Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Shooting in Yoho?

Anyone have info or a story. My folks were 20 minutes behind this.

Colin
Old 08-02-2018, 06:18 PM

This was just on the news, German tourist shot in the head in possible road rage outside Morley:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4368034/v...orley-alberta/
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM

No shortage of nutbags out there it seems..
Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 PM

My father made it sound like the closure was just in front of them.

Manhunt is on I guess
Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 PM

Shooting happened on 1a by Morley. A traffic fatality also occurred just west of field.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 AM

Sorry, I'm not sold on the road rage theory, a lot of bad stuff has gone down around there, over the last few years.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Sorry, I'm not sold on the road rage theory, a lot of bad stuff has gone down around there, over the last few years.

Grizz
Wonder if it was just coincidence that someone was passing by. Pretty hard to imagine someone trying to shoot from a car to a truck (angle of trajectory) from the car's driver's side.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 AM

My thought are stray bullet from some young people shooting 22 as most probable explanation, however we will see what final RCMP investigation finds.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Wonder if it was just coincidence that someone was passing by. Pretty hard to imagine someone trying to shoot from a car to a truck (angle of trajectory) from the car's driver's side.
That road is so narrow, with very little shoulders and they're sharp. It would be quite a trick.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM

More mollycoddling of a segment of our society.

If you never stomp on the criminals...
If you never enforce the law equally...
If you act like your hands are tied...
If you apply the rules based on political correctness.....
If you back off as soon as the brats start having a tantrum..
If you give light little slaps on the wrist as punishment....
If you give vacation retreats to heal as punishment.......
If you give them or accept any historical issue as a "poor you" excuse....

Your going to create a group of people acting as if the law has no teeth and think they are above punishment.

BUT our stupid leaders will turn this against law-abiding hand gun owners!!!
Rather than deal with the spoiled brats.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

Your going to create a group of people acting as if the law has no teeth and think they are above punishment.

I assume you mean this “group of people”.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cri...sons-1.4291568
Old 08-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

This ^^^.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Arrest made...

Arrest made. Leaning towards a case of mistaken identity..
Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

Looks like that person has been released now.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

Two issues to complicate this matter, happened in a Native reserve and involved a tourist. Both are sensitive issues, see the tourist interests are already out calming the waters.

Grizz
Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
That road is so narrow, with very little shoulders and they're sharp. It would be quite a trick.

Grizz
You guys must be bad shots. Can't hit a car window sized object from 15 feet or less?
Another road eager showing what happens when pistols are carried freely. Every now and then an idiot goes stupid. Lots of threads to prove it happens often. Illegal gun or not
Old 08-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
You guys must be bad shots. Can't hit a car window sized object from 15 feet or less?
Another road eager showing what happens when pistols are carried freely. Every now and then an idiot goes stupid. Lots of threads to prove it happens often. Illegal gun or not
Summed up: Some people can't handle responsibility, so I want that thing banned/unavailable for everyone

BTW, its now deemed a case of mistaken identity rather than road rage. I can't imagine why the suspect has been released, perhaps they're waiting to collect more evidence or for the cretin to further incriminate himself while under surveillance.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

BTW, its now deemed a case of mistaken identity rather than road rage. I can't imagine why the suspect has been released, perhaps they're waiting to collect more evidence or for the cretin to further incriminate himself while under surveillance.
Do you not realize that saying it was mistaken identity is a kind of stupid remark. Did he think was another senior citizen, who should have been shot instead? Makes no more sense than the sun was in the truckers eyes.

And as too the handgun issue, its not an isolated incident in Canada anymore is it? Add in the US rates of people lacking restraint with their firearms, you should be able to see the other sides position a little better than most.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Do you not realize that saying it was mistaken identity is a kind of stupid remark. Did he think was another senior citizen, who should have been shot instead? Makes no more sense than the sun was in the truckers eyes.

And as too the handgun issue, its not an isolated incident in Canada anymore is it? Add in the US rates of people lacking restraint with their firearms, you should be able to see the other sides position a little better than most.
The "other side" has a argument that isn't logical and doesn't stand up to facts.

Anyone calling for a ban on the legal ownership of handguns in response to their use by criminals is a fool. They want to make something doubly illegal in the belief that that will somehow stop the criminals from acquiring and using them.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:33 PM

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I prefer to side with facts and the unfortunate reality of human natures darker side. If bans work so well, please explain to me the 40 shootings in 'gun controlled' Chicago on Sunday Aug 5th, all before noon. The reason these criminals are so bold is that they fear no retribution due to the fact that the law abiding public are all unarmed. Of course there is also the density of their ghettoes: for lots of crime, one needs lots of criminals.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...804-story.html

The reality is that bad people will always be bad, regardless of what laws or societal norms dictate. Assaulting and killing people is already unlawful and socially unacceptable to the vast majority of humanity, people taking away other peoples inherent right to self-defence in order to appease their own personal squeamishness about being armed is frankly idiotic. If a person doesn't want to carry a pistol or a pocket knife that's fine, they can be free to do so. I do have a problem with people wanting to impose their beliefs on others right to self defence though.

If you really want to do something about violence in Canada, pressure your government representatives to do something about the justice system. We'll never be safe under the current catch & release program while the repeat offenders are getting bolder and more violent due to being under the influence of opioids. Wonder why we read about more and more shootings by the police, this is it. My numerous police friends echo this, they have to deal with these degenerates on a daily basis. The retention rates of police and EMS are suffering due to having to constantly deal with these junkies and the police get further frustrated by the bureaucracy and the idiocy of the courts constantly tossing these cretins back out among us. How would you feel? What do you think the long term fallout of such frustrations will be as it applies to police staffing and quality? I propose an elected judiciary where they actually have some type of an oversight placed upon them by the public rather than their own inner circle of cronies.

Considering you brought it up, as far as stupid remarks go, do you not realize that the police determined that the shooter wanted to target someone else, perhaps a fellow bad guy who happens to drive the same/similar vehicle as the victims rental, or perhaps the victim resembled the intended target? The local RC's probably have a good idea of who the intended target was based on the tourist's vehicle make, model & color. Either way the shooters actions are highly illegal and made worse by the fact that he shot an innocent rather than a fellow criminal. Thankfully the guy only had a little pop gun .22lr or this would have been much worse (my assumption based on the bullets limited penetration and a news report noting police referring to a 'small calibre').

I don't know how the victim is doing other than that he's survived, but I am concerned for their long term well being. I was happy to hear that the German Consul took the step to open a GoFundMe for the benefit of the victim. Depending on the severity of his injuries this could be absolutely life changing, especially if he's the sole family breadwinner.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4372506/g...-shot-alberta/
Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I prefer to side with facts and the unfortunate reality of human natures darker side. If bans work so well, please explain to me the 40 shootings in 'gun controlled' Chicago on Sunday Aug 5th, all before noon. The reason these criminals are so bold is that they fear no retribution due to the fact that the law abiding public are all unarmed. Of course there is also the density of their ghettoes: for lots of crime, one needs lots of criminals.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...804-story.html

The reality is that bad people will always be bad, regardless of what laws or societal norms dictate. Assaulting and killing people is already unlawful and socially unacceptable to the vast majority of humanity, people taking away other peoples inherent right to self-defence in order to appease their own personal squeamishness about being armed is frankly idiotic. If a person doesn't want to carry a pistol or a pocket knife that's fine, they can be free to do so. I do have a problem with people wanting to impose their beliefs on others right to self defence though.

If you really want to do something about violence in Canada, pressure your government representatives to do something about the justice system. We'll never be safe under the current catch & release program while the repeat offenders are getting bolder and more violent due to being under the influence of opioids. Wonder why we read about more and more shootings by the police, this is it. My numerous police friends echo this, they have to deal with these degenerates on a daily basis. The retention rates of police and EMS are suffering due to having to constantly deal with these junkies and the police get further frustrated by the bureaucracy and the idiocy of the courts constantly tossing these cretins back out among us. How would you feel? What do you think the long term fallout of such frustrations will be as it applies to police staffing and quality? I propose an elected judiciary where they actually have some type of an oversight placed upon them by the public rather than their own inner circle of cronies.

Considering you brought it up, as far as stupid remarks go, do you not realize that the police determined that the shooter wanted to target someone else, perhaps a fellow bad guy who happens to drive the same/similar vehicle as the victims rental, or perhaps the victim resembled the intended target? The local RC's probably have a good idea of who the intended target was based on the tourist's vehicle make, model & color. Either way the shooters actions are highly illegal and made worse by the fact that he shot an innocent rather than a fellow criminal. Thankfully the guy only had a little pop gun .22lr or this would have been much worse (my assumption based on the bullets limited penetration and a news report noting police referring to a 'small calibre').

I don't know how the victim is doing other than that he's survived, but I am concerned for their long term well being. I was happy to hear that the German Consul took the step to open a GoFundMe for the benefit of the victim. Depending on the severity of his injuries this could be absolutely life changing, especially if he's the sole family breadwinner.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4372506/g...-shot-alberta/
This response is excellent !! Thank you Caber !
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Agree Caber, excellent response, we do not want tourists thinking we are wild west in Canada. Our weak court system and over-payed lawyers are a big part of the problem.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Suspended User

I agree the feds have let the justice system get screwed up.
But I have personally seen just how stupid some cops are. The fact this scum was released kind of makes me feel like we got more idiots on the force.
From life experience, I can say there is more to it. The number of times the cops choose to go easy because the guys a rat or a relative....
No way this squid should have been released, how does this look to the rest of the world? To myself its an example of the cops freeing a creep who tried to kill multiple people. This German tourist wasn't alone in his vehicle.

And you feel it was OK to let him go because your buddies are frustrated with the system? We the victims of all this violent crime are fed up with this crap. No reason this dirtbag shouldn't be in jail.

Where in my post did I say I supported Chicago style gun control? All I said is I can see the others side. You decided that was what I said. Another example of mental issues popping up on this forum, sure see a crap load of paranoia and delusion show up on this site. Well written or not, don't try to put words in my mouth. It only tells me more about your mental state.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:22 AM

They arrested a guy. The guy was released. An officer was noted saying something to the effect about wanting to build a strong case, this requires strong evidence. Nobody wants the perp to skate because of weak evidence. The suspects release might well be an investigative tool where they are still under heavy surveillance, and are waiting to collect a confession/sufficient evidence be it from communicating with his buddies or an undercover officer. I would not write off the release as incompetence, as much as hearing of it frustrates a person. Dude probably has more cops reading his texts than AO members who will read this post.

Perhaps consider toning down the insulting rhetoric that you chose to start in the first place. Don't want to receive it, then don't frigging start off with it. Pretty simple.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
If bans work so well, please explain to me the 40 shootings in 'gun controlled' Chicago on Sunday Aug 5th, all before noon.

Democrats celebrating Obama's birthday.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Perhaps when MrDave noted "that was kind of a stupid remark" he may have been referring to the RCMP rather than me. That interpretation guided my following responses, its ambiguous what was intended but I'll allow for the benefit of the doubt and extend an olive branch. Perhaps MrDave might reciprocate with his utterly uncalled for insults concerning his interpretation of my mental state.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree the feds have let the justice system get screwed up.
But I have personally seen just how stupid some cops are. The fact this scum was released kind of makes me feel like we got more idiots on the force.
From life experience, I can say there is more to it. The number of times the cops choose to go easy because the guys a rat or a relative....
No way this squid should have been released, how does this look to the rest of the world? To myself its an example of the cops freeing a creep who tried to kill multiple people. This German tourist wasn't alone in his vehicle.

And you feel it was OK to let him go because your buddies are frustrated with the system? We the victims of all this violent crime are fed up with this crap. No reason this dirtbag shouldn't be in jail.

Where in my post did I say I supported Chicago style gun control? All I said is I can see the others side. You decided that was what I said. Another example of mental issues popping up on this forum, sure see a crap load of paranoia and delusion show up on this site. Well written or not, don't try to put words in my mouth. It only tells me more about your mental state.
Wow, you are funneee.
On the one hand you make assertions about the mental state of people on this forum and their paranoia and delusions...yet you make statements of LE (and their relatives that they let loose) that show if anyone here is paranoid and delusional it is yourself.
Give me one...ONE verified example of a cop cutting a criminal loose because he was a relative.
Just one!!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Nope. I am sorry. There is no excuse for releasing this guy. He shot at the driver of a vehicle that had other occupants while at highway speeds. He could of easily killed everyone in the van, caused it to collide with another vehicle and kill them as well. It is truly saddening that what happened, a tourist with a bullet in his head and only relatively minor injuries to others, is the best possible scenario.

The shooter clearly showed he has no regard for human life and is as dangerous as they come. He is now allowed to walk among us until a who knows when at which point he will be rewarded for his oncompetence; only attempted murder! Don't get me wrong, I am glad he was not successful in killing anyone just don't think he should be rewarded for only trying to kill the occupants in the van instead of succeeding; intent was the same. Can't be half pregnant
Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Nope. I am sorry. There is no excuse for releasing this guy. He shot at the driver of a vehicle that had other occupants while at highway speeds. He could of easily killed everyone in the van, caused it to collide with another vehicle and kill them as well. It is truly saddening that what happened, a tourist with a bullet in his head and only relatively minor injuries to others, is the best possible scenario.

The shooter clearly showed he has no regard for human life and is as dangerous as they come. He is now allowed to walk among us until a who knows when at which point he will be rewarded for his oncompetence; only attempted murder! Don't get me wrong, I am glad he was not successful in killing anyone just don't think he should be rewarded for only trying to kill the occupants in the van instead of succeeding; intent was the same. Can't be half pregnant
Case of mistaken identity, what more is there to say? The cops are back pedaling on the road rage theory, hopefully they solve this case. Time will tell

Grizz
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post

So you have inside information about the case that even the police don’t have?

If you have such concrete evidence that shows he should not have been released, then you should contact the RCMP. They are apparently conducting the case in a different manner and might benefit from you input.

Here is the number for the Cochrane detachment 403-851-8000