Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Stallion Table Saws

In the market for a new hobbyist saw, that will be cutting a lot of hardwood.
When you really look around, there are not that many options out there in Alberta, this must not be a very popular niche.

My budget is under $2k

I am not a King fan, and nervous about a Craftex table saw. I had pretty much made up my mind on the Langosta Fusion, which does not have a very powerful motor and I have 240 power in my shop.

I see Canadian Woodworker has Stalllions on sale and I have no experience with them at all. The ad looks good and I like the idea of a 3 AMP saw for under $2k.

Does anyone know anything about them. I don't see any reviews that aren't retailer based somehow.

FYI: Sawstop makes a great saw, but I don't have $3500.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 AM

How firm are you on new?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 AM

My insurance comp is paying, so I am likely pretty firm.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:26 AM

https://www.kmstools.com/general-int...able-saw-95022

Just make sure the table is flat.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have thought about the General. The local high school wood shop is completely General products and the shop teacher tells me he finds General very hit and miss. Some are bulletproof and some are complete lemons.

BUt I agree, I would go General over a complete shot in the dark with the Stallion.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:01 PM
AO Sponsor

As a hobbiest I wouldn't spend 2k on the saws that are available new today. I would either step up on a sawstop or a powermatic, or spend much less wisely on a good used saw. I picked up a beauty of a Delta cabinet saw in fantastic condition for $500. As a hobbiest it does more than I ever will need. If money was no object then I would buy one of my initial two preferences. 2k saws these days just won't really get you anything $500 won't get you on the used market. You have to bump up another 1k to 2k over your budget to get something worth paying for at that level... All of this is just IMHO of course...
Old 03-13-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
As a hobbiest I wouldn't spend 2k on the saws that are available new today. I would either step up on a sawstop or a powermatic, or spend much less wisely on a good used saw. I picked up a beauty of a Delta cabinet saw in fantastic condition for $500. As a hobbiest it does more than I ever will need. If money was no object then I would buy one of my initial two preferences. 2k saws these days just won't really get you anything $500 won't get you on the used market. You have to bump up another 1k to 2k over your budget to get something worth paying for at that level... All of this is just IMHO of course...
Pretty much what I was going to contribute. Tirebob lays it out pretty well.