Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Bsison bolts from Banf

Articles like this are why I always pick up Banff and Canmore papers, you get to read stories that don't make the outside media. Park guys have been telling us this wasn't going to happen. They removed the fence a couple of weeks ago. Think it took 30 million of our bucks to make it happen. I feel a buffalo hunt coming up in the near future.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/bi...banff-20180809

Grizz
Old 08-13-2018, 05:30 PM

As expected. But I’d bet you will only be hunting bison if you have a certain card
Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM

Reminds me of the large hole in the fence north end of Elk Island Park that "allowed" elk to somehow wander out into surrounding farmland. Even after the park personnel were appraised of the "broken" fence they did nothing about it. If public doesn't complain then I'm sure the park biologists would be more than happy to have this wildlife roam all over Alberta.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Articles like this are why I always pick up Banff and Canmore papers, you get to read stories that don't make the outside media. Park guys have been telling us this wasn't going to happen. They removed the fence a couple of weeks ago. Think it took 30 million of our bucks to make it happen. I feel a buffalo hunt coming up in the near future.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/bi...banff-20180809

Grizz
Haha !!!! Didn`t see that coming.. NOT !!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

Predictable but not necessarily bad news. Need to fix the legal rule that means they aren't listed as wildlife on provincial lands, and start planning for a legal Bison season in 2020 outside the park
Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Default bison

Plains Bison did major migrations north and south from Canada to US for thousands of years, what did the Bio's think would happen with no fence. Probably be visiting the Trumper soon.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 AM

Could legally shoot that bull on crown land outside the park could you not?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post

I believe so, since they are not considered wildlife. Hence the vague description of its whereabouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Plains Bison did major migrations north and south from Canada to US for thousands of years, what did the Bio's think would happen with no fence. Probably be visiting the Trumper soon.
I think they knew they were going to leave and essentially stated as such several weeks ago. An animal did what everybody suspected it would do. I think it would be more newsworthy if they all stuck around personally.

I'm not really sure why this is news....
Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Many years ago in the pass a fellow was raising buffalo and they got out. Later I heard the bison had put some hikers up a tree. So now someone can invent bison spray much like bear spray to keep the critters at bay.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:57 AM

A bison killed a man walking down a road on a grazing lease near Pincher Creek in 2009. I'm not sure why anyone thinks the reintroduction of bison into a area full of tourists and hikers is a good idea.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Can we have a few for the Castle? May keep the snowflakes in check.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 PM

👍lol
Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
There are two out of the park now but people would have to hurry as there will probably only be two weeks left to do that:

Quote:
Environment Minister Shannon Phillips has said she will protect the Banff herd with a special ministerial order, but it’s not yet in place.

“The process of drafting this order is underway, but was recently delayed by a fire in an Environment and Parks office building that displaced some staff working on this order,” she said in a statement. “We expect to sign this order before the end of the month.”
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...being-released
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM

One of the smart ones that doesn't want to get eaten by a wolf or bear.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:46 PM

The Calgary report says it was bulls that are wandering. Maybe the wandering bulls are just acting instinctive in migrating back to Elk island park where they came from. Sort of like spawning salmon go back to where they hatched.

It's interesting the herd size has more than doubled since their recent introduction. I find this interesting because it hasn't been mentioned how many buffalo will be considered for the land carrying capacity of the park. Logic suggests that eventually the herd size will have to be culled or allowed to free range and expand outside the park. In 20 years maybe the Suffield elk hunt will be replaced by the Suffield buffalo hunt.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2018, 02:10 AM

Here is the Bison Blog put out by parks Canada. updated fairly regularly.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...son/blog#aug11
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here is the Bison Blog put out by parks Canada. updated fairly regularly.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...son/blog#aug11
Thanks for the link, Red Bullets! Just read through that - I'm stunned at the amount of effort that has been put into this initiative.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 AM

Maybe this is the real reason they closed the camp ground.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Grizz
Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 AM

I believe these are bulls that have not been allowed to share in the fun big Bulls have so they are going in search of a herd of cows
Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I believe these are bulls that have not been allowed to share in the fun big Bulls have so they are going in search of a herd of cows
X2. The smaller bulls are tired off getting a horns in their ribs every time they smell a cow's rear end. They might move back with the herd this fall. If not, they'll likely keep heading east.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The Calgary report says it was bulls that are wandering. Maybe the wandering bulls are just acting instinctive in migrating back to Elk island park where they came from. Sort of like spawning salmon go back to where they hatched.
No, this is just Buffalo bulls being Buffalo bulls. They will go for a walkabout when the girls are not interesting to them.

Anyone involved with this program that states this was unexpected is either delusional or a liar. Which brings us back to Parks position that this would not happen....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM

so with all the black angus roaming around what is the possibility of getting some beefalo
Old 08-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Wait for the uproar if that bull gets harvested outside of the park before the minister protects it on it's walk about. The snowflake greenies will want the gov to round him up and bring him back.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Wait for the uproar if that bull gets harvested outside of the park before the minister protects it on it's walk about. The snowflake greenies will want the gov to round him up and bring him back.
I was wondering how they'd deal with some person getting attacked by one of these animals, not exactly ***** cats and the camp ground is usually packed with campers, horses and dogs. Recipe for disaster.

Grizz
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I was wondering how they'd deal with some person getting attacked by one of these animals, not exactly ***** cats and the camp ground is usually packed with campers, horses and dogs. Recipe for disaster.

Grizz
There's been a thousand bison in Elk Island forever which has much higher densities of tourist use including campgrounds, cross country skiers and trails. Sure there is the very occasional injury but the idea that bison are too scary to share the bush with is just silly.

Plenty of pros and cons on this reintroduction (personally I support it, with an outside the park hunt) but public safety is not one of them.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM

Just listened to the CBC interviewing the Parks Canada guy...he sounded like Trudeau....um, er, um....
Old 08-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Shooting one would bring nothing but bad publicity to hunting...we have an uphill battle as it is, we don’t need more bad news.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou75 View Post
There's been a thousand bison in Elk Island forever which has much higher densities of tourist use including campgrounds, cross country skiers and trails. Sure there is the very occasional injury but the idea that bison are too scary to share the bush with is just silly.

Plenty of pros and cons on this reintroduction (personally I support it, with an outside the park hunt) but public safety is not one of them.
Most of the main public areas, campground included, have been fenced for years to keep the buffalo out. The masses stay inside the fence from what I see, the hikers and bikers go out and mingle where the buffalo roam in Elk Island.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou75 View Post
Sure there is the very occasional injury but the idea that bison are too scary to share the bush with is just silly.
I also don't think that bison are aggressive, but then there are people like this guy or that lady that got charged on the road by a bear in Jasper. Pretty sure that's another reason why they don't publish the location of the bulls to prevent people making selfies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqqgeZzSBPY