Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Geotextile Fabric ?

So I have a few questions about the fabric I have been reading about. Who all on here has used and the results of it? What is the difference from the woven and non woven? I have put down new gravel every summer and it seems to disappear by next spring. My yard way and drive way are very stiff all summer but get slimy in the spring. I am just getting sick of the mud coming up through the gravel. It seems like the fabric is the the way to go but seems like there is negatives to it . How do you spread the gravel in a large yard with a skid steer and not rip it? I am also worried about snagging it with my gravel drag or a snowplow in the summer. What happens if it does rip? I just trucked in 110 tons of 1 1/2 crushed gravel so now debating to spend more money and buy the material before spreading this stuff

Any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 03:09 PM

I would not use it in areas that see lots of heavy traffic. It will surface and is a mess as it gets pulled out when you blade it up. If you use it where there is just light traffic make sure you have a good 6" to 8" lift of compacted 1.5" gravel.
I have used lots of both woven and non woven. They both are good. I prefer non woven. Heavy traffic areas you would be further ahead to strip off your 1.5" and drive some clean fractured 3" into the surface and then cap and seal with 1.5".
Geotextile is more meant for under your sub grade.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Road

Have you thought about Geo grid? If not I would use a bigger rock or woven Geo cloth. Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I would not use it in areas that see lots of heavy traffic. It will surface and is a mess as it gets pulled out when you blade it up. If you use it where there is just light traffic make sure you have a good 6" to 8" lift of compacted 1.5" gravel.

I have used lots of both woven and non woven. They both are good. I prefer non woven. Heavy traffic areas you would be further ahead to strip off your 1.5" and drive some clean fractured 3" into the surface and then cap and seal with 1.5".

Geotextile is more meant for under your sub grade.

I have heard it is good for driveways which would be considered heavy traffic. I have thought about stripping it all and putting big crushed rock down but around here we do not have larger enough rocks in the pits to be able to crush a 3 inch so it's all rounded anything larger then 2 '' crushed

Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer guy View Post
Have you thought about Geo grid? If not I would use a bigger rock or woven Geo cloth. Hope that helps.

I have not heard about that. What is the differences

Old 05-14-2017, 03:57 PM

These are broad generalisations - as there are many products, many materials used and lots of variables - but here's how I understand it .....

The best geotextile to use for a gravel driveway, (or reasonable high traffic area), if you are looking to prevent ruts, pooling and surface erosion in heavy downpours is the woven products. It will also do a great job of preventing mud from migrating up to the gravel. The down side is if you hook that with a tooth or the edge of your bucket when grading and it all comes up. The non woven breaks away a little easier and you end up making less of a mess.

The non woven isn't generally as good as the woven for prevention of ruts or draining water as quickly (which is what you want between a heavily permeable layer like gravel on top of a less permeable sub base like clay or soil) but is generally easier to work with and generally a little less expensive. It is, however, usually better in preventing mud migration upwards into the gravel.

They both do a reasonably good job and are "better than nothing".
Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
I have heard it is good for driveways which would be considered heavy traffic.
Its great for all kinds of applications, but generally, unless your running a trucking company out of your home, driveways are about as light traffic as it comes.

Quote:
I have not heard about that. What is the differences
Geogrid:

Geocloth, both woven and nonwoven, have multiple uses, one of which is a separator. They offer little to no strength to the road structure. Geogrid offers little as a separator (it has holes in it and the clay punches through) and is typically used to increase the CBR of the subgrade in conjunction with a textile or offer an increased structure while using less gravel.

Quote:
How do you spread the gravel in a large yard with a skid steer and not rip it?
You work your way across, always working off the gravel you're spreading. Similar to painting a floor without ending up in the corner.

Quote:
I am also worried about snagging it with my gravel drag or a snowplow in the summer.
You definitely want to ensure you have enough cover. Its not the end of the world if you tear it, but its a pain to fix and not desirable.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:02 PM

I love this stuff. I've seen it used impeccably on some swampy drilling locations. Decided to use it personally. Glad i did, been two years and my pad is rock solid
Old 05-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
These are broad generalisations - as there are many products, many materials used and lots of variables - but here's how I understand it .....

The best geotextile to use for a gravel driveway, (or reasonable high traffic area), if you are looking to prevent ruts, pooling and surface erosion in heavy downpours is the woven products. It will also do a great job of preventing mud from migrating up to the gravel. The down side is if you hook that with a tooth or the edge of your bucket when grading and it all comes up. The non woven breaks away a little easier and you end up making less of a mess.

The non woven isn't generally as good as the woven for prevention of ruts or draining water as quickly (which is what you want between a heavily permeable layer like gravel on top of a less permeable sub base like clay or soil) but is generally easier to work with and generally a little less expensive. It is, however, usually better in preventing mud migration upwards into the gravel.

They both do a reasonably good job and are "better than nothing".

Thanks for the info everyone, I am a little confused on the water permeable tho. By the sounds of it the non woven let's water past it into the clay. And the woven does not. So do you want the water to get through it or do you want the water to stay with the gravel layer? I would think the gravel layer would get mushy and soft if water was held in it?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
I love this stuff. I've seen it used impeccably on some swampy drilling locations. Decided to use it personally. Glad i did, been two years and my pad is rock solid

Which kind of fabric did you use? What kind of base and rock did you top it with ? How thick did you lay it on? Every have issues about grapping it with a snow blade or gravel drag?