Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Default For those who want a hunting dog... do your homework

Lots of talk on the forum about Lab breeders and those who want to buy a pup. I didn't want to hijack an existing thread, so I thought I'd start my own. I'm no expert on labs - just got my first - but I have had many hunting dogs, some who have won large stakes south of the border back in the 80s. Last year, as some of you may recall, I bought a supposedly finished GWP according to the dog's "pro trainer". Long story short, not all who take money for training are pros, but more importantly, it was my fault for not doing my homework. If no one has ever heard of a pro there is likely a reason. After many tears, the dog went to a new home because he was never going to be what I wanted him to be or what he was represented as. Live and learn.

After really giving thought to what and how I like hunting, as well as seeing Pixelshooter's wonderful dog Boo in action, I decided on a lab. After lots of talk and inquiries, I placed a deposit on a pup from a fairly large breeder. After reading a few stories about health issues, I decided to go in a different direction. I ended up spending over double what I was intending to spend, but after getting the pup, I am happy I did. I went with some people whose lives revolve around field trials and breed a few litters each year. The dog has a very good pedigree, which to me was not a guarantee, but a pretty solid indicator that I would get a dog with the inherent ability to do what I want.

To all those looking for a dog, if you are looking for a hunting dog, buy the breeding. Talk to many people starting with people in dog clubs. Do your research.

I am not going to even list the name of the breeder I ended up buying from, as that often comes off sounding like "I have the best" which I despise, as there are lots of great breeders, though I'd be happy to answer a pm. I will say that there are two I didn't buy a dog from, but many, many people recommended them, and I would have been just as happy buying from them. They are AJ Top Kennels in Quebec and Razor Labs in Manitoba. Also, talk to people in a dog club to see if they know of any good litters from individuals looking to better the breed, not earn a living.

As a friend of mine kept telling me, you will never regret the money you spend on great bloodlines. Take that advice from someone who learned his lesson the hard way.

Be warned.

Best of luck.

Last edited by sns2; 05-16-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 AM

Having witnessed the GWP you owned in action several times, I was surprised at the rave reviews that you were given for the breeder. The dog was well trained and obedient, but his temperament was so different from my own dog, which is basically the same breed. I could see your frustration with the dog, and I was not at all surprised to see you sell him. Having been in the field with many different dogs as a gunner with our NAVHDA chapter, it soon becomes obvious that there is a huge difference in dogs, even dogs owned and trained by the same people, but from different bloodlines. I didn't know much about bloodlines when I first started out looking for a pup, so I chose a breeder that had all positive reviews, and no negative reviews over several litters. I was fortunate enough to end up with a dog that has a great temperament, and that learns quick, so despite my shortcomings as a trainer, he has become an effective hunting dog, as well as a dog that is mild mannered and not at all destructive in my home. I fully agree with your advise to carefully research both the breeder and the bloodline, to avoid as many potential issues as possible, regardless of the breed you choose.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 AM

Good advice. Same goes for all breeds of bird dogs. Do your homework and buy from kennels who look to better the breed.