Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Look whats happening in the Yukon!!

https://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/...can-still-hunt
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Appears everywhere you look in Canada there closing the caribou hunting access. Green river ad leaf river heard closed, newfy extremely limited, Nuvato closing. Wow... will we ever remember the taste of Caribou?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 PM

Hopefully they can figure out what's going on and populations rebound someday. It would be a shame for the next generation to not be able to enjoy them too
Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 PM

Total BS that outfitters are still hunting and residents are not. Every job has periods of layoff's , outfitting should be no diferent.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Default caribou

Until Wildlife Officers/Bio's get a handle on the wolf populations caribou will continue on a never ending downward spiral.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Total BS that outfitters are still hunting and residents are not. Every job has periods of layoff's , outfitting should be no diferent.
It’s 1 year and likely only a half dozen animals maybe then it will be corrected next year.
The Yukon government and tourism Yukon are very careful in insuring that they don’t damage the image of any Outfitter because of closures like this.
If clients aren’t confident they will get to hunt the animals they booked they will start looking elsewhere for more stable regions.

A few animals being harvested 1 additional year does nothing to hurt the herd size, but cancelling the hunt could affect businesses long term.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big grey wolf View Post
until wildlife officers/bio's get a handle on the wolf populations caribou will continue on a never ending downward spiral.
100% bgw !!!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
It’s 1 year and likely only a half dozen animals maybe then it will be corrected next year.
The Yukon government and tourism Yukon are very careful in insuring that they don’t damage the image of any Outfitter because of closures like this.
If clients aren’t confident they will get to hunt the animals they booked they will start looking elsewhere for more stable regions.

A few animals being harvested 1 additional year does nothing to hurt the herd size, but cancelling the hunt could affect businesses long term.
Is there that many stable herds left?
My guides in bc said they see less and less
Yukon shutting down.
Nwt already shut down
I’m sure glad I got a good one last year
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Is there that many stable herds left?
My guides in bc said they see less and less
Yukon shutting down.
Nwt already shut down
I’m sure glad I got a good one last year
NWT isn’t shut down for mountain caribou and neither will the Yukon. I have a great herd of mountain caribou in my area in BC, numbers are very stable.

The migratory herds are what seems to be the big issue right now. Barren ground seem to be having a tougher time. Quebec is a prime example.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
NWT isn’t shut down for mountain caribou and neither will the Yukon. I have a great herd of mountain caribou in my area in BC, numbers are very stable.

The migratory herds are what seems to be the big issue right now. Barren ground seem to be having a tougher time. Quebec is a prime example.
I heard outside of the spatsizi they are down big time
But these are the same areas where they have reported huge increases in wolves and lots of grizzlies.
In 2017 we seen 2 calves in one group and they said those were the first calves they seen in years.

There were lots in Greenland where they have no predators
Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I heard outside of the spatsizi they are down big time
But these are the same areas where they have reported huge increases in wolves and lots of grizzlies.
In 2017 we seen 2 calves in one group and they said those were the first calves they seen in years.

There were lots in Greenland where they have no predators
Some areas are definitely down, any areas where they live in the trees are tough. Wolves and grizzly are very hard on ungulates
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Blaming the wolves again. They have been part of this ecosystem forever. Last time we were up at old crow the news came in that the Americans had shot over twice the quota before they could get the news out to the hunters that the season was closed. This happens on a regular bases. The same year the Americans caught so many salmon at the mouth of the Yukon that all fishing for salmon was shut down in the Yukon. Recreational and natives both. The Yukon is an Canadian territory but it’s wildlife is under the control of the U. S. you would be amazed of what the are getting away with.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM

https://e360.yale.edu/features/a_tro..._of_the_arctic
Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Blaming the wolves again. They have been part of this ecosystem forever. Last time we were up at old crow the news came in that the Americans had shot over twice the quota before they could get the news out to the hunters that the season was closed. This happens on a regular bases. The same year the Americans caught so many salmon at the mouth of the Yukon that all fishing for salmon was shut down in the Yukon. Recreational and natives both. The Yukon is an Canadian territory but it’s wildlife is under the control of the U. S. you would be amazed of what the are getting away with.
Wolves and bears are what kill Caribou, man doesn’t kill enough to put a dent in anything. They have definitely been a part of the ecosystem forever, and left unchecked their 50-70 year cycle of boom, depleted ungulates, starvation and disease, then a return of the ungulates will continue. But I don’t want to wait 70 years for it to get better before we see caribou in numbers again.

Americans were shooting caribou without Outfitters ??? Seems odd

What else are the Americans getting away with ?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wolves and bears are what kill Caribou, man doesn’t kill enough to put a dent in anything. They have definitely been a part of the ecosystem forever, and left unchecked their 50-70 year cycle of boom, depleted ungulates, starvation and disease, then a return of the ungulates will continue. But I don’t want to wait 70 years for it to get better before we see caribou in numbers again.

Americans were shooting caribou without Outfitters ??? Seems odd

What else are the Americans getting away with ?
There’s a reason why the old timers tried to wipe the wolves off the map
I’d rather have the ungulates over the wolves any day
Old 08-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
There’s a reason why the old timers tried to wipe the wolves off the map
I’d rather have the ungulates over the wolves any day
I agree sir !

I’m all for limiting those predator numbers 👍
Old 08-09-2018, 10:57 PM

Sorry missed this point. The Americans were shooting the caribou in Alaska. The herds they were shooting starts in Canada, move thru Alaska and the heads south east back in to the Yukon. By the time they got back into Canada the numbers had dropped so much they had to shut the season down.
Listened to a couple of biologists talk about the predation of caribou in Quebec and Labrador. Both agreed that wolves do take their share of caribou but pointed out that the biggest predators are the bears and ravens who take a big toll on the calves.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:22 AM

Trapper, the only reason Biologists say ravens and bears take most caribou is they are in bush during summer when they do not freeze their noses. If they would get in bush when -30oC in winter like trappers they would see what is really killing the caribou.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 PM

I agree in the winter the wolves are the main predators. From spring to summer the bears and raven kill off the calves. I was part of a 2 year study and was amazed at how many fawns the ravens were killing. Actually witnessed ravens teaming up to get doe away from fawn so the could kill it. Also talked to a number of ranchers who had witnessed ravens killing their calves. As a trapper I have been able to talk to other trappers who have seen ravens killing moose and elk calves. They kill them by attacking the eyes, navel or bite a hole into the intestines and pull them out.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Hmmm time to whack more ravens too
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Now your getting the picture. My wife tells me to get the gun every time they start flying over the yard. They try to get our ducks and peacocks and have attacked our dogs so many times they are now hiding under the vehicles when they hear them coming, and we have 4 big labs. They will chase moose and coyotes out of the yard but are terrified of ravens.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM

TrapperMike, I do agree the ravens can be very aggressive on ungulate calves including livestock. I really get mad when they eat all the young robins as well, so they get the 22 treatment at my place.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Ravens,WOW!!
Who'd a thunk it?
I always thought ravens were just scavengers of carrion,or preyed on small birds and mammals at most....didn't realize they were capable of hunting ungulates.😳
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Ravens,WOW!!
Who'd a thunk it?
I always thought ravens were just scavengers of carrion,or preyed on small birds and mammals at most....didn't realize they were capable of hunting ungulates.😳
Yup eat the eyes out and go from there...very aggressive and intelligent bird.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup eat the eyes out and go from there...very aggressive and intelligent bird.
Yep. An absolute travesty that there isn't open season in Alberta for those. Sure you can kill them on private land, but around here (and many other places) we are over run with them.

No song birds, and they kill plenty of game birds and their young too!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!