Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Having a different opinion is fine, spreading lies and false truths is where my problem lies.
Believing Outfitters shouldn’t have access to draw tags is your opinion, I believe the hard and fast 10% rule per WMU should be applied. Those are our opinions and we can discuss those maturely and learn from each other.
Claiming Outfitters are paying landowners for access, exchanging allocations and doing everything they can to prohibit residents from hunting are accusations of criminal activity. I’m not saying it hasn’t happened, or even that is doesn’t happen, but those are bad seeds who break the law, just like bad seed residents who break the law.

So I touched on your first question a bit. I think quota should be set at 10% of the residents harvest level. Ie. 10% of a certain species set aside in each WMU for non residents to hunt through outfitters. It’s a wonderful industry, it utilizes a renewable resource, and it brings funds in from outside the country.

To answer your first question regarding APOS, I’m not a member anymore so here it goes. I think APOS and the entire Outfitting industry in Alberta is flawed. Having multiple outfitters in one WMU is a terrible system. Also not allowing Outfitters to manage game within their territories is counter productive. I think APOS should be an advocate for the Outfitters they represent, not a governing body.
As for APOS handing out discipline to Outfitters that break the law, I don’t think they should have any part in it. If an Outfitter breaks the law it should be treated like any other crime. First offences should be fines, but if it continues why would the government wait for APOS to hand out a second punishment? The court should have the power to pull allocations and prohibit Outfitters from operating.
That’s not going to happen as long as APOS holds the power they do.

That’s the way I see it anyway. In BC I’m controlled by the government and advocated for by the GOABC. But if I step out of line the Government shuts me down. Don’t see why that wouldn’t work in Alberta
Thank you for your response.

I totally understand how you feel. I don't like it when people make broad brush statements about my profession either.

I am quite certain you work hard for your clients and deserve whatever you can make.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Outfitters get paid to take clients on a hunt, not to sell their scouted spots to a resident so they can go back the following year on their own and show their friends.
That’s why most Outfitters won’t take residents on OTC hunts. I’ll take anybody on a private land Mule Deer hunt if they have a draw that takes a priority 10 to draw.
But I’d never take a resident on a general moose hunt to one of my 25 honey holes so next year I can spend the summer looking for new spots while them and their friends hunted my old ones.

I don’t care how much you’d pay, that will never happen lol
I am the same way as you but make a living doing something else,but when it comes to my hunting spots I trust no one.I did try and trusted the odd guy just to find him tell ten friend's that tell's ten friend's and then I have to spend s ometimes years to find a great hunting spot.I hunt all crown land.

I spent 40 years hunting solo so I could enjoy places that were hard to get into and enjoy my hunts,sometimes I won't shoot anything after seeing a 100 moose.I don't hunt cause I am straving ,I hunt cause I like to explore and enjoy the animals and I lived most of my life in the bush.

In your case you also work very hard to give someone the thrill of a lifetime ,but they won't come back and destroy all your time and effort put into scouting these places out and this doesn't come free.Lots guys think an outfitter just has it made,well if was that easy they would all be doing it.

Being a good outfitter is a life time commitment and endless hour of hard work ,I think if you added all the hours you put in in one year preparing for these hunts your pay isn't as high as most guys think after the smoke clears.

To be a good outfitter is something to proud of and takes a certain breed of person that are getting more and more rare each year,so all the power to you and wish you many good years in your trade.There's outfitters that are just plain no good to the outdoors,so the good ones need to be around like your self to show that it can be done the right way.

JD
Old 08-13-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Not always right, no. But on this subject matter you’re mistaken.

You can take solace in knowing you don’t stand alone though.

Heck one guy thinks if you see a ram in another WMU you don’t have an allocation for you can just ride the packstring into Edmonton and exchange it because APOS has all the government officials in their pockets lol

Any way you have your self a great season, and don’t let others success dissuade you from getting out there and having a good time.

Onward and upward
Thanks for the good wishes. Say, you wouldn't have any openings left this fall would you? Maybe a last minute cancellation? Can I get a special residents rate? Shoot me a pm with prices and availability. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. Say, you wouldn't have any openings left this fall would you? Maybe a last minute cancellation? Can I get a special residents rate? Shoot me a pm with prices and availability. Thanks again.
Sorry, we're all booked now.

And hunts don’t cost less because you’re a resident, unless you only want 50% of the flight into spike camp, 50% of the food or 50% of the guide ? Let me know which part you’re looking to save on ?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Thank you for your response.

I totally understand how you feel. I don't like it when people make broad brush statements about my profession either.

I am quite certain you work hard for your clients and deserve whatever you can make.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you sir, I appreciate the civilized discussion
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I am the same way as you but make a living doing something else,but when it comes to my hunting spots I trust no one.I did try and trusted the odd guy just to find him tell ten friend's that tell's ten friend's and then I have to spend s ometimes years to find a great hunting spot.I hunt all crown land.

I spent 40 years hunting solo so I could enjoy places that were hard to get into and enjoy my hunts,sometimes I won't shoot anything after seeing a 100 moose.I don't hunt cause I am straving ,I hunt cause I like to explore and enjoy the animals and I lived most of my life in the bush.

In your case you also work very hard to give someone the thrill of a lifetime ,but they won't come back and destroy all your time and effort put into scouting these places out and this doesn't come free.Lots guys think an outfitter just has it made,well if was that easy they would all be doing it.

Being a good outfitter is a life time commitment and endless hour of hard work ,I think if you added all the hours you put in in one year preparing for these hunts your pay isn't as high as most guys think after the smoke clears.

To be a good outfitter is something to proud of and takes a certain breed of person that are getting more and more rare each year,so all the power to you and wish you many good years in your trade.There's outfitters that are just plain no good to the outdoors,so the good ones need to be around like your self to show that it can be done the right way.

JD
Thanks JD, it’s nice to hear some people still understand why we do what we do, and why we feel the way we do about it.
It’s got nothing to do with greed, we just want to make a living for our families like anybody else.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Outfitters get paid to take clients on a hunt, not to sell their scouted spots to a resident so they can go back the following year on their own and show their friends.
That’s why most Outfitters won’t take residents on OTC hunts. I’ll take anybody on a private land Mule Deer hunt if they have a draw that takes a priority 10 to draw.
But I’d never take a resident on a general moose hunt to one of my 25 honey holes so next year I can spend the summer looking for new spots while them and their friends hunted my old ones.

I don’t care how much you’d pay, that will never happen lol

That makes sense and that is your right as an outfitter to do so. Glad to hear the outfitters point of view. The whole point of this thread was about residents hiring outfitters.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:39 PM

And on that note, we should probably lock this one down on good terms, as the OP has likely gotten what he was looking for, and I don't want it to go down a negative path again.
Closed Thread