Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 03:19 PM

Default .243 Load for Coyotes

Hi all. Great forum. I looked back a couple of months in chatter to see if this had been brought up lately but didn't notice. So, apologies in advance if its been asked a million times before - similar to "whats the best gun for bear defence" - but I want to make a sound decision.

I'm Looking for advice on .243 ammo for canines. I want to salvage the hides, and minimize the "exit" wound as much as possible. Also, while I totally "get" the reasons and love of the 22-250 (nice round) I've decided on the .243 cause I get more flexibility out of it - ie, my son can use it on deer as well. Also, I dont reload. I want to eventually, but I'll be buying ammo off the shelf for now.

I'd also welcome advice on where to shoot the buggers. Head shots ? shoulder, center of mass ? Again, its about salvaging the hide. Do, for example, fur buyers reject fur thats been head-shot ?

Thanks in advance.. I'm a total newbie to this game.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:31 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312649

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanks kindly
Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 AM
AO Sponsor

Always shoot for the ribs. If you like violent ammo and call, pick face front shots and bury low in the chest, fur market likes those. Ideally a pelt has it's head left on, it is a presentation market, however the Chinese really like buying headless coyotes that are otherwise perfect for $5.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Always shoot for the ribs. If you like violent ammo and call, pick face front shots and bury low in the chest, fur market likes those. Ideally a pelt has it's head left on, it is a presentation market, however the Chinese really like buying headless coyotes that are otherwise perfect for $5.
X2 : Yeah, buyers get some deals on pelts downgraded because of a fault in the pelt that they aren't going to use anyway. Savvy business men!

The rest, what he said.

NO gut shot........big no-no.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:30 PM

I've used the 243 extensively and the best I have found is the Barnes 80gr ttsx. Always expect an exit but if you keep off the big bones it is minimal.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 PM

All great advice, thanks kindly gents. I got some PM's as well.