Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 PM

Default Reloadersnest and online load data

I used to go to reloadersnest frequently. Where are people getting a good source of load data other than the online bullet manufacturer info like nosler or power maker like hodgdon?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Guess it depends on what you want to put together in a given cartridge. Sometimes you have to do a search with that particular cartridge and see if what you want to use pops up somewhere. It is amazing how much info there is out there, and what is available from people like Hodgdon and Western Powders that they haven't published, but, will give you if they have it. Sometimes though, they just haven't tested it at the commercial level. Only other option becomes a program like Quickload, but, is it worth buying for what you want to accomplish, and will you use it for anything else in the future?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:01 PM

I use the published nosler manual as a base line I then look on the hodgdon site to cross reference I also sometimes email either the powder manufacturer or the bullet manufacturer if I'm looking for something more specific. I find the manufactures are generally quite speedy with responses. If you're doing any sort of wildcatting no-one wants to Give much data other than use the parent case loads (25-06 to 26-06AI or what have you) as a baseline and work up. Reloaders nest was great for window shopping for load ideas but some of those loads where grossly over speed hyped in my experiences. If I had a pc and not a Mac I would get quick load I hear it has great data and people that have it tell me it can save a lot of time and experimentation with load development.

Last edited by Dubious; 08-08-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 PM

There's a lot of load info on the specific calibre pages on 6mmbr. Also their forum, shooter's forum, has some recipe threads. I found the info on the 6.5x47 Lapua very helpful, because of the proprietary nature of the round. Although it has become a bit more mainstream.

I find reloader's nest to be dated and not much variety. Specialty stuff, like my BMG, called for a specific club (Fifty Calibre Shooters forum). Also asking here and GOC and CGN will get you some info too.

To the OP, what are you looking for specifically?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I’ll try emailing companies.
I’m specifically loading for 7x57 and 257 Roberts right now.
I find the load data for h414 in the 257 varies quite a bit even when claiming to be p+ data. I think I’ve come across max loads of 43gr to 48gr and then some guys stating they have used up 49gr for 120gr bullets.
I’ve so far loaded up to 42 gr and it seems I have plenty of room to increase based on being able to load the bullets way out, the data I’ve come across, and the velocity I measured today.
More than ever before I’m looking for accuracy over velocity but in the past I’ve found getting the velocity up in most cases (literally the brass) will get the pressure to the sweet spot

Last edited by kujoseto; 08-12-2018 at 01:10 AM.