Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default "From Flowage to Fashion" DVD

Has anyone received and watched the video yet? I thought that the muskrat "From Marsh to Market" DVD was good and I'm looking forward to watching this beaver one.

https://nawfsc.com/news/

*”From Flowage to Fashion” – Long Awaited Beaver DVD Released*
The long awaited second DVD on fur handling, produced by the North American Wild Fur Shippers Council, will be available to members early this fall. This DVD, like the inaugural “From the Marsh to Main street” DVD, is free to current members of the WFSC and will be included with the fall issue of the” International Trapper”. The IT will also serve as a companion to the DVD with much of the referenced material available in the magazine

This second in the series focuses on beaver and is titled “From Flowage to Fashion”. It is 3˝ hours in length and begins with the relationship of beaver to the very roots of the Fur Trade and the founding of our company North American Fur Auctions.

The DVD starts with pre-handling tips on the field care of your pelts, then takes an in depth look at several different skinning and fleshing techniques with an emphasis on helpful hints, proper equipment, their care and sharpening. It also covers drumming, proper boarding, sizing and drying. With a little side trip, it ventures into several value added techniques from beaver tails to correct handling and grading of castors to beaver as the newest gourmet interest.

The grading of beaver is often a confusing series of pelt breakdowns. The DVD follows each step in a simplified manner, and is designed for even the first time shipper to understand. It looks in detail at the mistakes trappers make in handling their pelts and imperfections that occur beyond the control of the fur handler. Buyers give a different perspective on the needs for their clients and the garments they create. The auction process is demystified and explained.

And finally a look at the end result:

What drives the fur business?
What is our part as harvesters in the final product?
How can we relate to and understand all that goes into creating a piece of fur magic that captivates the consumer? After all, the interest and demand by the fashion conscious public is what keeps us on the flowages.
The DVD is by far the most extensive and detailed look at the entire chain of beaver in the fur industry. Its goal is to increase the fur handlers understanding of the process, his handling skills and the value of his product for everyone involved.

Reminder: As a benefit of membership, the DVD will be mailed, late this fall, to all paid members with their IT magazine subscription. Please make sure that your membership and IT subscription are up to date.

Distribution to members without an IT subscription and expiring members who have not yet renewed will be communicated later.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 PM

No I have not received it yet.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 PM
Banned

I'll check at the ATA when I take my fur in next week. That's where I got the muskrat one a couple of years ago.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 AM

I don't think they are sent out yet. We haven't received one yet nor did some people I talked to in Westlock.
I just called Mary (she will be back in about 15 minutes) and I'll let you know.
Doug
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Banned

^^^^Okay, thanks. It's not an emergency though. I can wait until they are available.^^^^
Old 12-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Just talked to Mary. Soon, very soon, she said. Some may already ion the mail.