Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Really tough rainbow

On the boundry of Jasper and Banff parks there is a high very high lake, next to a glacier matter of fact, and of course its called Boundary lake.
I took my fly rod up for a try, and yes there was survivors from the stocking days, but not like anything i saw before, when i cast a small fly a trout in slow motion came to the fly, I took it a shore, the eyes enlarged, and all head, the rock flour and extreme cold temperatures should have made survival impossible I caught more than one, it was years since this pond was stocked, they must have spawned. Tough little buggers.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
On the boundry of Jasper and Banff parks there is a high very high lake, next to a glacier matter of fact, and of course its called Boundary lake.
I took my fly rod up for a try, and yes there was survivors from the stocking days, but not like anything i saw before, when i cast a small fly a trout in slow motion came to the fly, I took it a shore, the eyes enlarged, and all head, the rock flour and extreme cold temperatures should have made survival impossible I caught more than one, it was years since this pond was stocked, they must have spawned. Tough little buggers.
In the early 80s there were cutties in that lake. The last time I was there in the mid 90s, I only caught stunted brookies. I assume that they may have made their way all the way up from Ripple Lake, and out-competed the cutties. What kind of fish did you find?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM

Default boundry

It did not occur to me that a trout would make it up the river, but you are probably right.
What species i caught, was not determined, they were badly deformed and stunted, the fact that they survived in such an extreme enviroment is amazeing, they of course didnt survive alone, giveing a clue to the insect community that also survives under the surface.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM

I am some what concerned that you cannot properly identify common fresh water species... Stunted or not, Brook trout vs Cutthroat should be fairly easy!!

-Confucius
Old 02-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Default Mountain lake

In the early years cutties were in this small lake, a small stream finds its way to ripple which has brookies by the hundred, seems some made there way to the lake in late years.