel. One piece of advice I give people backing a pull trailer is that whenever possible approach the area you have to back into so that it is on the drivers side. That way you are using your drivers side mirror to watch your trailer going into the space you want to park it.
Don't know if that helps you at all.
I think this is good advice.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM

The hitch is farther ahead than a bumper pull, so it responds more gently, don't crank on the wheel, just take it back nice and easy with only minor corrections I do a lot of backing as a truck driver, if you need to correct, just turn hard and move ahead about 2 or 3 feet, don't pull right back to the starting point.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i look down at the wheels , not the trailer , and put the wheels where i want to go . as far as steering its no different than a bumper pull .
I second this having pulled semi trailers for many years. The 5th wheel hitch being over the axles takes longer to react. A bumper pull has 2.5-4 feet of extra swing from the back axles, so it reacts faster.

With the 5th wheel, you can do both long gradual movements, and very quick angle changes with the steering axle and minor corrections...

You can do a lot more backing a 5th wheel than a bumper pull. When you're good at it, you can jack knife the trailer to do a U turn while reversing.

Practice, practice, practice. One time it'll all just click together, and it'll be great for you.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:00 PM

One difference between the pull and the 5th. As soon as your 5th starts to move then start correcting on the steering wheel.

It may take you a few trys but it will become easy once you get that planted in your mind. As soon as the trailer starts to move you start to correct. Simple
Old 05-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Get a tent
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Lots of good advise already mentioned. The only bits I have to add would be to watch the tires and react to them.
I also find when i'm going into a tight spot, I try to set the trailer so I am turning to my left, so I can see out the drivers window. Don't be scared to ask for help spotting (not directing, there is a difference), or stopping and checking periodically.
I live in the end of a cul-de-sac and when the 32'er comes home, I turn around at the end (usually 3-4 point turn) and back onto my drive way. There's always cars parked everywhere, and I've grown more than one grey hair doing it!
It's good the kids want to do more of their own thing now, i'm looking forward to downsizing!