Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Maligne lake flys

Well the cold weather out there today has me thinking about the tying bench and our trip to Maligne Lake this summer. It will be my first trip there, always wanted to knock it off my bucket list and it looks like this is the year I am going to do it.
Can anyone who has been there recommend some flys to tie? I am not an expert by any means but have been tying for a few years. I very much want to bring my own ties to the lake. I have some standard trout flies made but was looking for the two or three special ones that often make the trip just that much better, something lake specific.....if that's even possible at such a beautiful spot as Maligne!!!
Anyway looking forward to trying a few proven patterns for this special place.
We will be going in mid to late June, so not sure what bugs may be in season or what hatch might be going. Any help would sure be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Big double shrimp patterns are popular there, as are Carey Specials. I've had luck in June with bead-head Pheasant tails, right in Home Bay. Bring a sinking line or at least a sink-tip.
If it's early June (1st week), be sure to phone ahead and make sure the ice is out before heading up. Dress warm!
The guys at On-Line tackle in Jasper are usually pretty good at recommendations & will know ice conditions. Support them if you can.
http://fishonlinejasper.com/store.html

Spring at Maligne - Home Bay was open - rest of the lake still frozen!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 PM

Chironomids. Chromies. Black. Maroon. Olive.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 PM

I use a Doc Spratley Green and had very good luck in 1984 and still will use when trolling sometimes.....tie up some chronimids too for still water fishing as they are feeding mostly on them if you stomach pump..

Streamers work good too // Mickey Finn /Wooley Buggers /Muddler Minnows

I will be there again this year I hope for my 35 year camping and fishing

Good Luck

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
Well the cold weather out there today has me thinking about the tying bench and our trip to Maligne Lake this summer. It will be my first trip there, always wanted to knock it off my bucket list and it looks like this is the year I am going to do it.
Can anyone who has been there recommend some flys to tie? I am not an expert by any means but have been tying for a few years. I very much want to bring my own ties to the lake. I have some standard trout flies made but was looking for the two or three special ones that often make the trip just that much better, something lake specific.....if that's even possible at such a beautiful spot as Maligne!!!
Anyway looking forward to trying a few proven patterns for this special place.
We will be going in mid to late June, so not sure what bugs may be in season or what hatch might be going. Any help would sure be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM

Default Maligne lake flys

Thanks guys for the tips. Thumper I contacted the Jasper fly shop and ordered 12 size 4 double shrimp patterns and asked if they would also include the recipe. Hope that follows protocol and etiquette.
Speckle, 35 years! Wow, you must have some fantastic tales to tell. Have you camped in Fishermans bay? If so how many batteries do you need? We are thinking of taking 2 to get there, 2 to get home and 2 or 3 in reserve?
I just discovered the chronomid secret a few years ago and have been refining the method with both floating and sink tip lines. It has saved many a day from coming home empty handed. Thanks guys for the tips on color.
Cheers
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM

BTW - the renewal proposal of Maligne Tours includes reinstating the 'Fisherman's Special' that was discontinued many years ago. This involves a limited shuttling of fisherman to/from Spirit Island, so you can fish from there with fresh batteries.
More info avail at: http://www.malignelake.com/renewal.html
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Chironomids. Chromies. Black. Maroon. Olive.
Dido! As well as what Speckle55 and Thumper have said and red Wooly Buggers work well early season. Ask On-Line for some RC Colas!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
BTW - the renewal proposal of Maligne Tours includes reinstating the 'Fisherman's Special' that was discontinued many years ago. This involves a limited shuttling of fisherman to/from Spirit Island, so you can fish from there with fresh batteries.
Im assuming shuttling wouldnt mean towing your boat correct? It would just mean dropping people off at fishermans is what i would assume. Been thinking about doing a boys trip like this for years, but renting another boat, and motor and extra battery is ridiculous. 2 guys could run your boat up to fishermans with all the necessary gear to get there. Then 2 guys could shuttle up and meet up there...

Question is... could you convince the shuttle service to allow you to bring extra batteries as well? and picking the extra guys + some gear back up on the last day at camp?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Im assuming shuttling wouldnt mean towing your boat correct? It would just mean dropping people off at fishermans is what i would assume. Been thinking about doing a boys trip like this for years, but renting another boat, and motor and extra battery is ridiculous. 2 guys could run your boat up to fishermans with all the necessary gear to get there. Then 2 guys could shuttle up and meet up there...

Question is... could you convince the shuttle service to allow you to bring extra batteries as well? and picking the extra guys + some gear back up on the last day at camp?
I was wondering the same thing??? This would be a big benefit for a group of 4. Especially in our case where the second boat and batteries are still not yet guaranteed. I have my boat and required "stuff" for this trip but the two other guys who want to join us as of yet have not secured their boat, batteries etc. Although 4 guys fishing in one 14 foot boat is not really that great either. However we could share the boat and alternate fishing times while at the camp site. But I would hope they could catch a ride back via shuttle?
Lots to consider if this goes as discussed.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 PM

Hey guys I did the Fisherman Special for many years and I even have put my 12' on top of a Cruise boat and had 2 Cat battery's and 2 R27 plus our camping gear .. that trip was for 4 nights with my girlfriend and they pick us up on day 5 at 5pm or so last boat . I think I may of paid extra for the tow

The Curly is the boat that does the Fisherman Special and they have towed my boat load down and back ...plus all theirs down there were rented ..

also they have towed their boat on a Cruise boat too and battery's/motor for day trips
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Thumper:

No Hobie Kayak? Brrrrrrrr.

Thnaks for the pix.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Default flies

Great news on the Fisherman's Special.

Back to the OP, my brother walked into Reg Denny's Edmonton fly-shop many years ago and was told: "anything with red on it". We've tried this and have had some success with 'red' flies. As other have said, double shrimps seem to produce ok., the CF Special (named after Curly Phillips, why it's called the CF and not CP Special ???), some people in hushed circles speak about the 'Strawberry Jam' is THE killer fly. Recipe or photo for this fly is not available.