Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM

Talking Newbie Questions

Hey all, I know ice fishing is in full force now, but I have decided to start fly fishing next summer (can't get a boat, so might as well try something new). I've spent lots of hours looking at all the old threads but have a few questions, as some of them are old threads and things maybe have changed in a year.

I will be heading to the States in February, and we may be stopping in at a Cabelas on the way home (maybe an opportunity to get something cheaper). My question is this: what is a good current Rod/Reel combo to get started? I see most big stores have a few options, but not sure how fancy a person should get right off the bat. Looking like I should get a 9' 5WT from the previous reads. Now I live way up North in the Peace, so the local stores aren't much help (Edmonton would be the best bet for me), therefore getting lessons will be difficult to arrange. I will be looking at teaching myself from videos and advice from wherever I do buy my gear from.

Loving the discussions on here folks, looking forward to learning a bunch more!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:03 PM

I started with the scientific angler trout combo set up. it is a 5/6 wt 9 footer, I really liked it and I still use it after a few years. I got it as a gift but saw them for around 100$ Good value if you ask me. Pretty good instructional video came with it too. Good luck
Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Echo, TFO, Redington, and many others offer good starting setups.

If you're in heavy walleye and pike country though, I'd ditch the 5wt idea and go with a 6 or 7. Be much easier to cast the bigger streamers.

Also, Amundson offers setups through costco that have everything you need to get started for pretty cheap, and they're half decent rods.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Hi Mike,

I am in the same boat, other than I've purchased my rod.

I ultimately went with the Cabela's RLS+ Rod and Reel, ordered from the States. The reviews were extremely favorable. I ended up with a 9' 6WT. I also got an extra reel for it, and once it was all said and done, under $300 to my door. A friend just picked up a Redington starter for $240, so what I paid is certainly within the 'starting' budget of rods/reels, not including the 2nd reel.

TFO was a strong second for me. In the end, it was the looks that won me over with the RLS.

GL!

Cheers,
Jay
Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Echo, TFO, Redington, and many others offer good starting setups.

If you're in heavy walleye and pike country though, I'd ditch the 5wt idea and go with a 6 or 7. Be much easier to cast the bigger streamers.

Also, Amundson offers setups through costco that have everything you need to get started for pretty cheap, and they're half decent rods.
I 100% agree. It's better to have a 6WT and have it be a bit too much (sometimes only), rather than dealing with a 5WT and wishing it was a 6WT if dealing with pike and walleyes. I also found the local library a great starter source for books and videos, especially good to study them all during the winter before you go out. Don't ignore the advice of lawn casting before you go out either.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Great, thanks guys. I'll see what I can dig up. My wife is also interested in learning with me. We have the little smoky river only 5 miles from home, so that is where we will be trying it out the most. There is also a small stocked rainbow pond about 20 minute drive that will get some trials for sure. When I go to the big lakes, I'll be mostly using my normal spinning rod combos for the big pike and walleye.
Thanks for the help, and yes, I surely plan to cast a ton on the lawn once this 3 feet of damn snow is gone...
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Cabelas has the Redington CT on for $75 on line. This a very nice med/fast rod that would be a good deal at $250. The Classic Trout is my favorite Redington rod and is the favorite of many others as well. They discontinued it but brought it back by popular demand.

A medium or medium/fast rod is much better to learn on IMO as it allows you to feel the rod load.

Line is just as important as the rod. There is some really good deals on the Rio lines state side as well. A Rio Gold would be very nice on the CT or Rio Grand should you end up with a faster rod.

I have read some nice reviews on the cheap Cabelas' reels, but have never tried one.

If you wanted to try something different, I have read nothing but great reviews on Allen Fly Fishing. They design and make rods in the USA and overseas. My next purchase will probably be a Kraken reel from them. I may also get one of their new made in the USA rods.

The Allen ATS series gets great reviews for a starter kit. The customer service offered by the owner is impressive according to folks on the US sites.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 PM

Loop Xact starter kit is a great kit. Good performance through their rods, and their reels have the same drag systems all throughout their line up. Cant argue with that.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by French_Mike View Post
Great, thanks guys. I'll see what I can dig up. My wife is also interested in learning with me.
Fish with my girlfriend of over a year a lot now, it's wonderful. She's also an amateur photographer so I get some cool pictures of my favorite spots as a bonus.

You can find a couple of pink rods that are available for a decent price. I'm building one for my Anika, but Ross has a beginners rod that comes in pink. So does Bass Pro. If you wanna splurge a little, search Elkhorn fly fishing.

Not sure if your wife is that kind of lady, but when I show people the blank I ordered for Anika, a lot of girls suddenly get excited about fly fishing.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM

What ever you decide on make sure there is a warranty with the rod. For that $250 and up you can get a pretty bullet proof warranty. TFO Bvk are nice, Pieroway rods are good, the man reason I say those two is that they are warrantied right here in Alberta.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Personally I wouldn't get one of the packages. Usually the rods they come with aren't that good. Myself I put my money into a half decent rod and line and then buy a cheaper reel. A cheaper rod and line is going to make it very difficult to leRn how to cast properly. Line wise, scientific anglers head start line even has a bump on the line to show you where the optimum load is for the line for the most distance in your cast. And I think they're between 30-50 bucks. And then my first rod was a fenwick hmx. Fast action rod that I still use to this day
Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 PM

If you have the time you should come down to Cow town for the weekend and take the Hansons Boot Camp. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fl...ing-boot-camp/

All day lessons at there ranch on the Bow and you get to keep the rod, reel and line.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Smile My Grandfather's advice

There was a time that rods were made of bamboo, expensive and fiberglass cheap. My first was a 9' fiberglass rod with a DT silk line. The rod was so soft that I could only roll cast at short range. The rods are much better now and the advice here shows that. The line is very important. If you expect short range casting, go with a DT but I wouldn't ask these fellows what you should get.

Grand dad "careful wading will produce more fish than long casting"

He was right. I'd get a reel with exchangeable spools and two different types of floating line. Pick a colour that is easy for you to see, not green.

One tip on the casting technique, when the line is going back behind you, until you get the hang of it, turn your head so you can see the line, don't start forward until it straightens out. Have fun.

When you get to where you want to tie a few flies ask some of these fellows, they do outstanding work.