Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Which floating line?

If you had to use only one type of floating line on a 4 wt. rod, what would you choose? I'll be mostly fishing chironimids, leeches, beadheads...sizes 10-14. Would Rio Gold be a good choice? Thanks for the advise!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 PM

Lines are generally matched to a rod. My 4wt is considered med/fast and I fish mostly dry flies on small streams. I prefer SA lines over Rio and fish regular WF4 or textured trout line on it.

The old Rio Gold was standard weight but the new version is 1.5 wt. and may overload a medium action rod like a TFO Signature Series or Redington CT. The new Rio Grand is supposedly near a full weight heavier than what is marked on the box. Most 4 wt. rods are designed for smaller dry flies etc and the old Rio Gold would be a good choice. I have not tried the new Gold but may try it on one of my faster rods as I do like the taper. Hopefully they have fixed the durability issues I experienced in the past.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Royal wulff ambush, for ease of casting with flies you tend to use. No bucking with beadheads when casting. Very short head, about 20ft, fishes good close in or you can shoot it as far as your casting will allow.

Most dry fly lines are too thin on front taper to allow comfortable casting with heavy flies.

Airflo has some good products as well.

Not a big fan of rio, my streamer line fell apart after 2 seasons, royal wulff tt that i have since 2008 is still intact and good for couple more seasons.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 PM

I agree with the above comments... I fish a SA GPX on my 8' 3 wt (med/fast) and and a Rio Trout LT on my 7'6" 3 wt (medium). If you have a chance to try a couple of lines out on this particular rod, it will save you some $ (and frustration). If you go to a dedicated fly shop they will most likely be able to accomadate this as opposed to a big box store...
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM

I have the same question. Redington ct 4wt. What line?... After one season with the cheap Cabelas line got a feel for the rod and what I need from it. Time for better line... one that cast dry's lightly but has some weight to cast a small streamer a good distance....

Anyone try the sharkskin line? I hear is great for distance casting.. nothing else
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM

Never had a problem with rio gold, straightens out all the time, and durable too!

FOTF
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM

if you are going to be fishing chrommies more than anything I'd get the Rio Nymph taper. I think the Gold or Grand is a little to heavy and doesn't present well on 4wts or lower. my other choice would be the Rio LT
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbyro View Post
I have the same question. Redington ct 4wt. What line?... After one season with the cheap Cabelas line got a feel for the rod and what I need from it. Time for better line... one that cast dry's lightly but has some weight to cast a small streamer a good distance....

Anyone try the sharkskin line? I hear is great for distance casting.. nothing else
The CT is an awesome rod on the slow side of medium. If you what Rio line the LT Trout would work.

I was really impressed with the buckskin colored SA Textured line. It shoots like Sharkskin for distance but does not have as abrupt a taper. The textured line lifts without as much resistance off the water and roll casts very well. The noise through the guides can be a bit annoying but the performance is worth it as there is a lot less resistance from the guides. You can have 4 or 5 feet of line in the air and throw 15 or 20 feet off you hand with out even a false cast. This is perfect when obstructions limit your back cast. Be sure to get the trout taper and not the GPX taper for that rod.

The Cortland 444 lines are nicely tapered for medium/fast rods as well. They are often overlooked as yesterday's news but have always been durable and worked well for me. I am wanting to try some of their new lines as well. The reviews on other forums are very impressive.

BTW, Cabelas USA has these rods on for $79. They would be a great deal at 4 times that price.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 PM

Sharkskin line is a great product shoots well. I use it in magnum on my 8wt for pike. Only draw back is it will and I mean will cut your finger. I had a gouge so deep in my finger I didn't think it would heal. I wear a finger gauard now. Other than that it floats like a dream cast even better and pick up is very easy.