Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbirnie View Post
Here's what I do, After skinning, I get the garden hose out, wash both inside and out until all pink water is removed(with a little dawn)and all the crap is off, and everything else. Then what I do is, turn him fur out, put him on my drying board, get my shop vac out, put it on blow, and blow all the water from the fur, then turn him skin out, keep blowing all water off skin side. Then I throw him on my homemade fleshing post that needs some revamping. Flesh him/her. Then I board skin out for 15-24 hours pending on temp in the old garage. I turn him fur out, split both ears from base to tip, let dry for 24 - 36 hours, then pin his ears forward. I then let them sit on the stretchers until I need that one or 6 days at the least.
try and get an old hoover washing machine it's got a side washer and a spinner they are great

Last edited by Benjamin; 02-18-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling lol
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 AM

Doesn't bother them much if at all and I can't explain that.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Default pinn the ears forward to the nose

the way the auctions want them is the ears pinned forward short legges in the front a little longer in the back and no lower jaw. they like the dawn
Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Coyote trapping

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone would be able to take the time to show me how to build, set, and trap coyotes. I have a quarter section of land near Breton with about 70 acres of forrest with a ton of coyotes in the area. I will be shooting as many as I can this year but want to trap as well. Of course for the trade you can keep the dogs. The know how is all I want for now. In total I have 5 quarters to hunt on all in the same block with no worries of farm dogs getting caught. ( I hope ).
Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 PM

As for trapping, pretty sure you have to have a trappers license.Hunting them will probably be the most productive. A good predator call and the being smart about how you setting up to call.Also great practice. Good luck
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM

So... how long do we have to look at this post for???

I am quite bored with it. Lots more other animals to trap than coyotes.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

If your in it for the money, trapping is the way to go, if your in it for the port hunting then you have your answer, my philosophy is that you do a lot of damage to the fur when it's shot unless your a real good marksman.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

well I wish I could be there to help you out. There's different ways to trap and hunt cayotes, I found the best way is to set a bait trap, find a heavy bush area that is open all around near a field or simillar, put bait in the middle, clean out about 6 to 8 trail about a foot wide, but not straight, make them look natural as much as you can, then about 10 to 20 feets from your bait set the snares, I prefer using power ram with the snares, it really does the job on them, but not neccessary. set you snare about 6 to 8 inches off the ground. in an area that you have I would set bout 10 stations and maintain them well everyday, you'll enjoy the results.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:26 PM

Default Beginner Coyoye Hunter

What do you guys do with your coyotes? We want to start hunting coyotes but I don't have a clue what to do with them once we get one. Whats a good source to learn how to skin a coyote? Tanning? I'm thinking I would just want to hang them on the wall.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
2 quick question for you guys???????

1. Fleas, when I shoot a coyote, (pending on how bad he is bleeding) I usually put him in a garbage bag, and spray raid in there. This is what I was told, He he is bleeding too bad to put in a garbage bag, I hang him up, then spray raid on him, wait 45min or so, then skin. Just wondering if this how everyone takes care of the fleas????Can a human get fleas from a coyote????

2. Carcass, when I am done skinning, I usually plant the carcass's in the bush, somewhere where I can only find it. This is the first place I go in the morning's to get my first dog of the day. I have not had anything eat them other than raven's, Will coyote's eat there own skinned species, or am I wasteing my time going here and doing this???????? I thought I can use this as kinda bait maybe?????? I usual split them open when I discard of them to make them stink good??????????

Thanks again for any comments or advice with these questions

i do the same most of the time or if u cant skinn them fresh and the coyote freezes that will kill the flease
i have got fleas from coyotes but they only last for 2 or 3 showers it u have a bath and put your head under water that helps. but they arnt much to wory about.

and this year i sent 126 hides to the sale i only traped 24 of them and only one was in a leg hold
snares are normaly beter for me untill this year where i found a spot that the coyotes where coming off of a feedlot dead pile and going to the creek i avreged 5 coyotes a day in this spot when the wind was right.

and one question what do u guys use for coyotes i use a 22-250
Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecourtwolverine View Post
What do you guys do with your coyotes? We want to start hunting coyotes but I don't have a clue what to do with them once we get one. Whats a good source to learn how to skin a coyote? Tanning? I'm thinking I would just want to hang them on the wall.
if u take your traping course which you need to have if u wana set snares that is a good way to learn
and taning can cost any where from 55 buck to 100
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 AM

yah I would sugesst snare as they work all day and all you have to do is set them and check then often (once a day at least)
good luck with getting more coyotes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So in everyone's opionon, whats the easiest way to bag coyote's?????

Predator Calling
or
Trapping and snaring

I have been doing alot of calling, but I may consider setting some snares,pending on cost of supplies and equipment.
Im new to your site and to trapping. I have hunted coyote's all my life and shoot 15 to 25 a year not trying hard . i just started trapping and had 25 coyotes in less than a month and a half. So i say snairing is the cheepest and fastest way to kill k9's.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail boy View Post
i do the same most of the time or if u cant skinn them fresh and the coyote freezes that will kill the flease
i have got fleas from coyotes but they only last for 2 or 3 showers it u have a bath and put your head under water that helps. but they arnt much to wory about.

and this year i sent 126 hides to the sale i only traped 24 of them and only one was in a leg hold
snares are normaly beter for me untill this year where i found a spot that the coyotes where coming off of a feedlot dead pile and going to the creek i avreged 5 coyotes a day in this spot when the wind was right.

and one question what do u guys use for coyotes i use a 22-250
I find everything loves coyote . I throw mine on the bait pile and the coyotes eat them first.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM

Default Skinning?

Is there a you tube video of this? I'd like to see one. Thx
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM

hey anyone.... I just started dog hunting myself.... Would be very interested in snaring also. Do I need special license for that. And is there a good web site to go look at as to how to make GOOD snares?? Is there a bounty on yoties this year, and if so how much??? I have so many coyoties where I live its crazy. Any help would be fantastic... thanks guys
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Default nice looking fur

Washing the pelts seem like a good idea. I always wash the area were most of the blood is but i think washing of the pelts is a better idea. comb them quite freq also. When i recieve my pelt assesment or rateing of my pelts i have never lost money because of ear cartlege. I leave it in. my uncle skins them out . I think its about preference. for flees i spry raid in a big black garbage bag then pull it up over the dog tieing it on top. this works well. I recently just joined this site love it alot of good ideas. good info. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Fleas i can handle, but what do you do with the mangey ones?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Fr Sask. the yotes around here are cannibals.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM

so what do you guys do with the meat after? how long can you wait before drying out the pelts? Does a guy make those stretch boards or did you guys buy them?

Last edited by Steveo1; 02-11-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM

I'm 31. hunted my whole life. just started trapping three weeks ago. all in leg holds. apparently I suck at snares. lol. but Ive put 14 dogs on the stretchers in the last three weeks. not all trapped but some shot. I love the trapping though. very interested in the snaring info. thanks guys.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 AM

Default Hi Guys,

I think this would help,
http://www.nafa.ca/trapper/Resources...anual_2009.pdf
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 AM

nice looking pelts i dont see anything wrong alot of people leave the cartilege i personly take it out its just how i was tought after u have the coyote skinned if u take and hook a pail of pliers on the cartilage and give a good pull it will seperate from the ear this takes some practice thou dont expect the first few dogs to come out with full ears but dont wory about that i got the same price for the ones with half ears when i started as the ones with full ears
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1 View Post
so what do you guys do with the meat after? how long can you wait before drying out the pelts? Does a guy make those stretch boards or did you guys buy them?
I leave the carcass for the magpies. it's fitting.

The hide should be stretched and dried ASAP, within 24 hours in most cases, or frozen.

I make my own boards. I have never found a commercial made stretcher that I liked.

I make mine a lot more complicated the necessary, because I build a flat hinge instead of using a leather strap to hold the two halves together.

The leather works but I find they limit or hinder board movement and they can allow the two boards to fold together like a book. Not good.

I make a flat plywood hinge that would work similar to the black hinge in this photo,

Sorry, I don't have a photo of my hinge and all my boards are up north in my trapping shack.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM

Question; Ive got lots of coyotes with fleas and they don't bother me. The raid and a garbage bag works well for them, but I got four in the latter part of the season that had something else. they were matted badly and one in particular was worse than the others and was absolutely crawling with some tiny white bugs of some kind. looked like a louse perhaps don't know. Almost like tinny white spiders. still makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. lol. I tried to do one but after skinning I couldn't wash him clean and he stunk terribly . probably rolled in something dead to stop the itch i'm thinking. Does anybody know what the bugs are?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM

snares,pending
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM

For any of you new folk check out Marty SENNEKER's website (google it) lots of gear and info.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Banned

Are there any trapping shows coming to town?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Default the removial of cartilge is vary important Iv had coyotes rot http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/angry3.gif

Quote:
Hey guys, new to the board and new to the Coyote game:

I have a couple coyote's in the garage drying, this is the process I did for them, looking for any other tips or suggestions.

Shot 2 coyote's
Skinned them, put them on a stretcher, washed both sides with garden hose and a little Dawn. Did my best with fleshing, (weak point). Dries skin out for 20-24 hours, turned them hide out, combed with a fine wire brush.

I had a guy tell me instead of removing the ear cartilage, he just puts 2 slices from the base of the ear to the tip of the ear, then he pins them towards the eyes. I have had people tell me, no this is wrong, make sure to remove the cartilage. This guy tells me if you just cut them they will dry without removing them.

I am also told the adjustable stretchers are not recommended now. is this true, I do have solid wood ones but I sure like the adjustable's??????

Below are my first 2 dogs, click on image to enlarge I guess, can anyone see anything wrong with what I am doing. The one on the right I thought was pretty big????????

Thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Hey guys. I just read this thread and will try to answer a bunch of questions I seen posted.
Fleas: Hang them up by a hind leg and spray the whole animal. If you are spraying them in a bag, make sure you spray both sides, not just into the bag. All fox and coyotes have fleas and the healthier the animal, the more fleas it has. Fleas are actually a good thing on coyotes and fox, they're just a pain in the butt for us. Yes the canine fleas WILL bite humans and your domestic dogs.
Carcasses: Coyotes are not typically cannibalistic, but during the dead of winter they will eat whatever they can, including themselves. It's not their first choice buy beggars can't be choosers.
Skinning, fleshing and boarding canines: I can type thousands of words and never explain it properly. Watch my videos on YouTube on skinning, fleshing and boarding coyotes. There are 3 videos, each dealing with each aspect of putting up coyotes. My channel is 5911ryan
Catching coyotes: Again, I have videos up showing how I bait, where I set and what type of cover I'm looking for.
Hopefully I've added a few constructive thoughts to this. Ryan