Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Gopher Optics :)

OK.....in an attempt to keep this forum clear of "gopher topics" when lots of threads about big game are coming down the pipe...I thought I'd throw this out there in early August and hope for the best.

Spring 2018~I plan on revisiting SW Alberta again with my nephew, and while no scope change/upgrade is on deck for sure, I'm mindful of how much open-sights/closer range shooting we did last year in between the prone shooting with varmint-weight barrels. Got me thinking that (as the eyes get older) maybe optics might STILL be a good idea for the closer ones, but what reticle would be best? Would like to avoid AO/SF scopes because there isn't always time to mess with those...but...then what about parallax issues? I THINK something with fixed magnification, around 4X, with a "German" type reticle might be great for getting on target quickly, but even Leupold (who'll put a #1 or #4 in any scope apparently) "rimfire" scope has a parallax setting of 50 yards+.

I don't really care for red dots, but maybe it's because I've never owned, or shot with a good one. Not keen on relying on battery power though either. I do have a variable power Weaver V-16 (AO) with a target dot reticle, having read some guys like those for varmint work, but the reticle & dot are so fine that at first glance through the scope~it's as though you see no reticle at all.

Wouldn't be surprised if this topic had been done before here, but, I'm curious if anyone here uses optics (of any kind) for close-up gopher work. Has anyone had Leupold put a custom reticle in a scope? Lead time? I think I read somewhere that they can adjust the parallax too +/-...can anyone here confirm?

Apologies in advance for talking 2018 gophers. Remember, I'm in Ontario...and have to plan ahead.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 PM

What type of rifle are you putting this on? My rimfires wear Nikon.

Savage Mk II - Prostaff Rimfire II 4-12x40 (BDC)
Ruger 10/22 - P-Rimfire 2-7x32 (Duplex w/ drop compensation turrets)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM

For close up gophers i usually tend to keep my scopes between 4-6 power and because i often end up stretching further with the same scope i like a mildot reticle for refrence points when holding over. Under 50 yards a fine reticle is not needed. Between the 2 i would choose the german #4 as the thick post of the #1 would obscure the target at times.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
What type of rifle are you putting this on? My rimfires wear Nikon.

Savage Mk II - Prostaff Rimfire II 4-12x40 (BDC)
Ruger 10/22 - P-Rimfire 2-7x32 (Duplex w/ drop compensation turrets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
For close up gophers i usually tend to keep my scopes between 4-6 power and because i often end up stretching further with the same scope i like a mildot reticle for refrence points when holding over. Under 50 yards a fine reticle is not needed. Between the 2 i would choose the german #4 as the thick post of the #1 would obscure the target at times.
I have a BRNO 2E that might make the trip...possibly my Marlin 795. I have 2 scoped rifles sitting in Alberta right now, it's whether or not I bring a third. There is no semi, which makes me think my 795 might be a good choice. Hate cleaning semis though...especially when I'm tired and sunburned.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM

I tried a red dot on my 10/22, went back to a scope. The dot obscures too much varmint even at relatively close ranges, found the 2-7 power about perfect.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...ra-turret.html

I haven't tried out the ballistic turret yet really, shot my bolt gun a lot more this year - but plan to put it through its paces before next year.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Leupold Mark AR has nice fine cross hairs for gophers.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Got me thinking that (as the eyes get older) maybe optics might STILL be a good idea for the closer ones, but what reticle would be best? Would like to avoid AO/SF scopes because there isn't always time to mess with those...but...then what about parallax issues? I THINK something with fixed magnification, around 4X, with a "German" type reticle might be great for getting on target quickly, but even Leupold (who'll put a #1 or #4 in any scope apparently) "rimfire" scope has a parallax setting of 50 yards+.
I am also starting to get fussier about the quality of my rimfire scopes. I've got a few that I like, but my favourite hunting scope is the Weaver rv9. It's a 3-9x32 with AO. It looks 'right-sized' on my 452 and I find that the glass is more than adequate for daytime use. I don't find the AO to be an inconvenience. I set it at 50yds and only adjust it for very close or very far shots. The ability to focus the scope with the AO is nice, especially on the close targets.
The rv9 has a duplex reticle. This allows me to sight the main cross hairs at 50yds and if I adjust the magnification of the scope, the top of the thick section can be dead on at 100yds. On my set up, this happens with the maginification set at about 7x.

Quote:
I do have a variable power Weaver V-16 (AO) with a target dot reticle, having read some guys like those for varmint work,
IMO, a scope like your Weaver is an excellent scope for 22LR target shooting and for shooting varmints with a centerfire.
I'm not a fan of high magnification scopes on a 22 that will be used for hunting. At 16x, the limited field of view will make it harder to locate a close range gopher. For hunting, my personal preference is to use a smaller scope with a wide field of view. My personal taste is to have the scope compliment the size of a typical rimfire sporter.

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that they can adjust the parallax too +/-...can anyone here confirm?
I know a guy who has a vx-2 with 50yd (I think) parallax adjustment. Korth will do the adjustment on a Leupold.
A scope repair shop should also be able to do it. It was a couple of years ago that I talked to a guy in Calgary that said he could do it. I don't know if he's still in business.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Check out Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR. Parallax adjustment which will help, under $200 US and very nice glass. I have been using this scope on a 10/22 and Air rifle for years with zero complaints or issues. Even when I"m doing shooting event's for Nikon this is a scope guy's always love to use and often times have no clue it is out there.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I am also starting to get fussier about the quality of my rimfire scopes. I've got a few that I like, but my favourite hunting scope is the Weaver rv9. It's a 3-9x32 with AO. It looks 'right-sized' on my 452 and I find that the glass is more than adequate for daytime use. I don't find the AO to be an inconvenience. I set it at 50yds and only adjust it for very close or very far shots. The ability to focus the scope with the AO is nice, especially on the close targets.
The rv9 has a duplex reticle. This allows me to sight the main cross hairs at 50yds and if I adjust the magnification of the scope, the top of the thick section can be dead on at 100yds. On my set up, this happens with the maginification set at about 7x.

IMO, a scope like your Weaver is an excellent scope for 22LR target shooting and for shooting varmints with a centerfire.
I'm not a fan of high magnification scopes on a 22 that will be used for hunting. At 16x, the limited field of view will make it harder to locate a close range gopher. For hunting, my personal preference is to use a smaller scope with a wide field of view. My personal taste is to have the scope compliment the size of a typical rimfire sporter.

I know a guy who has a vx-2 with 50yd (I think) parallax adjustment. Korth will do the adjustment on a Leupold.
A scope repair shop should also be able to do it. It was a couple of years ago that I talked to a guy in Calgary that said he could do it. I don't know if he's still in business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Check out Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR. Parallax adjustment which will help, under $200 US and very nice glass. I have been using this scope on a 10/22 and Air rifle for years with zero complaints or issues. Even when I"m doing shooting event's for Nikon this is a scope guy's always love to use and often times have no clue it is out there.

Thanks guys~I'll check those two out. bman~how would you say that PROSTATE stacks-up against the Nikon P22? I know the P22 doesn't have A/O or side focus...which might make it a very poor choice. Decent glass though.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 AM

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...c_Rimfire.html

These are awesome rimfire scopes for hunting/pest control. Not many around in Canada it appears, so not sure how to get one up here. They used to be more common here. I hate to say it, but I might even prefer it to my Leupold. Also reticle is a little heavier then the Leupy, so fits your preference as well.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys~I'll check those two out. bman~how would you say that **PROSTAFF** stacks-up against the Nikon P22? I know the P22 doesn't have A/O or side focus...which might make it a very poor choice. Decent glass though.
^corrected. Darn auto-spell-check.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:02 PM

I've had a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x on my 10/22 since I got it. It usually sits at 3x, great for all the little guys out to 50+, after that I can adjust if needed. Out to 100 yards it works fine. After that I rend to reach for the 17 HMR anyway. The 3200 is a great scope for the rimfire.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-06-2017, 03:35 PM

I got a Vortex crossfire ii 4x12 on my 17hmr cz455

Its the only vortex scope i owned that held zero (I owned a viper,diamondback)

Iv been hearing good things about the nikon prostaff except sometimes the o-ring falls out which can be fixed through warrenty.

If i were to get another rimfire scope id look into redfeild or bushnell. They have high quality scopes for a more affordable price then leupold
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Nikon makes a number of very good Rimfire scopes that will serve your needs. I also like the 2-7 power but find that for my older eye's 3-9 goes further for me and 4-12 is even nicer when I use consistant ammo. Bulk 22LR ammo seems to fluctuate more in accuracy then centerfire ammo so using good ammo does make a difference.

Or., I haven't heard anything about o-ring failures with Nikon scopes and if it was an issue believe me, I would have heard about it. I do not work directly for Nikon but I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for them. As always, feel free to drop me a note with any question's, if I don't know the answer I probably know someone who does.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM

We have been using these on all of our .22's for a number of years, and highly recommend them as great value for the cost:

http://www.amazon.ca/Tasco-Target-Va.../dp/B000GEY6L4

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 AM

My personal favourite for a gopher patch is a VX2 4-12x40 AO fine duplex. I've outfitted one .22 Hornet and two .22WMR with them. My other Hornet wears a VX3 2.5-8x36. I just love em. I purchased an Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 that I had intentions of throwing on a Hornet as it is a very versatile magnification range but that will prob go on a .223.

I know you're not looking for an AO/SF so apologies if I wasted anyone's time.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:49 AM

Default Darn it - wrong link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDemeter View Post
We have been using these on all of our .22's for a number of years, and highly recommend them as great value for the cost:

http://www.amazon.ca/Tasco-Target-Va.../dp/B000GEY6L4
It would help if I linked to the right scope: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...d_i=2439694011

We use the 2.5 - 10

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys~greatly appreciated!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:21 PM

i use a fixed 4.
enough magnification for longer range, and not so much to ruin the close up oppertunities

actually, i use a fixed 4 on all my big game hunting rifles as well.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I purchased an Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 that I had intentions of throwing on a Hornet as it is a very versatile magnification range but that will prob go on a .223.
I have one of these on my M70 Featherweight in .22-250. A very nice package for any .22 calibre centerfire in my opinion. Really like mine.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Digging in the safe to see what I could put on a new heavy barrel 22 one time and found a Leopold 4x12 with AO not being used.
I figured I test the gun with it and put something more reasonable on it later.
Wound up leaving on there, 12 power on a gophers head is just right.
I have a 2x7on lighter guns.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM

leupold Compacts are the right size for most sporter rimfires, I think they make a 3 -9 with A.O.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 AM

For off hand shooting I used the 3-9x40 rimfire scopes for most of this summer. They are really good for quick target acquisition. So is a 4x or 6x fixed power scope on the Marlin 795, and any other 22LR.

For the occasional bench shooting I used 6-24x50 scope on Savage 17 HMR rifle.

Many gophers bit the dirt because of those rifle and scope combinations.

It was a good summer shooting gophers.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:53 PM

I use a Leupold 2-7x33 rimfire on my 1022 but I leave it set at about 5x most of the time.(helps for kentucky windage). On 17hmr I use a NF 3-12x42. I prefer a finer crosshair for gophers.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 PM

I like premium glass for small targets so I put a Zeiss Victory FL 4-16x on my gopher gun. It's really nice to dial up using the exposed elevation turret when shooting longer distances. I have all my come-ups posted inside the lens cover, sniper style, and it takes the guesswork out of the really long shots. Combined with a rangefinder, this is a remarkably deadly combo that wastes little ammo.