Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Cayo Coco fishing

Hi, anybody fished out of Cayo Coco lately? Is there any guide companies operating still out of the melia?
Old 01-27-2018, 02:14 PM

I was there last month. There is a flat to the east of the resorts that has a few bones on it but the numbers are down due to netting by locals. I also fished with an guide by the name of Yorge Luna. He will pick you up right at your resort, his rates are reasonable (no markup from the government set rates of 56CUC per person plus 80CUC flat rate for transportation), and his calm demeanour is pleasant and helpful for targeting bonefish. Feel free to send me a PM if you want his contact info.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

If he is still there I believe he is the best around.
https://www.facebook.com/duniesky.urbano
Old 01-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If he is still there I believe he is the best around.
https://www.facebook.com/duniesky.urbano
Have you fished with him? Even though he's known for his knowledge I've heard mixed things about him.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Have you fished with him? Even though he's known for his knowledge I've heard mixed things about him.
I have not fished with him (he was booked) but when we were there a few years ago those that did, did very well. Never heard anything negative at that time
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 AM

I wouldn't go with Duniesky. He makes sure he has his tip before he makes sure you have a fish.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hmmm I just walked up and the the entire shoreline watching the surface while trying different lures, approaches etc and nailed easily 50 plus fish a day.
I bagged my gear on my back and snorkeled out to the reef which is about 1km out, once in the reef the water drops deep and if you catch a reef fish(silver/black XRap) take off the lure put on a large hook, run it lengthwise along the spine, cast the wounded fish out and hang on, I am no fish species experts but there are some large aggressive fish down there.
I look at cayo coco as an fishing/snorkling adventure that requires no guide...go to the buffet and ask for the chef/cook for frozen shrimp too, slip him a few bucks then every morning they will have your frozen bait ready to go, bait catches fish then the fish catch bigger fish...oh yeah and the cuda' solve the outside of the reef.
Now for fly fishing the fellas I seen in the early mornings were working the shorelines too with long black silver flies, right on the surface, bonefish are there just gotta watch the surface cause they hunts in schools...I targeted them with a small silver/blue spoon that was so light it was on or near the surface upon retrieval, cast well past them as they are spooky.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 PM

I'm headed to the iberostar mojito late march, hopefully i can hook up with something from shore. google earth shows some rocky spots along the beach that look promising.

i may try and find some other guys to split a charter for a morning or see if the catamaran guys will take me out.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoph View Post
I wouldn't go with Duniesky. He makes sure he has his tip before he makes sure you have a fish.
Yeah and he'll book multiple guests to fish with and show up for the one who he thinks will tip highest (so I've heard from multiple sources).

I've also heard he does nothing but bark at people all day about their technique. He told Gary Anderson (a famous Atlantic Salmon fly fisher) that he casted like his grandma.

Also, watch out for a guide named Claude, knowledgeable guide but terrible to be around.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Yeah and he'll book multiple guests to fish with and show up for the one who he thinks will tip highest (so I've heard from multiple sources).

I've also heard he does nothing but bark at people all day about their technique. He told Gary Anderson (a famous Atlantic Salmon fly fisher) that he casted like his grandma.

Also, watch out for a guide named Claude, knowledgeable guide but terrible to be around.
Thanks for the heads up, we did talk with Duniesky one morning for a bit and he seemed very passionate about fly fishing. Sounds like the passion for fish may have been replaced by the passion for the "tip"......to bad.