Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Default Shed Antlers - Score?

So, what do you fellas think these babies will score?

Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 PM
Banned

If say 220-230 Great find
Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Lots......
Old 05-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Holy crapola...that's one heck of a find!
Well over 200 for sure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Amazing set ... doubt the score will be as impressive as the antlers tho...
Old 05-05-2018, 05:53 PM

WOW! Amazing...has to have 60 inches of mass alone
Old 05-05-2018, 06:31 PM

I'll say 230-240
Old 05-05-2018, 06:38 PM

220 ish for sure....more ???

What's the story Tatonka, gotta be one and he still romes the earth??
Old 05-05-2018, 07:38 PM

Please do not take this wrong, but are they farmed?

They are beauties tho. 240's.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 PM

Did you ever see him before you found the sheds?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:56 PM

235” and from a pen.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Wow, 240 ish, what the story, where are they from, amazing buck? Thanks for the share!

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 05-05-2018, 11:41 PM

Default sheds

240s plus
Old 05-06-2018, 12:31 AM

They ain't from a pen guys. They at least a year probably 2 old. Who in their right mind would sit and watch a set like that grow moss on them. Probably lived in someone's back yard. Beautiful set. That's what sheez all about right there.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 AM

OK..... A couple of you guys got me.. Time to fess up. Here's the story. We have a guy around here who is a total jerk. He's one of those guys who seems to take great pleasure in patrolling his property and running people off during hunting season. I think it's his hobby. He obviously has every right when it comes to access to his land. I understand and respect that, but this guy goes above and beyond when it comes to property rights. He doesn't maintain his fences, he fights with his neighbors, etc. etc. To put it in a nutshell, a bunch of guys from the County Road Crew Dept. were having a few beers one night and somehow or another they got on the topic of who would have the fewest people at their funeral if they died. Guess who they decided on? Enough said..

Anyway, I got to thinking about how this jerk would react if word got out that someone sneaked into his place and found a huge set of sheds. So, I went on ebay and "Picked up" this huge set of antlers and then I let word slip out that I found them on this guy's place. I'm sure he's heard by now and I'm guessing he's ranting and raving. So far he hasn't confronted me on it, but it's just a matter of time. I know, I'm terrible..

The antlers: Yes they came from a deer farm, but I don't know where. As far as score goes, for what it's worth they score 250 1/8". I just did some remodeling and turned our old porch into what guys call a "Man Cave" these days. I'll have the antlers in there for a conversation piece for a while and then I'll probably sell them.

By the way, here are two euro mounts I have in my room...and yes, these two I did kill around here.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
OK..... A couple of you guys got me.. Time to fess up. Here's the story. We have a guy around here who is a total jerk. He's one of those guys who seems to take great pleasure in patrolling his property and running people off during hunting season. I think it's his hobby. He obviously has every right when it comes to access to his land. I understand and respect that, but this guy goes above and beyond when it comes to property rights. He doesn't maintain his fences, he fights with his neighbors, etc. etc. To put it in a nutshell, a bunch of guys from the County Road Crew Dept. were having a few beers one night and somehow or another they got on the topic of who would have the fewest people at their funeral if they died. Guess who they decided on? Enough said..

Anyway, I got to thinking about how this jerk would react if word got out that someone sneaked into his place and found a huge set of sheds. So, I went on ebay and "Picked up" this huge set of antlers and then I let word slip out that I found them on this guy's place. I'm sure he's heard by now and I'm guessing he's ranting and raving. So far he hasn't confronted me on it, but it's just a matter of time. I know, I'm terrible..

The antlers: Yes they came from a deer farm, but I don't know where. As far as score goes, for what it's worth they score 250 1/8". I just did some remodeling and turned our old porch into what guys call a "Man Cave" these days. I'll have the antlers in there for a conversation piece for a while and then I'll probably sell them.

By the way, here are two euro mounts I have in my room...and yes, these two I did kill around here.

That is lame
Old 05-06-2018, 09:07 AM

You have stirred the pot real well in your neck of the woods....

Old 05-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Well we would find out how many people would show up at your funeral if you pulled something like that on the wrong guy lol
Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
Well we would find out how many people would show up at your funeral if you pulled something like that on the wrong guy lol
I would just to claim the shed antlers

Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 AM

To better understand, I grew up with a Dad, Uncles, Neighbors, etc. who were pranksters to the "nth" degree. You had to be on guard because you never knew what someone might pull next.. It was all in good fun, of course. One night my Dad was playing cards with a good friend and they were kind of bored I guess. So they let Zeb's pigs out (Zeb farmed next to us). Then they went to the house and told Zeb his pigs were out and helped him chase them around and get them back in the pen. They had so much fun they did it a couple more times and then finally told Zeb what they'd been doing...

We had a neighbor who was known to spotlight deer. In Vermont it's called "Jacking Deer". The game warden couldn't catch the guy, but one day we got the bright idea to cut a deer out of cardboard. We did a pretty good job drawing it and cutting it out and then we put those reflectors you see on guardrails for it's eyes so that when a spotlight hit it, it would look like a real deer. We set it out right before dark and left it. The next day we went to check it and there was a bullet hole right through the boiler room. Now the guy never did get caught, but I bet after he shot and the deer didn't move he was crapping his pants!

So, pulling pranks is in my genes.... I just can't help myself.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Lol

I think you have a hobby as well...
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Is that 250 1/8 net or gross?
FWIW....I don't put too much emphasis on net scores,I'm all about the gross....if he grew it,I count it! 😜
Old 05-12-2018, 10:16 AM

We have similar jerks up here that fit your neighbors description to a tee. The only difference is they take time off patrol if they never managed to drop anything prior to opening day.

They are also good for asking permission and accessing others land repeatedly for water fowl and general white tail year after year, then denying others access for draw species just prior to opening day when they agreed to access 5+ month prior.

What comes around goes around.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
We have similar jerks up here that fit your neighbors description to a tee. The only difference is they take time off patrol if they never managed to drop anything prior to opening day.

They are also good for asking permission and accessing others land repeatedly for water fowl and general white tail year after year, then denying others access for draw species just prior to opening day when they agreed to access 5+ month prior.

What comes around goes around.
You know, I'm reluctant to post anything negative about anybody... That's just not who I am or how I do things. Of all the landowners I've asked permission over the years the vast majority are absolutely wonderful.... I'm not saying they all grant permission by any means, but when they deny permission they are very cordial and polite, which I really appreciate. I don't know about others, but it's very hard for me to call or knock on someone's door to ask permission to hunt. I do it because hunting is such a big part of me, but I don't like doing it. So, when someone takes great joy in shooting down people who ask to hunt, patrol their property border solely for the enjoyment of running people off, etc. well......it kind of irks me. And by the way, this particular guy has no fence marking the southern boundary to his property... It's an imaginary line between his place and a guy who lets people hunt, so it's hard to know exactly where you're at. I know because I've hunted there for nearly 40 years, but most people don't...
Old 05-13-2018, 02:25 PM

Off the topic a bit Tatonka but my brother was down your way last week and some people told him you had a bad antelope winter kill. Hope it isn't true but I know you had a lot of snow. Can you confirm or disprove? Good job with the rack. Wonder how long until he confronts you.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Off the topic a bit Tatonka but my brother was down your way last week and some people told him you had a bad antelope winter kill. Hope it isn't true but I know you had a lot of snow. Can you confirm or disprove? Good job with the rack. Wonder how long until he confronts you.
I can't confirm it one way or the other as I haven't been out and about much lately, but with the winter we had I'd be surprised if we didn't lose a lot. I know people looking for sheds have found a lot of dead deer. This was the worst winter I can recall in the 38 years we've been here... It was long and brutal.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Is that 250 1/8 net or gross?
FWIW....I don't put too much emphasis on net scores,I'm all about the gross....if he grew it,I count it! 😜
That is the gross estimated score.... 250 5/8 actually. While these are from a deer farm it goes to show what a deer can produce with the right genetics, nutrition and age. What's amazing to me is that there have been many free ranging bucks killed over the years that are larger than this.