Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 AM

Default .223 amo for coyotes

Hello friends, I’m wanting to inquire what everyone recommends for amo when shooting coyotes with a .223, I am skinning after. I currently shoot the super performance varmint 53 grain.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 AM

I am hand loading & using 55 grain Nosler varmint ballistic tips with great success. Super accurate and with good placement very fur friendly.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-06-2018, 06:38 PM

I have had good results with 40gr Hornady V-Max as long as you are not too close (less than 70 yards). They usually don't exit.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 PM

In my experience Vmax bullets are not great on fur. I have had good luck with Hornady 50 gr sp. Stay away from bone and you will have great results. As for accuracy 52 gr sierras bthp seem to be good, a little less fur friendly but rarely anything crazy. Most bullet choice out of a 223 will provide sew able holes. Shoot face on called coyotes and you will have little issues with any bullet. (so long as you put it where it needs to go and don't skim their shoulders)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:01 PM

I shoot 40gr Nosler ballistic tip very fur friendly.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 PM

I normally load Speer TNT’s or Hornady SX
Dunno if the SX is still made but the TNT’s have always been great with no exits
Cat
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 PM

I really like the 45 grain Winchester shells that come 40 in a value pack. Very accurate and little damage. Also $45 for 40 shells at Canadian tire or Walmart.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 AM

52gr hpbt sierra, over 100 yds rarely exit, 50 yds broadside you will have to sew a little

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:45 PM

55 grain Nosler varmint ballistic tips.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I really like the 45 grain Winchester shells that come 40 in a value pack. Very accurate and little damage. Also $45 for 40 shells at Canadian tire or Walmart.
^^^^^This. Cheap but awesome for yotes. I have had great results with this ammo, they are hollowpoints and I rarely get an exit hole. Tiny extrance hole and very accurate in my vanguard .223. Winchester white box.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:24 AM

My uses the Winchester shells also with great results. I hand load a 52 gr Speer hollow point that works great and very fur freindly

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:46 AM
AO Sponsor

Those poor bass turds that have to skin all them kiyutes shot with that shock ammo...
Old 11-10-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
^^^^^This. Cheap but awesome for yotes. I have had great results with this ammo, they are hollowpoints and I rarely get an exit hole. Tiny extrance hole and very accurate in my vanguard .223. Winchester white box.
Gotta agree with these guys too, Winchester white box 45 grain hollow points. Very accurate for me and great performance on coyotes. Also one of the cheapest options you will find.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Gotta agree with these guys too, Winchester white box 45 grain hollow points. Very accurate for me and great performance on coyotes. Also one of the cheapest options you will find.
I have a silly question about this ammunition with it being a jacketed hollow point. Does it actually expand on impact or does it stay together in one piece?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM

They expand I would say.

I've used them for target practice and sighting in my bolt gun, a milk jug full of water has no exit hole, just tiny little fragments of lead inside the busted jug. That bullet explodes.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Those poor bass turds that have to skin all them kiyutes shot with that shock ammo...
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "shock"ammo? As someone who has seen his fair share of shot dogs what is better high explosion in the chest cavity or 2 small holes in and out?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Id shoot the smallest more explosive bullet you can find at the fastest speed possible.
From what most have said the small 204 and the 32 gr are the best for fur ive heard about
Old 11-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Banned

The other day I put a coyote up that was shot with a .243. There were two pencil sized holes in and out. I'll have to ask what type of bullet. Varmint rounds work well if you don't hit big bone and if they don't exit. I will take, and will pay a premium for, one pencil sized hole with no exit wound and two pencil sized holes all day long.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 PM

I've had good results with ballistic tips, barnes grenades were highly explosive no matter where I hit. The key is avoiding the shoulders.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "shock"ammo? As someone who has seen his fair share of shot dogs what is better high explosion in the chest cavity or 2 small holes in and out?

Two kinds of coyote shootings... callers and... "Other"
(Do note we have to generalize...)

Callers tend to be disciplined shots, most certainly having the most perfect opportunities, and the second most perfect opportunities and so on, maybe even on past the hundredth most perfect opportunities! You get my drift?

"Other" folks whack at coyotes at every opportunity, sometimes standing 100 yards or even less, but generally a non controlled style shooting opportunity whereas the caller picks the location and attempts to set up on the approach of the coyote long before the coyote has even heard the call. "Other" people take shots, potshot, other shots, and some people even stupid shots at coyotes.

The difference, precision shooting vs "other shooting"!

The caller makes a well placed shot... often. "Others" often take a very wide variety of random shots including running at (???) 35 mph, 40 mph??? Or whatever a kiyute can do.

Shot placement by a well disciplined caller with high shock ammo will lend to near perfect kills and near perfect pelts, in fact a pelt with a .224" entrance hole on the undersides centrline of the pelt where the tanner or furrier rips the pelt is still perfect, most certainly! Meaning, the most disciplined caller who wants to take the most perfect pelt will limit his shots to a face front shot and tuck the bullet in the brisket. There are things those very disciplined callers do to increase their odds at a perfect opportunity.

Smart callers will pick either the face front brisket shot, or a broadside rib thru rib shot. However, not rib thru shoulder, not rib thru vertebrae, rib thru neck, etc.

Others simply try to whack at coyotes in hopes that one will fall over dead and at the same time hope/pray that it is not all blowed up to pieces etc.

Less than perfect hits by non controlled or careful shots yield, percent-wise, a certain amount of bad exits. With violent ammo, that is a disgusting mess, please pay your master Hutterite custom skinner his $30 for the job coyote with a thankful heart that he, th poor bass poopie, will clean up the mess, and then poor Rebelato, and his buddies, buy that "high grade" but "repaired"(??????) mess of a coyote for big money only to find out that it falls to pieces and he attempts to salvage a section of the pelt or even throws it away. One more reason to not use coyotes, and switch to Finn Coon or ranch fox which are a true pleasure for furriers to work with$$$$$$$$.

They are trying to make money, not for fun.

So violent ammo when thrown about at running coyotes or coyotes beyond a shooters range, that regularly exit or hit bone such as legs, pelvis's, vertebrae and more vertebrae blow the living feces out of the pelt often.... then poor bass poop guy!

Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Twenty some years ago in Beasley territory, that was southern Alberta at the time, Calhoun Double Hollow point bullets were the rage for a short time, before all the other violent stuff showed up and became popular. The word was they blew up in the coyote, didn't come out, wonderful, however the guys that promoted them were.... callers, and masterful callers at that. Bruce Beasley's brother, Carl used to shoot a 100 coyotes off the Red Deer River breaks and did it all with the Calhoun bullet, expertly tucking every shot into the brisket, face front, making Bruce a happy man every time Carl brought coyotes.

However, the truck hunters simply made a horrible mess with the bullets
Old 11-30-2018, 06:17 AM

Sako Gamehead 55 grain soft point.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Default Calhoune

Moved to Montana and sells his 19 caliber wildcat not sure if he still makes bullets though?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Moved to Montana and sells his 19 caliber wildcat not sure if he still makes bullets though?
He's still making bullets. Got some from him recently.