Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Default recurves

are there any recurve hunters in here?

i haven't bow hunted since i was a wee lad shooting gophers with my little bear 20# draw weight recurve...but my friends and i are looking into getting into bow hunting...and for some reason i am really drawn tot he recurves....

so my question is this...pros and cons of a recurve? do they hit as hard as a compound? and i would love to hear about those that hunt with them.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM

I'm just getting into traditional archery, ordered a custom longbow today. I'm sure there are a few guys here who can give you some better info, but from what I've seen so far while researching traditional bows: Recurves/longbows shoot generally about 150-200 fps, while the new compounds shoot over 300 fps so they definitely don't have as much speed. Max range is usually much less with the trad bow, and many trad bow guys shoot "instinctively", with no sights.

Lots of the trad bow kills are made under 20 yards. I used to hunt with a compound, and it is fairly easy with a good compound to make a kill at 40-50 yards. That's part of why I decided to get into it, for the challenge of getting close and harvesting game with a traditional weapon.

I hope you get a recurve, they are cool. I always admired the trad bow guys, they are generally a pretty dedicated bunch.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 PM

I've got an old recurve I used to hunt with, a Ben Pearson, 55 lbs at 29 inch draw. I've had it for at least 39 years, and it still shoots like new!!! Set it aside for a number of years, now I'm working at getting back in shape for hunting with it. Maybe next year because I'm just not that consistent with it past 15 meters yet, partly because I don't use sights.

Compared to compounds (which I don't particularly care for) they are a whole different game! No let off, so shots have to be well-timed and quick. They are a light and easy to carry through the bush; at least mine is because of the fact I have no sights or quiver attached to it. Definitely not as fast as a compound, so ranging, knowing trajectory, and wind effects is more critical. Obviously they don't "hit as hard" as a compound, but it's not about shock; it's about arrow placement on the target and good sharp broadheads. With good placement, good sharp broadheads, and within effective ranges a bow like mine will blow an arrow through a critter no problem.

Oh yeah, and I think recurve users should have their own season along with long bow users
Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post

i haven't bow hunted since i was a wee lad shooting gophers with my little bear 20# draw weight recurve...but my friends and i are looking into getting into bow hunting...and for some reason i am really drawn tot he recurves....

so my question is this...pros and cons of a recurve? do they hit as hard as a compound? and i would love to hear about those that hunt with them.
Pros and cons....hmmmmmm (recurve vs longbow)

Pro

Recurves are generally shorter (good in a stand or blind)
Recurves are generally quicker but hybrid longbows of reflex/deflex design have overcome that
Recurves usually have more mass making them easier to shoot and with less handshock.

Cons

Recurves are generally noisier (string slap on limb)
Shorter may be good in a stand and blind but it may not have as smooth a draw as a longer longbow.
Recurves are heavier to carry (we are talking ounces here not pounds)
I like longbows better.......they look more cool to me.

40-50# is a good weight range for a learning/hunting bow....what's the point of over-bowing yourself and not enjoying shooting the thing. Shooting a trad bow is way more FUN than shooting a compound. I enjoy shooting the things but I haven't progressed to hunting with them .....I have a confidence issue so I stick to the compound for hunting.

Trad bow vs compound

Con

trad more difficult to master (this is a big con)
less range
less speed

Pro

None (satisfaction maybe)
ok.........so less things to go wrong on a trad bow (no parts other than a string and a bow)
trad bows are a lot lighter to carry (we are talking 3 lbs lighter)
quicker to get off a shot

Last edited by CNP; 10-13-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM

I shoot a 56" flat bow, but started in something like 1966 with an old Fred Bear Deer Slayer recurve.

What I don't like about recurves is the fact that I used to get leaves and stuff stuck in the string against the limbs.
I don't hunt out of a treestand as a rule, and I found them to be a pain that way.

They tend to pull a bit smoother however.

With my flat bow I find that I can shoot it horizontily a bit easier than my recurves, and it is very light, not as light as a one piece flat bow however ( mine is a two piece take down by Jack Kempf).

My son also shoots a long bow.

I do not hunt with one becauase of any advantages to it however.
I quit comparing the advantages of bows, rifles ,and shotguns a long time ago, because it usually ends up in an argument - not a god thing when you are yelling at yourself !
I hunt with them because I like them, not because of any advantage or disadvantage to them.
I also use wood arrows and fixed blade broadheads, just because ...
Cat
Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Default Where are you located?

Hi,

If you are in calgary I can introduce you to a bunch of traditional shooters that shoot 3D and some that hunt. If you ask them they all say they just like traditional gear and they don't compare one bow to the other.

Anyway I always say the best bow is the one that feels the best. If it feels good, shoots well and you like it. Odds are you will be successful.

Cheers.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Hi,

If you are in calgary I can introduce you to a bunch of traditional shooters that shoot 3D and some that hunt. If you ask them they all say they just like traditional gear and they don't compare one bow to the other.

Anyway I always say the best bow is the one that feels the best. If it feels good, shoots well and you like it. Odds are you will be successful.

Cheers.

unfortunately i am in lethbridge...but you do give good advice....i will def. have to shoot a few different types of bows and see what i end up gravitating towards. the truth is i have only shot a compound bow a couple of times in my life..so i guess i should give it a chance before deciding.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Cat talked about getting branches stuck in between the string and the limb on a recurve, that used to drive me nuts, but if you can find "brush buttons" they nearly eliminate that problem.

Otherwise I love hunting with a recurve, no sights, nothing sticking out, so not to bad in the thick bush (now that I have brush buttons) and nice and light, I do lots of walking with my bow.

As to killing power, well if I ever shoot anything I'll get back to you, but don't let my lack of success be much of an indication.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
Cat talked about getting branches stuck in between the string and the limb on a recurve, that used to drive me nuts, but if you can find "brush buttons" they nearly eliminate that problem.

Otherwise I love hunting with a recurve, no sights, nothing sticking out, so not to bad in the thick bush (now that I have brush buttons) and nice and light, I do lots of walking with my bow.

As to killing power, well if I ever shoot anything I'll get back to you, but don't let my lack of success be much of an indication.
you have to stay awake while you hunt to get anything Scar.............lol
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
Even with brush buttons I found that that I was
still getting stuff stuck in them!
Cat
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM

I only shoot Recurves and longbows now.
They put the "Hunt " into hunting.
One of the main reasons I like trad bows so much is the simplicity. Nothing to go wrong, or come loose, and the weight factor is great. Some I have weigh only 12 ounces.
Power wise they have lots to do the job if you do your part. I don't shoot over 50# at 27" draw.

Getting a good trad bow is not expensive. A custom built varies from 350 up. The resale value is excelent. They depreciate very little. Rack bows that shoot good start at about $150, and go up from there.
Today we also have the option to use the same limbs as the Olympic shooters use.This is the ILF system, where you can mix and match risers and limbs from diferent makers. The ILF bows are also adjustable for draw length to eleminate stack, and make tuning very easy. ILF Limb prices start at $150 and go up from there. You don't need $600. limbs. ILF Risers go from The same range.

Drop by my site and read the trad reviews, There are a lot of them there on Longbows and Recurves.{ I do not sell anything} http://www.peteward.com

I can help put you in contact with a place to buy a bow, custom or a factory production model.Drop me a note if I can help .
Http://www.Git-r-donearchery.com in Calgary is a very good place to shop for trad gear

Pete
Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 AM

Recurves are fun for sure and they have a riser similar to a compound which adds mass and might make the transition easier (for some). I that you will probably find it easier to shoot a flat bow/longbow at wierd angles.

I shoot a 56" checkmate recurve with ash arrows and glue on b/h... like cat says - for fun. I've learned lots from Pete's site - one of the best trad sites going. We're lucky to have him in AB.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Hi,

Odds are you will be successful.

Cheers.
Shooting trad redefines how you measure success which is a success in itself.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
I have one, Darton Maverick Express recurve limbs CP6 cams love it to death...
Oh you mean one with out wheels

Yeah I only have one of those 30 lb Samick take downs, not that great of a bow, I like my Pearson Pony better for bow birds and its a longbow.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM

I bought a longbow on ebay after shooting one at our sportsman show. I didn't want to shell out a bunch of $ for a new one just to find out I didn't like it. I practiced with it religously (and exclusively, I shelved my Tomkat compound) preparing for a mountain caribou hunt and a prairie bull moose draw hunt. I ended up shooting my bou with a muzzle loader as it just wasn't in the cards to get close enough to a bou (that and the fact they were pretty scarce as it was really warm) I've had a couple of days worth of longbow moose adventures had some good encounters but could only get to with 40-45 yards of a 45"bull. My effective longbow range is under 30. I will admit I was tempted to toss the longbow aside and pull the compound out but so far I've resisted.

There's something addicting about shooting a longbow (or recurve). No pins, peeps, string loops, pulleys, screws, releases to monkey with. Just string it and shoot there's something satisfying in the simplicity of that.

Here's a site to check out:
quartermoonbows.com
Bert's a good guy and makes bows that shoot well and look like works of art, that's where my next longbow will come from.

I can also attest to pete's link to get-r-dun, Denis is a super guy and is willing to help out a newbie, I wouldn't hesitate to ask him for some insight. You could probably go by his shop and shoot some longbows or recurves.

Gd luck...if you try the trad thing I'm sure you'll enjoy it.