Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM

Default ))))))))))))))))) Beavers wanted ((((((((((((((((

Beavers wanted, for bear baiting, won't pay more then 7 bucks a piece. but willing to take as many as you have. Will be traveling up to GP from Southern Alberta In late april and can pick them up with the cash. Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Default beavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan4 View Post
Beavers wanted, for bear baiting, won't pay more then 7 bucks a piece. but willing to take as many as you have. Will be traveling up to GP from Southern Alberta In late april and can pick them up with the cash. Thanks
No disrespect but don't think you'll find too many at the price,with the price of feul right now be lucky for 10 minimum,IMO,lot of work goes into setting,catching and skinning beavers,i think alot of other Trappers would agree that $7 dollars is low balling IMO,Peter
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
No disrespect but don't think you'll find too many at the price,with the price of feul right now be lucky for 10 minimum,IMO,lot of work goes into setting,catching and skinning beavers,i think alot of other Trappers would agree that $7 dollars is low balling IMO,Peter
no dis respect to you pcp but after you have skinned a beaver what do you do with the carcass? unless you are using the carcasses for something, would'nt you just throw them away anyways?
duncan...if you get to edm. once in awhile i might have an alternate supply of bear bait you might like.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
no dis respect to you pcp but after you have skinned a beaver what do you do with the carcass? unless you are using the carcasses for something, would'nt you just throw them away anyways?
duncan...if you get to edm. once in awhile i might have an alternate supply of bear bait you might like.
Wouldn't toss it when theirs lots of bear hunters willing to pay 10 each and with the price of beavers right now that's about the only way to make a dollar is the carcass
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM

15$ at trapper gords. lots of other ways to make money on beaver.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM

No Beaver trapper in his right mind would "throw them out anyway" as their worth money, the same as the hide or the castor. There are bear hunters paying as much for a carcass as you get for a hide.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM

My buddy waited until a few weeks into bear season to get beavers and paid $20 a piece for carcasses, that trapper made out pretty good after you add up castor, carcass and hide.

I sold beaver skulls for $10 a piece this year, XXXL pelt got $11 US at the auction...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Banned

didn't realise beaver carcasses were in such demand. planning on shooting some in the spring (if it ever comes) at a farm where they are a problem for the landowner. maybe i'll buy an old freezer and start saving them.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Default Beavers

I sell for $10, not greedy. If I trapped 100, I would get calls for 150 of them. Demand is always far greater than supply. Never though of selling skulls. Always do decent on castors. Dog would run away if I gave anyone else the tails.

Spruce
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't sell for under 10$ either. If anyone does they are getting ripped.....
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM

I keep all my beavers for trapping bait and a couple to bear bait myself. If I was to sell any I would have to get $50 a piece as that is what they are worth to me. Right now trapping beaver is just not worth it.
I have baited bears for awhile now and believe me you do not need beavers. Get some good stink going with meat scraps and fish guts. You will see bears.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM

Default Beavers

ya 10 for one alone maybe. But if your buying bulk shouldn't it be a better deal same as anything.? So much negativity. I am not trying to start a battle. I just want some Beavers..... Anyone who wants to help just pm. Thanks anyways fellas
Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
I wouldn't sell for under 10$ either. If anyone does they are getting ripped.....
X2 come crunch time for bears try and by carcasses dealing with the bottom of the barrel at this time for carcasses,buyers beware but don't think your Gunna low ball unless your dealing with a few carcasses with a weekend warrior for 7$ lol this is insulting to guys that work there a.s off that try to market carcasses over low pelt prices for beaver
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone is trying to be negative towards you; more or less they are just trying to be realistic in that you might not have much luck if you are firm in trying to find a trapper who is willing to part with his/hers beavers at 7$/beaver. I would have to agree with the majority on this one as last year I was tickled pink with paying 35$ for 3 beavers for my bear bait site. Just think you may have had some more "positive" feedback had you asked if anyone was willing to sell beavers and then negotiate price, rather than demand the price you are going to pay for their beavers. Cheers
CL
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

Default bear bait

as requested here is a pic. of the bait i'm using. i know this post won't make sense to a lot of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbait.jpg (57.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 PM

I was going to go and set some beaver traps today. Even bought my first ice chisel. I decided it was too much to dig through all that ice now and figured I would wait a few weeks till she melts a bit. Definetely not worth $7 to me either. Heck I will keep it in my freezer for a year and use it for bait before I sell at that price
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

does anyone use fish for bear bait? i only ask because a person could go to the nsr tomorrow and catch lots of, say, suckers that weigh between 3-6 lbs. each. don't think there is a limit on suckers (i'll check), and it sounds (and smells) like good bait to use.
please don't flame me for this suggestion as i'm not planning on doing this but if it is legal then why not?
personally i have a lot of respect for those toothless buggers. they put up one heck of a fight.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Default beaver's

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Don't toss anything away i keep eveeryrhing,tan gides and tails,skull are cleaned and bleaxhedand beaver is one of the best if not the best bait for trapping other fur bearing animals,renewable resourse,so i renew it all,thanks Peter
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Banned

When you can't find beav for 7 I will sell you some for 15. Too much work and hides selling for 2 just drove my price up too 15.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Maybe try the guy selling beaver for $1.00 a lb in the buy/sell that should run 20-40 a beaver maybe the prices aren't so bad after all
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 PM

I'm buying, who's got beaver?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Default editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Don't toss anything away i keep eveeryrhing,tan gides and tails,skull are cleaned and bleaxhedand beaver is one of the best if not the best bait for trapping other fur bearing animals,renewable resourse,so i renew it all,thanks Peter
Well guess my typing skills suck looking at what i posted now,should read tan hides and tails,skulls are cleaned and bleached,point i was trying to make is try and utilize what i can,and that alot of work involved in getting to a bare carcass,just worth more than $ 7 dollars,IMO Peter,good bear hunting to all.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM

We sell our beaver carcasses for $12 each(or $15 if someone only wants 1 or 2), never had a problem selling them either. Sometimes you have to wait a bit, which is why its nice to have a freezer. It really gets easy to sell them after the trapping season ends. The reason is that most trapping ends on May 15(most trappers won't even go that long as the pelts get bit up pretty good by that point), and bear hunting goes until May 31 or June 15. So hold on to them for an extra week if you have a freezer, you'll get your money out of them. That being said, if you've never froze them before get an old freezer just for carcasses/fur and freeze them individually or 2 to a large garbage bag without tails. If you don't use bags, its a mess to try and separate them. Also my personal opinion, I'd throw carcasses away before selling them to an outfitter for $7 each. They are making good money, and can be respectful enough to pay the extra $3 a carcass for what its worth to a guy that's making next to nothing for the amount of effort that's put in.

Last edited by joeti7; 03-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Well I am headed out today to try and chop a hole in the ice and give it a try. I swore I wouldn't after the last sale but I have a couple days off work now and bought an ice chipper. Going to try some baited Conibears and see what happens. Got 3 huts to clean out for some landowners
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well I am headed out today to try and chop a hole in the ice and give it a try. I swore I wouldn't after the last sale but I have a couple days off work now and bought an ice chipper. Going to try some baited Conibears and see what happens. Got 3 huts to clean out for some landowners
Chainsaw with a 30" bar Nube way faster
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Chainsaw with a 30" bar Nube way faster
Yup or a gas powered auger works good to just drill a few holes side by side then use your chisel
Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM

WOW!!!!!! HAd my first Beaver experience through ice. I am still sweating
Man that sucks
So I ended up using the ice auger for the most part. I hit a few green sticks near the end of the hole so I just did most the hole with the auger and ice chiseled the rest. It worked well. I found out that I suck at finding runs and cut a pile of holes. Feedbeds were not really visible so it took a bit on the one lodge to find the deep spots vs the areas they were not using. I ended up free hanging 330's baited on the trigger and on the trap jaws with green shaved poplar and put them basically just under the ice 6 inches and it was another foot to the bottom of the mud. Hope it works. I got 3 in at one lodge and one set at another. Will see what happens by tomorrow I guess. Had fun either way.
I think I will go try another couple lodges in the next week here and try to snare a few. Plan to wire a green pole to a dead one and hang 3 or 4 snares off of it and hope that they come in and do circles around the green pole while they feed on it and get tangled in the snares. It you got suggestions for me let me know please. I will try to take some pics next time as well.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

good for you nube. sounds like you got a good workout. hope all that work pays off.
i still remember clearly checking beaver traps with my grandfather more than 50 yrs. ago. also remember him warning me not to walk in the area where stickends are protruding from ice. this is the beavers cache of trees that they eat all winter and they go back and forth so often that ice can be very thin. take care. can't wait to see your first catch.

quite honestly i don't ever remember him using "bait". just placed trap in position of run with sticks beside and maybe above and below so they had to swim trough trap.

Last edited by waterninja; 03-07-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Here's my 2 cents. This is experience talking. Beavers are by far the best bear bait out their. Once you have them coming in, you can supplement w/ alot of things. Dogfood, any meat scraps, i hear popcorn works though never tried it. As far as suckers go, and maybe this was just my bad luck, but i will never use them again. They totally ruined my baits. Sure they stunk the place up but the bears disapeared, everything disapeared. iknow it dosen't make sense, but it happened to me. On the price side, i know you weren't intentionally being insulting, but you were. Appology accepted and open your wallet, reasons already stated in thread replies.Where i live we get $30. buck bounty on tails alone, gonna hit the river hard again and will have lots of carcasses but i live north of yorkton which is a long way fr you. Good luck and always ask permission.