Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Default Uber Pricing

Is it just me or does it seem like the price for rides with Uber have caught up to taxi pricing, at least here in Edmonton.

Took an Uber ride on Aug 10th, mid afternoon. No rush pricing in place. Fee was $31.01. The last time I took a cab for the same trip it was $34. $1.50/klm plus 3.60 start meter. Considering Uber has much lower costs and are supposed to be a lot cheaper alternative this doesn't seem like the good deals when Uber first came to Edmonton. Anyone else notice this jump in pricing?

You rode with Joseph
20.59 kilometers

00:23:58 Trip time

UberX Car

Add a tip
Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 PM

i think the driver gets 80% of the fare . Personally I like Uber better then taxi because the driver has better attitude (because they are rated after the ride )and the cars are cleaner and nicer .
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 PM

Used Uber on Friday here in Toronto. Guy was super friendly, cost was $8 vs $30 for a taxi. Guy also spoke perfect English which never happens when I get a regular taxi. First time using Uber and would NEVER use a taxi again if possible
Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM

We used Uber/Lyft on our last 3 trips to Orlando. Furthest we went was 21km to Universal Studios and the fare was $15.00 USD. Super convenient if all you are doing is theme parks.

That Edmonton pricing seems pretty steep by comparison.

Edit: Actually the furthest we went was Airport to the Hotel in Uber 34km. It was $30USD from Airport to Hotel and $21USD from hotel to Airport. Taxis were more than double ($65USD and $45USD respectively).
Old 08-13-2018, 03:03 PM

Noticed same about Edmonton Uber.
Disappointed.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Used Uber on Friday here in Toronto. Guy was super friendly, cost was $8 vs $30 for a taxi. Guy also spoke perfect English which never happens when I get a regular taxi. First time using Uber and would NEVER use a taxi again if possible
Funny, my guy spoke almost no English. His Uber pass in the Window was a photocopy stuck to the glass with tape, no green light. Also, I have never had an Uber driver help with luggage, yet every cab I ever took has loaded and unloaded my bags. Not sure I am convinced of the Uber "Value Proposition" from what I am seeing.

Odd the Toronto is so much cheaper than what I see here in Edmonton. Vegas was cheaper with Uber earlier this year but not here for some reason.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 PM

I totally agree with op. I noticed it seems to be much closer to cab price now. I also had a few mediocre drivers as well. However it is still more convenient not having to exchange money etc. Had many bad cab experiences before Uber came and I think it made them step up at least a little bit.

Uber has been supplementing the costs for a long time to gain market share I believe and now are being forced to correct prices a little bit. Here is an article about it, crazy ****.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lensher...er-make-money/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 PM

I would pay the same price or even a bit more for an Uber over a taxi any day, all my experiences have been great though. Have heard a few horror stories on both sides that’s for sure.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:40 PM

Uber prices fluctuate with demand New Years and stampede time there not super cheap compared to a regular cab but you can track them and they will text and call when they pick you unlike the Calgary cabs that just leave go back to the airport and play cards. There’s a yellow cab app that similar to Uber or you can call for a quote before you book one to compare prices, in my experiences Uber has been about 15$ cheaper than a cab and one time I got picked up buy a guy with a lifted f350 diesel and it was the best uber ride I’ve ever had.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmmmm View Post
I totally agree with op. I noticed it seems to be much closer to cab price now. I also had a few mediocre drivers as well. However it is still more convenient not having to exchange money etc. Had many bad cab experiences before Uber came and I think it made them step up at least a little bit.

Uber has been supplementing the costs for a long time to gain market share I believe and now are being forced to correct prices a little bit. Here is an article about it, crazy ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really good article. Well worth the read. Thanks for posting a pretty good explanation of why the low price thing isn't a sustainable business model.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Used Uber in Edmonton - was perfect, the driver helped us loading our suitcases and unloading them at the airport.
Used it in Europe with a great ease and success as well. No worries about change etc.
Great service every time. The driver had a bottled water for us, iPhone charger. I didn’t expect the charger, lol! Nice newer cars all the time. Once was driven in a BMW SUV even. Will use them any time before I use a taxi.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=mmhmmmm;3826089]I totally agree with op. I noticed it seems to be much closer to cab price now. I also had a few mediocre drivers as well. However it is still more convenient not having to exchange money etc. Had many bad cab experiences before Uber came and I think it made them step up at least a little bit.

Yep Uber will come to an end or be forced to change when naïve drivers learn to figure out their NET pay after expenses. The expenses that uber has shirked off to naïve job seekers. Once the average Uber driver figures out the full cost of maintaining their car the gig is up.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
i think the driver gets 80% of the fare . Personally I like Uber better then taxi because the driver has better attitude (because they are rated after the ride )and the cars are cleaner and nicer .
They get paid 75% of the fair. They also make far under minimum wage if anything at all. Amazing how many people are willing to drive someone around for next to nothing.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
They get paid 75% of the fair. They also make far under minimum wage if anything at all. Amazing how many people are willing to drive someone around for next to nothing.
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the tax write-off (lease payments, servicing, etc.) is enough to keep Uber drivers in nicer cars? Quite a few of our drivers in Orlando were from Venezuela and Ecuador and drove way nicer cars than we own

My wife liked it - she got to practice her Spanish!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the price for rides with Uber have caught up to taxi pricing, at least here in Edmonton.
Yes and so has the smell inside them too.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 AM

Most in Calgary drive rentals that I’ve seen. No maintenance and no km overages. Cheap really.
Regarding cost like my buddy said to me, I don’t tip them cause as soon as you tip it’s the same cost as the cab. Pretty much just saving the tip with them but they make more so all good.