Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM

Default Looking for a One Man Boat?

Hi I am looking for a one man boat. Something easy to handle, light, something I can stand in, must also be able to take an electric motor.

I have had a tube and like them until the wind kicks up. Plus when I get in the water with me getting older I feel the rush to of nature. This shortens the length of time on the water. Paddling back to shore in a rush always looks farther away.

I have seen the pontoon boats with a frame that tilts over you with a platform in front of the seat. They seem okay but I am not crazy about the frame and how long they take to put together.

Any Ideas and experiences you have would be appreciated?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM

This spring I bought a Marlon SP10 http://www.marlonproducts.com/jon-bo...cs.asp?JonID=1. I love it stand up and cast without the tippy feeling and lots of room for the dog as well. Its on the high end of one man boats, but its really good quality and very light.

FOTF
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM

I have a little 12' sailing dingy, as far as I am concerned it is the ideal 1 man boat. It is very fast under oars or electric and with the keel down it is very stable, can stand in it all day, weighs well under 200lb. Added bonus, I never get wet or need waders and can fish till freeze up. I'll race any kayak out there under oars!!

Mine is very similar to this.
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...7&Keyword=sail boat

One word of warning, because the front is closed in they truly are a one person boat, I don't even have room for my dog.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Have you looked at kayaks?

I have the Hobie Pro Angler 12 and will never go back to a pontoon...I can stand up and fly fish and with the Mirage Drive it keeps your hands free for fishing.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

I have a 10ft Harbercraft Flyfisher (Jon boat). It is lots of boat for a solo fisherman, and can handle two 200lb guys with gear and electric motor in a decent chop (not fun, but survivable).

Standing solo is good, and with a second guy is okay as long nobody moves too fast. Being a flat bottomed boat it does side slip and wind drift like a bugger.

Nice thing is it only weighs about 70lbs so I can shoulder it by myself and I don't have to trailer it.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I have a 10ft Harbercraft Flyfisher (Jon boat). It is lots of boat for a solo fisherman, and can handle two 200lb guys with gear and electric motor in a decent chop (not fun, but survivable).

Standing solo is good, and with a second guy is okay as long nobody moves too fast. Being a flat bottomed boat it does side slip and wind drift like a bugger.

Nice thing is it only weighs about 70lbs so I can shoulder it by myself and I don't have to trailer it.
Have a 9 1/2' harbercraft fly fisher build, and it is very nice. They are a wicked lake boat for 1 person.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Then there is a Spratley.IMO the cadillac of small jon boats..They are heavy though,all welded construction..
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM

I see the Jon boats you guys have listed look interesting. I didn't know they made them that small, being a flat bottom design it would be stable.

Jkind, the kayak you show looks very interesting especially light. Being able to paddle and fish at the same time is cool. The seat configuration is intriguing as well. Only bad thing is they are pricey.

Pikergolf, I like the idea of a dingy but they are a little heavy at least for me that is. Although they are very sea worthy, I have been on rough water in a dingy surprising how stable they are.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 AM

I like the Sprately boats, but those Marlon ones look interesting as well. Bit lighter too. Anyone know the price of the 10' model?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:39 AM

I had an old town pack angler http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/s...g/pack_angler/ for a few years for solo fishing. It's a small 1 man canoe, easy to handle and load at around 35lb. I mainly fly fish and had no problems casting from it.

I rigged up an electric trolling motor on a home made mount (you can buy them to) that worked great. Fun for just going for a paddle as well, i even took it down a few rivers too.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM

I thank you all for your input. Here is anther boat that looks interesting as well.

http://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessPon...px?il=HomePage

What do you guys think of this frame-less pontoon boat?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:08 AM

If you wish to experience Chinese water torture buy a Jon boat. The constant slapping of the small waves against the flat sides will not only drive you insane but will make damn sure that no one gets within earshot for long.
Jon Boat owners are lonely people.
Inflatable boats are quiet!

Don
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
If you wish to experience Chinese water torture buy a Jon boat. The constant slapping of the small waves against the flat sides will not only drive you insane but will make damn sure that no one gets within earshot for long.

Don
Huh, I haven't noticed it being that bad in mine.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Here's what's on my wish list, probably the 10' Hopper

http://www.springcreekprams.com/
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Jkind, I am going tomorrow to look at the Hobie talked with the salesman today it sounds interesting.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM

I love my Pro Angler 12...it leaves your hands free to fish so you can make a quick hookset and not miss the fish...this was my number one reason for buying mine.

Plus there is a ton of cargo space so you can haul a full size cooler, all your tackle and rain gear...as you can see from my pic I do not travel light

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Don
All you do is turn the tunes up Don
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Don
The sound can be minimized by laying down a 1/2" rubber mat with that green indoor/outdoor carpeting on top. It tends to minimize the noise by absorbing it. The mat/carpeting combo also dampens noise made by the occupants and protects your fly line when you step on it. With this trick, I've used jon boats plenty and haven't had a problem with noise at all. I still prefer a jon boat with a small electric motor over my Fish Cat Cougar pontoon boat any day.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Here's what's on my wish list, probably the 10' Hopper

http://www.springcreekprams.com/
Here is mine set up for fly fishing. To stop the wave slap, it has two anchors and you angle slightly to the wind.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Here is mine set up for fly fishing. To stop the wave slap, it has two anchors and you angle slightly to the wind.

That friggin' rocks!

I only really have one question/concern at this time. How's the boat handle when the wind starts kickin' up Southern Alberta style?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I like the Sprately boats, but those Marlon ones look interesting as well. Bit lighter too. Anyone know the price of the 10' model?
I paid 1650$ for mine. That includes oars, oarlocks, and carpeted flooring. Marine madness around edmonton is a rep for marlon. It is a great quality boat and marine madness even delivered it to my door.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM

The Hopper II pram is not intended for big lakes, I have another boat for that. It has been out in small whitecaps but it is not pleasant, even if the fishing is good. On the small trout lakes in Alberta it is fine, in BC I have had to hide behind islands until the storm passed. A small pram should not be miles from shore in bad weather anyway. The electric motor has no trouble pushing it into a 30 kph wind.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishonthefly View Post
I paid 1650$ for mine. That includes oars, oarlocks, and carpeted flooring. Marine madness around edmonton is a rep for marlon. It is a great quality boat and marine madness even delivered it to my door.
Price I seen today was $1200 for the ten foot. It is a very light boat I picked up the front end easily around #80 I was told.

Badger, what part of the world do you reside in? Is there a dealer in Alberta?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM

My location is Calgary. No Spring Creek pram dealer in Canada. Factory direct and Jim Wheeler refuses to ship, so folks in BC drive down to pick up their boat in Tonasket. I bought mine used.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/sit...ster.html#2866
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Badger, to bad they don't ship to Canada.

Bushes, that kind of boat is not for me I want to stay out of the water if at all possible.

So far from what has been presented I have chosen these three to pick from.
One is the Hobie Pro-Angler 12, next is the Pram and the next is the frameless inflatable from Sea-Eagle.

It is getting late in the year for a boat now but at least I can save up. Hopefully in March when the Sportsman shows are on there will be other choices available.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Default Rebel Boats out of Kamloops

not sure if you're still looking or not. i fished with a gentleman one evening earlier in the year that ran a fiberglass rebel. i had never seen one before and was very impressed with this little boat.

http://www.rebelfiberglass.com/id22.htm

Dace
Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Dace, I see they are situated in Kamloops at least they are in Canada. I am still looking I have resolved that winter is coming and maybe some of these manufacturers will soon be having sales. If not then there will be incentives when the Sportsman shows arrive.

Mentioning the Sportsman shows. I especially like the one Edmonton puts on also Red Deer is very good. Calgary on the other hand has not been so good. You would think they would have an excellent show since they have one of the best fisheries around with the Bow River.

Anyway thanks for your input.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Right on. Thanks for the reply. That's not too bad at all.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
because, marine madness and sports, are fraud people. Wife and husband! they take motors on consignment, and then, they never pay money back to the people! basically, you are happy with a stolen boat!