Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 AM

Default 17 Hornet~first hunting report!

So, before my first hunt with the CZ527 Varmint on Saturday, I had one test shoot..and one range trip (load testing) under my belt. In the wake of the range trip, I had worked-up several loads to refine things..but bad weather and a lack of free time prevented me from testing them. Having gotten sub-MOA results from the Hornady factory ammo (20gr) from the test shoot..I decided to bring some of that along, and do a rough sight-in before the hunt. While it can do better, I got it shooting under 3/4" @ 100 yards...so good enough for a day of groundhog hunting! They're pretty robust varmints, so target size would likely not be an issue. Funny note~the turkeys in this part of Ontario are everywhere, and they were some in the field behind me while sighting in. After each shot, you'd hear them sounding off..and every time..they sounded even closer. Agitated by the rifle's report, but not enough to put them off of the mating game. lol

Here is the CZ, ready to start the day!

While I'd seen a number of groundhogs on my way to the farms I have access to, there weren't many to be found when I got down to glassing the fields. Started to wonder if I'd cleaned them out pretty good in previous years...so I slowed-down, and decided to visit every farm in the area that I had permission to be on. In the back of my mind...I was still wondering how the 17 Hornet would do on these big ground squirrels...and if I had to reach out, would my bipod/prone sight in be good enough...would the bullet have enough punch, etc. Well, in the last couple of hours of hunting..I managed 3, the last photo of one at a ranged 178 yards. I wondered if I'd even got that one, it's head just dropped...no movement otherwise. Soon became obvious that it wasn't just napping. So, in my opinion..I think that's kind of impressive for such a light bullet, and only a Hornet-case-sized charge. Maybe it's just how this caliber is, but being my first day hunting with it (and only 17HMR to compare .17 cal. experience with)..it was an eye-opener for sure.

The 527 feels like an easy rifle to shoot well, but I literally have thousands of rounds through my CZ 452 and BRNO 2E, so not exactly an unfamiliar shooting experience. Still, bullets went exactly where they should have each time..which was reassuring for a gun's first trip to the field.

Not sure if I'll have time to get out with it again before heading out to your glorious province looking for gophers...but I'll update this thread with future hunt photos/details if anyone is interested.

Thanks for reading,
Rob

The 178 yard sleeper...

Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM

We don't have hog's out west but lots of gophers. I shoot 25gr. V-max out of mine (CZ).. Zero walking wounded, better trajectory, fights the wind a bit better then either the 15.5 or 20gr. pills.

I have shot a couple of coyotes at 175yds and 25yds (older pups 25# or so) with the 20 grain factory rounds and they work very well. IF I were shooting only factory stuff then 20 gr. is the ticket..Reloads 25gr. only.

Buy a single shot follower from James Calhoon about a 100 bucks but well worth the money...enjoy the rifle...it is a great rifle/caliber combo.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
We don't have hog's out west but lots of gophers. I shoot 25gr. V-max out of mine (CZ).. Zero walking wounded, better trajectory, fights the wind a bit better then either the 15.5 or 20gr. pills.

I have shot a couple of coyotes at 175yds and 25yds (older pups 25# or so) with the 20 grain factory rounds and they work very well. IF I were shooting only factory stuff then 20 gr. is the ticket..Reloads 25gr. only.

Buy a single shot follower from James Calhoon about a 100 bucks but well worth the money...enjoy the rifle...it is a great rifle/caliber combo.
Hey 6.5~I did buy one of those from James Calhoon, at someone's suggestion here. Beautiful pc. for sure. I only tried it a few times, but didn't find the rounds fed smoothly from it. The bolt would begin to push the round forward but then it seems like the angle is too severe...and the tip of the bullet partially jams before it enters the chamber. Tried a slower bolt travel, a faster one, various "start" points on the adapter itself (fore/aft)..doesn't seem to make a difference.

As for the loads~I worked-up some 25gr. loads, a pretty wide selection actually. (data is at home, I'm not) Barely held 1" @ 100 yards. 20gr shot best from my factory ammo too, so I focussed on that for the hand loads. No disappointment so far, but I also don't have coyote plans for this rifle.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey 6.5~I did buy one of those from James Calhoon, at someone's suggestion here. Beautiful pc. for sure. I only tried it a few times, but didn't find the rounds fed smoothly from it. The bolt would begin to push the round forward but then it seems like the angle is too severe...and the tip of the bullet partially jams before it enters the chamber. Tried a slower bolt travel, a faster one, various "start" points on the adapter itself (fore/aft)..doesn't seem to make a difference.

As for the loads~I worked-up some 25gr. loads, a pretty wide selection actually. (data is at home, I'm not) Barely held 1" @ 100 yards. 20gr shot best from my factory ammo too, so I focussed on that for the hand loads. No disappointment so far, but I also don't have coyote plans for this rifle.
Sorry to hear about the single shot adaper mine works very well...I have hear if your extractor claw is a bit tight that that can give you troubles...email James and ask him he will help you out if he can...

My hand loads are a bit more accurate but I agree factory stuff is very good as well...till I see the price.. then .35- .40 cents reloads makes cents to me.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM

I killed a yote at 285 yards with the 20 gr factory round. One shot kill. It's a potent cartridge. I think it's the design of the bullet with it being so frangible.

Do groundhogs make good eating?? Some have said that gophers make good eating...
Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the single shot adaper mine works very well...I have hear if your extractor claw is a bit tight that that can give you troubles...email James and ask him he will help you out if he can...

My hand loads are a bit more accurate but I agree factory stuff is very good as well...till I see the price.. then .35- .40 cents reloads makes cents to me.
I may do that..thanks. James was superb to deal with...but I actually feel a bit disappointed with it. Hard to describe, but it just doesn't function well. As for hand loads~I agree 100%. I have a couple of loads under 1/2 MOA but what's odd...is that the 2 charges are a few grains apart. So, I've refined both to see if I can squeeze just a little more accuracy out of it. I'd be fine if I couldn't...I consider those results pretty good as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I killed a yote at 285 yards with the 20 gr factory round. One shot kill. It's a potent cartridge. I think it's the design of the bullet with it being so frangible.

Do groundhogs make good eating?? Some have said that gophers make good eating...
I've heard guys joke about gophers...but even as a traveling gopher shooter, I've probably shot more than most people here in Ontario would believe. lol Smelly bas***ds...that's for sure! Groundhogs~no, I've never eaten one, but have heard they're OK. Some of the (very) old farmers I've talked to told me they were once pretty popular, and that many rural folks ate them during the depression. One farmer told me his dad said that they made the best gravy.

I have one buddy who shot one with a .22 last year while walking through the woods. Was shocked to see it in that environment, and always wanted to try to eat one. I heard he got it, heard he dressed it, but I only asked once if he ate it yet..."no" was the answer.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Thanks for posting, nice spring day, and good first day out, with one of the finest small game rifles and calibers', readily available.
quite nice wood on that rifle.

Last edited by southernman; 05-10-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:

The issue with the single shot feed is most likely a real easy fix. If you lived nearby I would get you to bring it over to be adjusted. I use them in 22 Hornet, 17 FB, 204 and 223 and all feed perfect after a little minor fitting.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
We don't have hog's out west :( but lots of gophers. I shoot 25gr. V-max out of mine (CZ).. Zero walking wounded, better trajectory, fights the wind a bit better then either the 15.5 or 20gr. pills.

Actually we do have them. I've shot a few myself.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-10-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Where? I am climbing in your back pocket...
Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Parkland to the foothills. I shot one up near Fort Mac. another by Caroline and a third near Wetaskiwin. I've seen a dozen or so others. The rifle range at Fort Mac used to have a few resident woodchucks when I was there (none of them downrange obviously).

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Parkland to the foothills. I shot one up near Fort Mac. another by Caroline and a third near Wetaskiwin. I've seen a dozen or so others. The rifle range at Fort Mac used to have a few resident woodchucks when I was there (none of them downrange obviously).
Some people speculated that the groundhogs at the range arrived with a load of clay targets from Ontario.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I've also seen them in the area between Whitecourt and Fox Creek. It's been a few years since I was up there though.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well, if any of you guys ever make it to Ontario...message me. I'd be happy to show you where to go...or if I'm able, take you myself. If a line forms for this offer..the first spot goes to the 1 fellow kind enough to share his gopher spots with me a couple of years ago. Because of him, I'm able to try and build a trip around shooting gophers in Alberta. I'll be there very soon to do just that.

In terms of groundhog numbers here~best day I ever had was 16, my nephew and I both on them. That # could have been closer to 20, but we deliberately left a few. Once we were over 10...the next 6 were just unbelievable to find...so we knew we had it a little too good.

An average day is maybe 3-5...depends how driven you are. Can take allot of hours, allot of walking, or both. I'm getting a bit lazy in recent years..so the hunts are a little shorter, especially if I'm on my own. The trout fishing in that area isn't half bad either, so sometimes the fly rod comes along.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The issue with the single shot feed is most likely a real easy fix. If you lived nearby I would get you to bring it over to be adjusted. I use them in 22 Hornet, 17 FB, 204 and 223 and all feed perfect after a little minor fitting.
Hey Dean~I think I might know what you're thinking of...because the SSA didn't seat fully at all when I got it. I called James, he told me how to remedy that. (magazine catch) Got it sorted out in about 30 minutes..so I know the thing is seated right.

If there is anything else I should know, fire away!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Hey Dean~I think I might know what you're thinking of...because the SSA didn't seat fully at all when I got it. I called James, he told me how to remedy that. (magazine catch) Got it sorted out in about 30 minutes..so I know the thing is seated right.

If there is anything else I should know, fire away!
Getting it fully and properly seated so it locks in place and the front of the follower is far enough up in the well is the single biggest part of getting the round to feed smoothly from the insert. The next issue is does the bolt cam over and close smoothly. If it is a little rough that usually is the extractor and it is just a matter of Polishing the back side of the extractor so it is real smooth, and ensuring the sharp edge of the extract does not have any dents or teeth like indentations. It should be sharp and smooth like a good knife edge, though not razor sharp.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yup, we have them at our gun range from time to time, they like to live under the Sea can we keep our range equipment in. Not real common but see them occasionally, not enough around to go on a dedicated hunt for them.