Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Default 1 1/2 Longsprings

I am looking for some used 1.5 Longsprings. Would take up to 4 or 5 dozen depending on the price. Please send me a message if you have any.

Would obviously like them prior to spring break up.

Note: I didint want to post this on the Buy/Sell Forum as there was nothing Trapping specific.. and thought it would get lost in the "Misc" section

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Default 1-1/2 longsprings.

What on earth are you going to use them for? I have piles of old longsprings that are now useless since the trap standards came into being.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
What on earth are you going to use them for? I have piles of old longsprings that are now useless since the trap standards came into being.

If you want to sell some, get hold of Chester Sands in rocky Mountain House. He makes some good crafts from them.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post

Muskrat, might need to weighted if they dont meet the weight minimum.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 PM

What weight minimum???

or do you mean utopia amount of weight for drowning rats? I never in my life seen a weight minimum in Alberta law.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
What weight minimum???

or do you mean utopia amount of weight for drowning rats? I never in my life seen a weight minimum in Alberta law.
There is a weight in grams. I will look when I get home.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
What weight minimum???

I'm with you on this I just spent an hour trying to google something............
Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Under international standards, drowning systems for foot traps are acceptable. However I am quite certain that there is no specified criteria. There is no weight minimum.

1 1/2's drown rats just nice. 1 1/2 Stoploss even better. #1 do not, and #1 stoploss kinda marginal. 1 1/2 coils drown good but kinda serious overkill.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Unless I misread it, there is a minimum weight. I will read the trappers manual again and post it.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Under international standards, drowning systems for foot traps are acceptable. However I am quite certain that there is no specified criteria. There is no weight minimum.

1 1/2's drown rats just nice. 1 1/2 Stoploss even better. #1 do not, and #1 stoploss kinda marginal. 1 1/2 coils drown good but kinda serious overkill.
PG. 139 of the trappers manual.

If you use a anything smaller then 1 1/2 a 150g weight must be added.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Am not a trapper per say yet.. But by the criteria set the 1 1-2 would be acceptable as the minimum without a weight. Anything smaller then the 1 1/2 would be the ones requireing the weights.. Thus the hijacking of the OP's thread has thus been pointless. And unfortunately I am continueing the cycle. My appologies.. As I do not have any 1 1/2 long springs to sell.

WM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM

My point is that your "weight minimum" is not law. The trapper manual is not law. You were making it sound as though it was a fact that it was law.

So the 150 grams is a "weight suggestion" not a "weight minimum". A good suggestion.

#2 Longsprings can have a spring cut off to make a 1 1/2 in the event that you have trouble finding your 1 1/2s, G.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Drowned Rats

Northern Trapper,

The 1 1/2 has been and continues to be an excellent choice on Rat floats. With 3' of chain the rats are always drowned. In the states the 1.5 coil is popular on rats but I find the longspring much easier to set while in a canoe or in waders.

Once again I will take these unneeded old long springs from anyone that has "retired" them.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 AM

Default Sleepy Creek Traps

If you want to buy new I really like the Sleepy Creek Traps for rats. They are made in West Virginia and the quality is supurb. The pan setup is exceptional.
They also make a stoploss which works great on rafts and drowning sets and their design on it is really good and easy to work with.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Default Sleepy Creek

Thanks for the advice, I actually just bought 3 dozen of these 1.5's. Yes they sound like a good trap.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Sleeply Creek Traps

Hope they work out for you. I do not suggest any product that I do not have first hand knowledge on. They are a great trap!! And no I do not represent any supplier. Like to know your thoughts after you have received these traps and also after you have used them. In my opinion they are the best of their kind.
Dan
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Trapper Dan

I used the new Sleepy Ck traps recently, and I have mixed reviews. Overall, very sturdy trap, and well built. The issues were more with jaws too long where they come through frame, causing long spring to bind when setting. Ground of jaw ends a little to take care of this. Dog/pan's were erratic and many needed adjusting... some traps did not fire with pan fully depressed. Traps overall improved with use as well - normal for new footholds as square edges (especially jaw ends) round of a little with friction. I would buy more in future.. but know they need a little tuning up. Hope this helps.