Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Default fly tying unexpected issues

I recently (2 weeks) got into tying flys and it had become more then an addiction. my question is what the heck do you guys do with all your material. when my basement is done I think ill buy the cabelas tying desk and the chest top for it, but still I wont have any where near the storage. I have 2 24x24" "parts" containers with the little dividers and they are exploding. I don't mind spending a bit of money for something better...I thing with my almost daily trips to wholesale I have close to 500.00 in already...

I appreciate any ideas, and your time
Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 PM

I used to use large zip lock bags, dubbing in one necks in another etc. and I had some 10X14 plastic tray's with the little compartments for thread ect. Kept it all in a large box that I hauled up and down the stairs. now I have a pigeon hole wall unit that I built little cardboard trays for, so each group gets it own little tray.

Once you have more material than the WSS shop, you'll figure out a storage system all own. LOL

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
I recently (2 weeks) got into tying flys and it had become more then an addiction. my question is what the heck do you guys do with all your material. when my basement is done I think ill buy the cabelas tying desk and the chest top for it, but still I wont have any where near the storage. I have 2 24x24" "parts" containers with the little dividers and they are exploding. I don't mind spending a bit of money for something better...I thing with my almost daily trips to wholesale I have close to 500.00 in already...

I appreciate any ideas, and your time
All sorts of stackable bins and such out there. For a cheapo solution you can buy a couple boxes of heavy medium or large ziploc bags and staple the bottoms all together. Kind of like a Rolodex of tying materials.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
All sorts of stackable bins and such out there. For a cheapo solution you can buy a couple boxes of heavy medium or large ziploc bags and staple the bottoms all together. Kind of like a Rolodex of tying materials.
that is kind of a neat idea

I have taken over half or sectional, and the chez lounger thinger , and coffee table, good thing I have a new ice fishing tent I may have to move out too it
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

Once you get into the hobby enough, your mind will start noticing items that are being advertised that can be used for inexpensive storage facilities. Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Dollar store has all kinds of little containers and such
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 AM

Michaels has great storage bins/shelves for fly tying I find.
Until you get your desired desk/setup try there.
You can find 20-50% off coupons in the flyers that come in the paper periodically, or sign up for their email coupons online.
They also sell foam for pennies compared to fly shops... you get 100% more foam for 1/4 the price of a small piece.

Also - small tackle boxes - those clear plastic ones - are what I use for my hooks. They can hold a lot and keep them organised easily. Some guys just use plastic bags though!

Good luck, enjoy this addiction!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 AM

I bought a couple of 6 drawer versions of these drawers, not sure if they are still avail as the 6 drawer. But, they were the right height, the tying table can sit on top. between two of them, and gives you a lot of storage.

http://www.graciousliving.com/produc...ions/93070.png
Old 12-18-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I bought a couple of 6 drawer versions of these drawers, not sure if they are still avail as the 6 drawer. But, they were the right height, the tying table can sit on top. between two of them, and gives you a lot of storage.

http://www.graciousliving.com/produc...ions/93070.png
just like those...

they are great!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 AM

Smile Lets see the flys

I use those stacking drawers from Wally world and those little round cups that screw together for the hooks. The guys are right you can use anything for flys. In Alberta I have found that Elk hair is perfect for caddis and hoppers. You'll love this.

Ask how the boys keep the area clean after they clip the head on a muddler? I'd tell you if I knew.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Clip a muddler head
I use a large brown paper bag with the top rolled down about 2 to 3 inches to make the top stay open. Hold the bag gently between my legs and trim into that. Or use a small waste basket and again hold it between your knees and chop away. I use both Depends on weather I'm tying at my flytying desk upstairs or my fly tying table downstairs. It really is difficult to not get some on the floor.
BJay