Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2015, 07:45 PM

Default 10 dead horses?

Can a person get the stuff they used to sell called 10 dead horses anymore? I remember using years ago to attract bears, and think it would work well as a coyote attractant.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 PM

I think they quit making that stuff about 15 years ago.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 PM

Lmao. No idea what your talking about , but looks funny coupled with your wtb 10deadhorses thread when you first log on while zoomed in a bit so all you see is wtb 10DH .....

Hope ya find some.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Dont know about 10 dead horses but I think the smoke sticks 7 miles of dead fish is still available .
Old 12-05-2015, 03:47 PM

I had a can of 10 dead horses years ago but not a clue what the heck happened to it
Old 12-05-2015, 05:35 PM

All it does is make meat rott faster. It does not actually smell itself if I remember correct. At least that was the case with the can of the stuff I had. You are supposed to mix it with meat and the bacteria start to break down the meat faster
Old 12-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Man I just got the dry heaves thinking about the smell. You could smell that stuff from half a mile away...Bears could smell it a lot further.

And yes Nube it smells like puke in a can, even just the powder. I think your memory is failing you on this point or you burnt your nostrils when you opened the can and lost your sense of smell
Old 12-07-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Man I just got the dry heaves thinking about the smell. You could smell that stuff from half a mile away...Bears could smell it a lot further.

And yes Nube it smells like puke in a can, even just the powder. I think your memory is failing you on this point or you burnt your nostrils when you opened the can and lost your sense of smell
Never seen it in powder form. I just remember my dad had a can of it when I was very young. It had been sitting in the garage frozen for a couple winters and it was a liquid form I think and had to mix it into hamburger.
Sounds like really rank stuff if it is like you described and glad I never got the real experience lol
Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Never seen it in powder form. I just remember my dad had a can of it when I was very young. It had been sitting in the garage frozen for a couple winters and it was a liquid form I think and had to mix it into hamburger.
Sounds like really rank stuff if it is like you described and glad I never got the real experience lol
LOL....... They were in pink cans, but .it was powder in side the can. May have been liquid in the beginning but at the end powder. I can still smell it and the last time I opened a can was 25 years ago at a friends place because he asked me to help him with it. I think I got suckered.

Worked like sourdough bread... If you kept some from the original rotted up mix, you always had a starter for your next batch. You only ever needed or for that matter wanted 1 can.