Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default Help stop the closing 20 park sites and delisting 164 others

Help make a difference and check out the I Use Alberta Parks website to make your voice heard and help stop the Alberta Government from it's plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others.

Website link: https://www.iusealbertaparks.org

Background information:

The Alberta government plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others, citing low visitor numbers and savings of $5 million (which equate to $1.14 per Albertan). Once these parks are delisted they no longer have any protection and can be converted into Crown Land, which does not have the same environmental and recreational protections as parks. Once we lose our parks, they're gone forever.

​The I Use Alberta Parks campaign was launched to help stop the loss of these parks. We are a group of concerned Albertans who love the wilderness and outdoor opportunities that our beautiful province has to offer. We want to demonstrate to the Alberta government that people love and use these parks - there is no good reason to shut them down.

How can you help? You can make a difference by simply showing that you visited a provincial park in Alberta. Whether you live in Alberta or not, if you have recently used one of the sites proposed for defunding let the Alberta government know that you use Alberta Parks.

Check out the website and make your voice heard!

https://www.iusealbertaparks.org

Last edited by leo; 12-04-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM

But Coal mining can't expand if some of these parks are not abolished....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-16-2020, 11:31 AM

I feel like this an “out of sight out of mind” topic on this site. I’d be nervous if residing in AB.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 AM

Cool

I like parks as much, if not more than the next guy, but the government needs to cut back everywhere.
I can think of a lot of other places I'd prefer cutbacks, but sacrifices have to be made. We can't just spend forever.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM

From what I gather though a large number of the 164 parks are just areas of land that is just designated parks. No services, for the most part no roads. Just places for people to go and enjoy nature.

I don't understand how delisting these is going to save any money. What money is being spent on them? I am all for cutting spending, the debt is out of control, but if no money is being spent then that raises serious questions.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:36 PM

And if money is being spent on them, stop spending, but leave them designated as parks.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I like parks as much, if not more than the next guy, but the government needs to cut back everywhere.
I can think of a lot of other places I'd prefer cutbacks, but sacrifices have to be made. We can't just spend forever.
$5 mil saving per year or $1.14 per Albertan.

Probably nothing shady though.....

UCP’s pre covid deficit is larger than that of the NDP’s.

Conservative fiscal responsibility is the biggest BS myth around.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post

A deficit is based on income available. Who’s spending was higher; NDP or UCP? I’m actually curious. Since incomes are way down Pre-Covid they could cut spending and still have a higher deficit. Plus when the NDP came in and opened the spending floodgates it’s hard to immediately just shut it off.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:

A deficit is based on income available. Who’s spending was higher; NDP or UCP? I’m actually curious. Since incomes are way down Pre-Covid they could cut spending and still have a higher deficit. Plus when the NDP came in and opened the spending floodgates it’s hard to immediately just shut it off.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Stelmach and Redford were not fiscal conservatives.

Need an apples to apples comparison. Redford and Stelmach were more NDP than conservative... Redford was selfish with her lavish office plans.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-21-2020, 08:29 PM

Default unesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
Help make a difference and check out the I Use Alberta Parks website to make your voice heard and help stop the Alberta Government from it's plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others.

Website link: https://www.iusealbertaparks.org

Background information:

The Alberta government plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others, citing low visitor numbers and savings of $5 million (which equate to $1.14 per Albertan). Once these parks are delisted they no longer have any protection and can be converted into Crown Land, which does not have the same environmental and recreational protections as parks. Once we lose our parks, they're gone forever.

​The I Use Alberta Parks campaign was launched to help stop the loss of these parks. We are a group of concerned Albertans who love the wilderness and outdoor opportunities that our beautiful province has to offer. We want to demonstrate to the Alberta government that people love and use these parks - there is no good reason to shut them down.

How can you help? You can make a difference by simply showing that you visited a provincial park in Alberta. Whether you live in Alberta or not, if you have recently used one of the sites proposed for defunding let the Alberta government know that you use Alberta Parks.

Check out the website and make your voice heard!

https://www.iusealbertaparks.org
Would you rather unesco take care of ab campsites.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:28 PM

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-0c5fe99db112/
Old 07-26-2020, 09:40 AM
Suspended User

Default Where's the outrage?

Remember when these pretend outdoors people were so upset at the lack of consultation on the Bighorn Park? Boo hoo all over the place. We weren't consulted, we never had a chance on input. Almost 2 decades of research and effort had been done at that point, yet they teared up and got pouty.

Thousands of kilometers of hiking for electroshocking creeks for stats. Over a decade of work done under the PC government that was ignored; all the efforts of the biologists, the accountants, the admin staff, the volunteers, the wildlife officers, and countless others weren't listened to.
That wasn't good enough. Instead the people cried like little kids told no you may not have that candy.
Now the area in question is lined up for future destruction.

The silence is deafening. All the plans to protect land for future generations are being tossed. Hidden plans and emails revealed that they are planning to sell these parks if possible. Slowly the UCP snuck in changes that allow delisting and selling of these properties. A little a year ago, a bit more this spring.

Many complain about the foreign ownership of Canada, yet silence as our MLAs set about letting foreign ownership start to happen to our parks.

They've watched the video telling them that we(UCP) weren't planning on selling crown land. Our Ag Minister bluntly lied about it 2 weeks before it happened The Environment Minister won't answer questions about his lies. There is no response from them except for a "We told you so."

Will you wait for your camping spot to be closed? Are you ready for restrictions on bush camping in order to make Alberta Parks profitable? I hope so, I want you to cry some more.

You who are ignoring these changes, deserve to be made fun of. Not in my backyard attitudes are going to bite you hard. From logging, cattle grazing, to now coal mines.... Do you see the progression?
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM

I don’t enjoy parks. Too many city folks bringing their city to the parks.

It’s always been crown land for this guy....
Old 07-26-2020, 10:40 AM

According to UCP interal documents released this week Nixon was told by his advisors he could face backlash for lack of public consultation. One of the problems with a "one party" legislature is BS like this.

Parks aren't just for today, they are a means to ensure as the province continues to grow we have places to recreate and connect. I have never even slept in an AB formal campground over the last 25 years but I've brought a lot of kids over the years for day trips and picnics.

I offered to take on the Sheep Creek campground on the Smoky River and was even provided with a web site to register my interest. I can make it earn and churn if they can't but I haven't heard anything as of yet. I'd rather they stayed in the hands of the province.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Not so sure about that, We were at Abraham lake in the July long weekend, to me that was just disgusting, a small city in the bush blaring generators, quads, drunken idiots.
No thanks.
Fish lake was super quiet.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

I’m not singling you out on this but if wish to enjoy your crown land you really need to pay attention to this. As WB said previously, the crown lands are going to be pilfered extremely hard in the next several years. First by logging, then oil and gas along with coal mines. They’re already working on Cabin Ridge in the Oldman region. Every outdoors person needs to bang the drum on this.

Tags
alberta parks, camping, fishing, fly fishing, hunting