Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Default lost fly boxes

I went to Police Outpost on June 27 and lost 8 maybe 9 fly boxes on the road in. There was construction and I forgot to close the zipper on the bag on my pontoon. I returned on June 28 to look for them and I spoke to some guys working on the road and they said they found the boxes and tied them up with orange twine and put it on the side of the road but someone had picked them up. If anyone knows who may have found them I would surely love to get them back no questions asked. I left my name and number with the campground manager at Police in hopes that whoever picked them up is looking for the owner.
If anyone knows anything would appreciate help locating them, thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:24 PM

Default lost fly boxes

I want to thank everyone for reading my post. I may never get those fly boxes back but believe in karma...about 4 years ago I dredged up a flyrod from Beaver Lake. I brought it home, cleaned it up then posted here that I found it. Not long after someone responded to my post and I found the owner, he had lost it 2 years earlier and was very happy to have it back.
I believe someone will eventually hear thru word of mouth who the owner is and I will get them back. 90% of the flies I tied and it probably took 8-10 years of tying to accumulate them. The boxes were jam packed. There is lose to 900 chironomids in 3 of the boxes that were lost so I am guessing that even if there was 200 in each of remaining 5 or 6 boxes that's about 2000 flies.
I am ever hopeful they are coming back.

Thank you again for reading this,

Joni
Old 07-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsohooked View Post
I want to thank everyone for reading my post. I may never get those fly boxes back but believe in karma...about 4 years ago I dredged up a flyrod from Beaver Lake. I brought it home, cleaned it up then posted here that I found it. Not long after someone responded to my post and I found the owner, he had lost it 2 years earlier and was very happy to have it back.
I believe someone will eventually hear thru word of mouth who the owner is and I will get them back. 90% of the flies I tied and it probably took 8-10 years of tying to accumulate them. The boxes were jam packed. There is lose to 900 chironomids in 3 of the boxes that were lost so I am guessing that even if there was 200 in each of remaining 5 or 6 boxes that's about 2000 flies.
I am ever hopeful they are coming back.wa

Joni
I sincerely hope you get your flies back. Many are not as generous or caring as you to give up a find such as this. As a suggestion....you may wish to offer up a reward as a possible incentive for someone to come forward.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Joni
Just wondering if the fly rod you found was still in good shape . How long can a rod last under water and still be of use . And nice one finding the original owner .
Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 PM

Truly hope they get returned to you. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
truly hope they get returned to you. Good luck!
x2

BW
Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 PM

Default lost fly boxes

The flyrod I found was a BVK and the reel was a lamson lightspeed reel and was in great shape. I still see the guy on occasion as it seems we have bumped into each other in the past.
I was also thinking of offering a reward but even if I offered something it wouldn't even come near to the investment put into them, perhaps someone here could make a $ suggestion?
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default A blessing in disguise...

Quote:

Joni

I think that losing a couple thousand of my flies may not be such a bad thing.

We ALL carry way too many flies on our outings. Myself, 90% of the flies I have tied will NEVER get used. If you lost about 2000 flies tied over 10 years, that's about $1000 worth of materials (give or take). Sounds like a lot, but it's only $100/year.

Also, while we all think that we will "recycle" the flies that we don't use, it's too easy just to put them aside and buy/tie new flies. That's how we end up with thousands of flies.

Over time, our tying improves and we discover the advantages of using good hooks to tie flies. Many of our early ties are on poor hooks and are tied less than perfectly. Sure, they will catch fish, but we don't use them because we have "better" ties to use.

900 chiros? Sounds like way too many to me. Although I probably carry a couple of hundred, I am SURE that I could trim that number down to around 50 and have as much success.

No, I don't think that I would be heartbroken if I lost a bunch of my flies. Having to replace the fly boxes would bother me the most.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:01 AM

Default lost fly boxes

You make a good point
Old 07-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Banned

I was also thinking of offering a reward but even if I offered something it wouldn't even come near to the investment put into them, perhaps someone here could make a $ suggestion?[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to offer a reward. All of the flyfishers that I know would willingly try to return the flies to their owner. It's just what we do.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:44 AM

Default lost fly boxes

I have decided that I won't be offering a reward. I believe in time if they are meant to be returned they will be.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 AM

I put my name and phone number on boxes, nets etc. Have had a net I lost returned that way.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I put my name and phone number on boxes, nets etc. Have had a net I lost returned that way.
I do the same, but also put a $100 bill in each fly box to give the finder incentive to return it to me.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
I do the same, but also put a $100 bill in each fly box to give the finder incentive to return it to me.
Wow, next time I see you at one of the goldfish bowl ponds you may get mugged!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Wow, next time I see you at one of the goldfish bowl ponds you may get mugged!
Sorry buddy, but I don't think you caught my attempt at humor. Too much sun maybe.