Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 PM

very interesting read thanks to all of you
Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Smile Trapping Coyotes

There's a lot of good talk about the use of snares which I will have to get more knowledge of setting better, but can any one tell me if they know someone or use the J.C Conners Heavy Duty T-Bar Shock Spring on their trap chains . I am thinking of purchasing some instead of a smaller type spring . Wondering how they work . Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM

I have used snares in the past. I usually used them around bait. Still born lambs work well but you have to have a method of keeping them in place. I found that if you set up around burnt straw bales and then had one or two unburnt ones there that worked great for foxes. Once the foxes were around the occasional coyote would venture in. All of this was in southern Alberta. Since moving to Saskatchewan I have not resumed my trapping activities so things may have changed.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Default coyotes

any of you guys wanna buy 8 frozen coyotes hanging in my shead?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGLADNEY View Post
any of you guys wanna buy 8 frozen coyotes hanging in my shead?
Not sure who all here has fur buyers license.

LC
Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 PM

As I found out trying to buy raw fox, you need a fur buyers license for raw fur. You cannot advertise raw fur for sale and when I have given yotes to the hutterites in the past, they have "gifted" a pair of gloves etc. Can't buy without a license.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:48 PM

very nice... great job
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Banned

Default selling whole coyotes legally?

my neighbor has a feed lot and i see 5-10 coyotes everytime by his "buffet" he calls it,I have permission to shoot. How can I sell them legally and how much can I expect to get for them?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
my neighbor has a feed lot and i see 5-10 coyotes everytime by his "buffet" he calls it,I have permission to shoot. How can I sell them legally and how much can I expect to get for them?
You need to find someone with a fur buyer's license. I have one and buy whole dogs but I'm in Morinville. I'm pretty sure that there's a guy buying whole dogs in Bonnyville but I don't know his name. Don't expect to get a lot of money for a shot dog, maybe enough to pay for your ammo and gas. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:05 AM

Default new to trapping an fleshing

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has some advice 4 me. I'm just starting 2 get set up 2 stretching an fleshing my own hides. Where in central alberta can I go to purchase a knives? Or online I guess will work too. I know ppl say go with a cheaper knives to start with so I don't slice my hide in half lol. Any suggestions? ? Thanks k
Old 02-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has some advice 4 me. I'm just starting 2 get set up 2 stretching an fleshing my own hides. Where in central alberta can I go to purchase a knives? Or online I guess will work too. I know ppl say go with a cheaper knives to start with so I don't slice my hide in half lol. Any suggestions? ? Thanks k
Paul, pick yourself up an inexpensive paring knife for $7 and a steel to sharpen it with and keep it sharp. Except for the initial cuts, the front legs and the head, most of your skinning should be done just by pulling the pelt down. You can buy a cheap fleshing knife from Halfords for about $25.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:10 PM

Great... thanks. I been hunting 4 30 some years so I have lots of knives an I do know how to skinn stuff lol so it looks pretty easy that way. I have a GOOD little bunny knife that I will probably use. Just need to know WHERE to go to buy a fleshing knife. Thanks 4 the info Dave
Old 03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'm not a Trapper, but this was the first coyote I (managed to) save the pelt.

I made a mess of this guy, two entry holes / one 8" exit across the neck&shoulder area and one 1" exit hole / and blew 1 of his back legs off. I even managed to catch the last 3" of his tail, shot it off too !

I sewed his neck up, but initially missed the 2nd exit hole on the opposite side. It's about an inch wide hole.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned

Wow... Came to check this thread out to find a fur buyer near Calgary. Didn't realize I was the last one to post here, and almost 18 months ago !

I've got 5 (good) dogs skinned & hanging, about to process another one... 2 of them are 4ft nose-to-base of tail, everything else is over 34".