Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Banned

Default 97 Chev 6.5 Diesel issues

Looks like my injector drive module is fubared. Ive heard you can find a cheaper one than the 500 bucks United Diesel wants for it. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Ebay and the internet are your friend, also Id look at getting on one of the online chevy diesel forums, lots of help to be found in those vehicle specific forums.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Default Pdm

Are you talking about your PDM ??? If so i had the same problem and fixed it fairly cheap..Give me a few moments and I will send you some info....
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Do you mean the PMD (Pump mounted Drive?) If so, this website is what I used. Great service - the guy (Walt) is extremely knowledgable.

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/

They sell a PMD with a heatsink attachment. I installed it and the truck ran like a top for two years until I sold it. There is a serious design flaw with that engine and the PMD being mounted too close to the engine bay....

Another good website is

http://www.heathdiesel.com/

They advocate to relocate the PMD to get it completely out of the engine bay.

Both these solutions are good bets. If you replace the PMD back in the original spot with no heatsink, you're asking for trouble again.

Stanadyne is the OEM part but D-Tech makes a replacement PMD that is cheaper but only warrantied for 50K.

Last edited by Spidey; 09-13-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Pmd

www.edam-online.com These guys are great and cheap..Great service....Fixed my truck no problem...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Just curious, what are your symptoms? A cheaper, less invasive trial is to replace the oil pressure switch and fuel pump driver on the frame (both $50 DIY fixes.)

Sometimes even an old fuel filter can also cause similar symptoms.

Last edited by Spidey; 09-13-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Edam is who I used.
Great service, and much cheaper than GM. The NEW aftermarket pmd with 1 year warranty and harness is 219.95 + taxes and shipping is 25$
Danny Gamache
eDAM inc.
eDAM World
E-mail Address(es):
kingtires@msn.com

Get it off the motor and use a heat sink. The one I had would acelerate on it's own. I had the heat sink already but it was on the manifold. Still to hot there so now it is behiind the left batery..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Default yup

Edam X2
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Whatsa heatsink?

I got one fron north american powertrain for $400 and spent all morning putting it in. Its been relocated, but only to the top of the motor so prolly still too hot
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM

A heat sink is a fined plate that you mount the PMD to. It disapates the heat. When it is on top of the motor, {Intake Manifold} it colects heat after the motor is shut off . Move it away from the motor. Some mount it in the front bumper or in the cab.I put mine behind the left battery. It is a good Idea to have a used spare PMD in the glove box or mounted on the heat sink if it is big enough..
Old 09-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Banned

Ah ok. Ive already got a heatsink then. Its mounted right on the top of th motor. Sounds like I oughtta move it. A guy should be able to just splice and lengthen the wires eh?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 PM

edam sells an extension wire. Did you mount the pmd to the heatsink yourself or was it premounted? If not premounted, then hopefully you shot some heatsink compound between the sink and pmd (the compound is the same kind of stuff used for CPUs in computers)

Some people say the motor mounted PMD/heasink solution is sufficient but for piece of mind I ran mine to behind the front license plate with the edam extension.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 PM

Went through all this a while ago, but I can't find the thread. Notorious 6.5 diesel problem. My cure was to leave the old module in place, get an extension cable and relocate the new module with heat sink, in the front bumper, like Spidey mentioned . With internet, after market parts cost, the price was well below 200. bucks.

Grizz