Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-22-2007, 06:37 AM

27 years old
Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM

2 quick question for you guys???????

1. Fleas, when I shoot a coyote, (pending on how bad he is bleeding) I usually put him in a garbage bag, and spray raid in there. This is what I was told, He he is bleeding too bad to put in a garbage bag, I hang him up, then spray raid on him, wait 45min or so, then skin. Just wondering if this how everyone takes care of the fleas????Can a human get fleas from a coyote????

2. Carcass, when I am done skinning, I usually plant the carcass's in the bush, somewhere where I can only find it. This is the first place I go in the morning's to get my first dog of the day. I have not had anything eat them other than raven's, Will coyote's eat there own skinned species, or am I wasteing my time going here and doing this???????? I thought I can use this as kinda bait maybe?????? I usual split them open when I discard of them to make them stink good??????????

Thanks again for any comments or advice with these questions
Old 11-23-2007, 07:51 PM

My friend blames me for getting flea bites when he helped drag a coyote out of a coulee. Funny, I wasn't bitten and I carried it for a mile. He only helped up the final 200 yards of the bank. Wimp! Maybe his dogs' fleas got him?

I just put the coyotes in a bag and spray them, whether bleeding or not. You should wash them anyways. I heard some people stuff kleenex into the bullet holes?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Usually, I make the first cut and then spray the fleas...the cut seems to bring them all to surface......the bites seem to bother some people and not others ??

And around here, the only thing that eats the carcasses are magpies and ravens.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:02 PM

So Bushmaster, you don't put them in the garbage bag????And spray let them sit??

Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 AM

Yes, I used to put them in a bag but gave it up. If the coyote is at all warm when you do it, the fleas don't even know their host is dead yet. I make the knee thru anus to knee cut...you'll see the fleas come to the ends of the hair to see whats going on....have the raid ready and let them have it. In 10 minutes, you're good to go...
Old 11-24-2007, 12:49 PM

What kind of percentage have fleas????? 85% - 90% or all of them.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM

All of them....and fox seem to be worse !!

I catch maybe 1 fox to 10 or 15 coyotes.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Do you remove bottom lip??????????

Thanks Bushmaster
Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Yes....cut if off when you skin them, not after you take them off the board.

Once they are dry and you cut them, they leave a sharp edge and they won't like it when they go to tumble them.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 PM

oh, crap, didn't know that, I havn't cut any lips off yet. I will certainly start doing that though.

Another question.

My trapping buddy says to tie a small string arouond the base of the tail, then pull softly to the end of the board, tie it off, this helps to stretch the left over slack on the back. Do you guys like this idea or not.
P.S not a tight stretch, just a little, I quite doing this, for the last couple, because the weight of my little tail pinning board is doing about the same. Just wondering.

I don't, I think I may be a little bit too worried about getting docked too much. I would just be heart broken if all my hard work on these dogs resulted in $20 bucks a piece. I really enjoy doing it, but the little extra cash is also nice too.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:51 PM

The tail board is likely enough....I don't tie the tails down.

Do you wash and dry your hides ??
Old 11-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Here's what I do, After skinning, I get the garden hose out, wash both inside and out untill all pink water is removed(with a little dawn)and all the crap is off, and everything else. Then what I do is, turn him fur out, put him on my drying board, get my shop vac out, put it on blow, and blow all the water from the fur, then turn him skin out, keep blowing all water off skin side. Then I throw him on my homemade fleshing post that needs some revamping. Flesh him/her. Then I board skin out for 15-24 hours pending on temp in the old garage. I turn him fur out, split both ears from base to tip, let dry for 24 - 36 hours, then pin his ears forward. I then let them sit on the stretchers untill I need that one or 6 days at the least.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 AM

The fox this year have thousands of fleas. The coyotes have some. I wear gloves when skinning and the fleas are just brushed off. I would rather deal with the fleas than smelling raid. There are a couple of diseases that are associated with wolves and coyotes and gloves are a good idea.

I skin in the calving pastures or in the barn and then place the hide in a white garbage bag tie it off and place in in the freezer. I dump carcasses back on the line and generally add them to bait piles. This way I can flesh later on and the fleas are all dead and there is no carcuss when I get home.

After they are fleshed bloody pelts are washed in laundry soap and cool water, wrung out and left to drip for an hour or so then boarded with skin out for 8-10 hours untill dry but not hard, turned fur out brushed heavy and let dry for week.

For the ears and boards here are some guidelines from the auction http://www.furharvesters.com/PDF/pelthandling.pdf
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Coyote container

Rbirnie, one of the best things to use for coyotes, is a large, 118Litre Rubbermaid tub. It fits in the back of your truck, you can line the bottom with kitty litter for blood soaking, I've had up to 5 coyotes in it at once. It's inexpensive,and contains the blood, a great spot to contain the raid, to kill the fleas, and it keeps dead coyotes away from prying eyes.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Rbirnie, one of the best things to use for coyotes, is a large, 118Litre Rubbermaid tub. It fits in the back of your truck, you can line the bottom with kitty litter for blood soaking, I've had up to 5 coyotes in it at once. It's inexpensive,and contains the blood, a great spot to contain the raid, to kill the fleas, and it keeps dead coyotes away from prying eyes.

Great idea, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM

[IMG]1[/IMG]

Last edited by WhiskeyJack; 02-12-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Sorry Rbirnie, it's actually the 189Litre Rubbermaid tub, you can get them at Wal-mart or Canadian Tire.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM

[img]

Last edited by WhiskeyJack; 02-12-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM

Nice pic there whiskeyjack is that this years or last would look good in my blanket lol that's what i'm going to do with my coyotes . anybody out there know of any really good places to get them sewed together
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Talking new snare

i just started coyote snaring as of 2 days ago and i got two coyotes today,im using steaks going to extensions(4 foot long)then my snare this allows for the coyote to hit the snare then start running and get some speed before it hit the tight spot. I am wondering if you guys use the same snares over and over or if you do it the easy way and cut them off the coyote and peg, then buy new ones and just reattach them to the peg again.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Most snares are ruined after a catch.....snares are considered a one time only deal.....I make mine and put a new one on after a catch.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM

thanks thats good cause thats what i did today one coyote jumped through the nare so it was around his waist gave a good enough struggle the snare was all permanently bent.Bush master earlier in the forum you talked of utting your snares in the open what trails do you look for cuz in the open in my backyard where i snare they seem to not care much for trails they roam where they please
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 PM

apart from setting snares out in hte open wheres you preffered place to buy snares i live in medicine hat SE corner of alberta
Old 12-11-2007, 10:01 AM

how many coyotes do you average a winter out here?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM

trouble, they follow cow trails or natural game trails...sometimes very faint...or you can make your own trails with a quad or skidoo. They like to follow the easiest way....

Snare supplies can be bought at Halford Hide or the Alberta Trappers Assn. in Westlock. Halfords are in both Edmonton and Calgary....Ive never been in the Calgary store so not sure what they stock but Edmonton has a good stock and ships very quickly.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM

awsome info on here guys what is the odds of seeing some pics posted of some thing other then just coyotes as they seem to be the most common pic posted
if possible maybe lnyx wolves marten and fishers on and off the boards as well
it has always amazed me when a grown man stands beside something on a board just how long some animals are
on a side note how big of an area do lynx travel in?
one area i know in about a 5mile radius i find a lot of lynx tracks and have only seen one in 10 years but outside of this area i don't find many tracks just curious on this
i used to spend hours helping my grandpa check his traps when i was little and got to watch him skin mink muskrat and beaver before he died he taught me how to skin coon and fox but have never taken up trappping on my own since moving to alberta 15 years ago i havent done any of it but love seeing the results and hearing the stories about it all
good luck all
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM

Default handling coyotes

Takes me 5 minutes to skin a coyote!
Takes me 30 minutes to flesh
Use an automatic washing machine to wash
Takes me about 10 minutes to strectch it out

Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Coyote Ears

I learnt a good way to flesh out the ears a long time ago........when your skinning and get to the ears......use your fingers to get that little pocket/hole on top of the head....then use something cylindrical....like a larger screw driver...and put it through the hole and grab the handle and the end of the screw driver and apply steady pressure down wards.....you will flesh the ears out nicely.....

This method was past down from a trapper in eastern ontario..who traps hundreds of coyotes a year and it was past down to him from a trapping trip he took to Australia....those aussies skin a lot of foxes let me tell you

Hey any body got any good tips on calling...i've been using that yu-ti caller it sounds great.....to me.....not so much to the coyotes i guess cause i haven't called any in.......
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM

handling snares with bare hands ???? wow!!!! does that not leave any sent on the snare?

Last edited by Benjamin; 02-17-2009 at 09:32 PM.