Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default Gun Ban

I'd like someone to clarify this for me. I thought that shotgun with 20 mm bore were exempt from the ban. Now I get a letter from the rcmp stating that anything over 20 mm is prohibited. I don't get it. And another thing how do they know I have firearms, my wife has a firearms license and no firearms and didn't get a letter. U hope gun dealers haven't been submitting who owns firearms.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Banned

Shotguns (other than some AR styles) are not banned.
The RCMP have clarified that the measurement does not include the choke area.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...ms-and-devices
Old 06-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Shotguns (other than some AR styles) are not banned.
The RCMP have clarified that the measurement does not include the choke area.
I got a letter today stating that they are. I don't know of any other firearm with a bore bigger than 20 mm.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
I'd like someone to clarify this for me. I thought that shotgun with 20 mm bore were exempt from the ban. Now I get a letter from the rcmp stating that anything over 20 mm is prohibited. I don't get it. And another thing how do they know I have firearms, my wife has a firearms license and no firearms and didn't get a letter. U hope gun dealers haven't been submitting who owns firearms.
I spoke with a couple gun store owners, and they told me that they would absolutely never give out the names and other info of folks they did business with, and that they would have to pry it out of their cold dead hands, reason being, that if it got out that they were sharing that info, they would loose a significant amount of business!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I got a letter today stating that they are. I don't know of any other firearm with a bore bigger than 20 mm.
Your shot gun has a bore greater than 20mm? Better go measure.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Your shot gun has a bore greater than 20mm? Better go measure.
Take the choke out of your 12 ga and measure. And see if it's less than 20 mm.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Read the regs. It clearly states 12 gauge and 10 gauge shotguns are not affected. The measurement is based on the bore diameter between chamber and choke- NOT the choke.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
A 12 gauge should not be 20mm, but 18.5mm. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(firearms)
Is it that you have one of the banned AR style shotguns.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
Read the regs. It clearly states 12 gauge and 10 gauge shotguns are not affected. The measurement is based on the bore diameter between chamber and choke- NOT the choke.
The "Regs" don't state how the measurement is to be taken. What Blair and the RCMP posted are not the regs, at this point the OIC is the only reg.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:39 PM

Some pumps have been banned. This list changes daily as the rcmp quietly reclassifies rifles and shotguns making them prohibited. Have a look below it’s a link to the frt with the affected by ban and shotgun filters on.

https://www.armalytics.ca/?size=n_50...%5Btype%5D=any
Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 PM

The wording lets them charge you if they are in the mood then you will need to argue your case in court at great expense.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
The wording lets them charge you if they are in the mood then you will need to argue your case in court at great expense.
I’ve been saying this from the beginning. Get stopped and your PAL is current and you have proper tags...you’ll be on your way no problem.
But if things aren’t in order or you give them attitude and you have a firearms charge against you.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Take the choke out of your 12 ga and measure. And see if it's less than 20 mm.
Pretty sure you're chamber is over 20 mm too.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Overbored barrels >20mm are banned.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 PM

Important notice: Update on 10 and 12 gauge shotgun classification under the new prohibition

On May 1st, 2020, the Government of Canada announced that it had made amendments to the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted (SOR/98-462) [Classification Regulations] prescribing certain firearms as prohibited. One of the categories of the newly prohibited firearms include "Any firearm with a bore diameter of 20 mm or greater" (s. 95 of the Classification Regulations).
The Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) of the RCMP adheres to the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners' (AFTE) definition for bore diameter measurements. "The interior dimensions of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." (Glossary of the Association of Firearm & Tool Mark Examiners by the AFTE Standardization Committee, 1st Ed. 1980). This is reflected in the
Off of website:

RCMP's Firearms Reference Table (FRT) which clearly states that "...in shotguns, diameter of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." The CFP also recognizes the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) standards regarding firearms and ammunition. The SAAMI chamber specifications for 10ga and 12ga shotguns do not include chokes therefore indicating that chokes are not part of the bore. Accordingly, it is the CFP's view that, in accordance with acceptable firearms industry standards for shotguns, the bore diameter measurement is considered to be at a point after the chamber, but before the choke.
Further, in making classification assessments of firearms which are reflected in the FRT, the CFP relies on recognized industry standard measurements. With respect to 10ga and 12ga shotguns, the CFP recognizes the SAAMI standard specifications which establish that the nominal (i.e. standard) bore diameter measurements for 10ga and 12ga shotguns are below the 20mm threshold (19.69mm for 10ga, 18.42mm for 12ga).
Old 06-02-2020, 11:16 PM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...of-provincial/

Alberta Firearms Officer
Old 06-03-2020, 08:47 AM

Lots of banter about this topic all over the internet. One thing to keep in mind, the only LAW that is in place right now is the initial OIC. The feedback from Bill Blair that shotguns aren't impacted, and the RCMP's "position statement"...those aren't "LAW". While interesting, they do not mean that the inititial OIC about the 20mm rule has been changed at all, and like some others state, it would be up to the courts to make the final ruling.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 AM

As a non shotgunner, why in the wide world of sports would someone remove a choke, measure that ID and call that the bore diameter?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Pretty sure you're chamber is over 20 mm too.
Why is this part of the bore?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 AM

If everyone that has been posting about this ridiculous “shotgun ban” was to go join a club and shoot we would be much better off. Take a friend to the club and introduce them to the sport. Tell non-shooters how much fun clay shooting is an see if you can get them interested in trying it. Spend some money on shells, vests, shooting glasses, etc. Make plans to go wing-shooting this fall. Buy a migratory, upland and pheasant license when they become available. Go buy some new hunting gear and get your hunting buddies doing the same.

The infighting and the negativity among the shooting community is playing right into the anti’s hands. Every shooter that you convince to stay home with his shotgun is another nail in the coffin. If that error filled mess OIC does this to us, just think what happens when they get serious.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Gun bans

There has been over 1000 new entries of prohibited firearms in the RCMP FRT since the OIC was released. It now includes shotguns that look like a AR15, 4 gauge shotguns as well as firearms chambered for 460 Weatherby.
This is not about public safety, its is an ongoing process to remove firearms
from private ownership. (remember Allan Rock, the only poepole who should have firearms are the police a& military).
Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
As a non shotgunner, why in the wide world of sports would someone remove a choke, measure that ID and call that the bore diameter?
I've also been puzzled by this since this whole thing started.

The minor diameter of the choke thread and the locating fits are not part of the bore. Not hard to understand.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
I've also been puzzled by this since this whole thing started.

The minor diameter of the choke thread and the locating fits are not part of the bore. Not hard to understand.
Exactly. Why are we doing our best to be as dumb as those drafting these laws?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-03-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Why are we doing our best to be as dumb as those drafting these laws?
Good question.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Good question.
It’s not a great look.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-03-2020, 12:45 PM

I called the Canadian firearms branch and they said that shotguns are not banned. Even gave them the model and make of my 3 semiautos and was told they are fine. So I am not worrying about it until I have to. I will be duck hunting with them this fall.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:48 PM

Default My Impression of a FUD

I dont care I dont own any shotguns. What do you need a shotgun with over a 20mm bore for anyway. Those are just designed to saw off so you can kill people.

I hope the sarcasm font is working
Old 06-03-2020, 12:53 PM

My favorite shotgun is banned

Old 06-03-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
The infighting and the negativity among the shooting community is playing right into the anti’s hands. Every shooter that you convince to stay home with his shotgun is another nail in the coffin. If that error filled mess OIC does this to us, just think what happens when they get serious.
Several of the “shotgun only” guys that I’ve talked with say they are getting tired of attempts to scare them onside.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It’s not a great look.
Nope, and I am getting real tired of it.