Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Post How do you get a power engineering job

Hello again folks,

Well the proverbial has finally hit the fan. Got laid off from my security job last month, and no offers of a power engineer/operator job, probably applied to close to 1000 jobs, literally every single job advertised on Indeed the past two years. I have applied in AB, BC, SK for all operator jobs (plants and buildings). Spent $5000 for the SAIT lab course, have my 4th class ticket (currently taking my 3rd class) and also have my red seal millwright ticket.

Does anyone in the trade see their companies hiring new operators, or are they cutting back? Also curious how you folks got your start in the industry, did you have an 'in' and is that pretty much the only way to get a start in the trade? Getting really desperate here

Any help/advice/info/feedback is much appreciated. I really wish there was a specific union for power engineers to help newbies like me with no contacts in the industry.

Thank you
Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM

My good friend and guitar player is as high up as they come in the PE field. Hes also the.union president..... so sorry to tell you. It doesnt look good for a.while yet according to him.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Id spend time and money upgrading other opportunities right now not in the Power engineering side of things. Maybe try and start a new job in another field for a while. Things are going to be years and years before it turns around. Tons of guys looking in this field of things. My bro in Law is in the same boat and it is real ugly hate to tell you
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM

Try http://enerkem.com/

Senior engineers/operators heading to Montreal for new startup. Vacancies will need to be filled in Edmontons waste processing plant.
Good luck.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Where are you located?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Where are you located?
Hi fallen1817,

I am located in Calgary, but willing to relocate anywhere, have applied in AB, BC and SK, but nothing yet,
thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
My good friend and guitar player is as high up as they come in the PE field. Hes also the.union president..... so sorry to tell you. It doesnt look good for a.while yet according to him.
That unfortunately seems to be the trend right now mooseknuckle
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Id spend time and money upgrading other opportunities right now not in the Power engineering side of things. Maybe try and start a new job in another field for a while. Things are going to be years and years before it turns around. Tons of guys looking in this field of things. My bro in Law is in the same boat and it is real ugly hate to tell you
Thanks nube, I am looking at other fields too, just really trying to get into the power engineering field, as I have invested $10,000 so far, don't want to throw in the towel just yet!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Try http://enerkem.com/

Senior engineers/operators heading to Montreal for new startup. Vacancies will need to be filled in Edmontons waste processing plant.
Good luck.
Thanks lmtada, do you know the name of the plant in Edmonton? I would be willing to relocate there if I am offered a position.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 PM

https://www.airswift.com/job/field-o...hristina-lake/

I know at plants nearby they hired contractors with 8 months experience.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011laramie View Post
https://www.airswift.com/job/field-o...hristina-lake/

I know at plants nearby they hired contractors with 8 months experience.
Thank you very much for your reply 2011laramie. I have applied there but not heard anything back yet, hopefully may get a call back too.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Squeaky wheel gets the grease....
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 PM

http://vitalus.com/en/careers/

Looking for a dual ticket millwright and 4th class.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 PM

You might consider applying with the various public school boards. Some of their big buildings have systems that require 4th class operators. The dual ticket would be good too. Not the big money of oil and gas but once you're in its union and secure. Places like Edmonton or Calgary probably have at least 400 school buildings. Some buildings to 100K sq. ft.. A pretty good environment to work in and home every night.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power engineer 76 View Post
Thanks nube, I am looking at other fields too, just really trying to get into the power engineering field, as I have invested $10,000 so far, don't want to throw in the towel just yet!
That's not too bad.... I invested $50,000 into a BSc Ecology, and never got a job using it.... Still paying off my loans though! Ended up turning my University summer welder helper job into a career. Got my welding ticket, became an instructor, and now have my own office at a 9-10 figure company as QC, in less than 5 years.... Not where I ever saw myself, but life has it's own ways.... Education is never a waste. I don't use most of what I learned, but I know a lot. It gives a great advantage, so I don't really regret that I'm not in the field I originally chose. It still helps me in my new career

Last edited by bloopbloob; 07-17-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Good point on the over populated 4th class. Get another one doesn't hurt. Compression millwright was my choice, should have done from the beggining...hind sight being what it is
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Thank you again 2011laramie. Do you use indeed as your main site for jobs, or other ones too?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
You might consider applying with the various public school boards. Some of their big buildings have systems that require 4th class operators. The dual ticket would be good too. Not the big money of oil and gas but once you're in its union and secure. Places like Edmonton or Calgary probably have at least 400 school buildings. Some buildings to 100K sq. ft.. A pretty good environment to work in and home every night.
Thank you for your advice Red Bullets. I never thought of schools, I have applied for plenty of building operator positions for mainly high rises and hotels, but most of them ask for 2 years experience, a few are entry level too.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
That's not too bad.... I invested $50,000 into a BSc Ecology, and never got a job using it.... Still paying off my loans though! Ended up turning my University summer welder helper job into a career. Got my welding ticket, became an instructor, and now have my own office at a 9-10 figure company as QC, in less than 5 years.... Not where I ever saw myself, but life has it's own ways.... Education is never a waste. I don't use most of what I learned, but I know a lot. It gives a great advantage, so I don't really regret that I'm not in the field I originally chose. It still helps me in my new career
Thanks bloopbloob...I also did my BA in Tourism and only had a very short career in it, finally paid off all my loans after 6 years! You are right, education always helps, and is something that stays with you for life. Glad it worked out for you in the end, even if it was not the path you predicted!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 AM

These days you should have no problem getting a millwright position, I am seeing positions advertised on a regular basis.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:23 PM

i'm sure you've probably already applied but just in case

https://nov.taleo.net/careersection/...0&src=JB-10520
Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
i'm sure you've probably already applied but just in case

https://nov.taleo.net/careersection/...0&src=JB-10520
Thank you kindly KyleSS
Old 07-19-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
These days you should have no problem getting a millwright position, I am seeing positions advertised on a regular basis.
Thanks elkhunter11, I have applied for every millwright position advertised and not had a single reply yet. Unfortunately, like the power engineer field, it is saturated with so many of us looking for work right now, that I think they choose the applicants with the most experience.
I also see the same positions advertised by the same companies, so I think some of them aren't actually hiring, but maybe just collecting resumes for future positions, not really sure, but could be possible.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I have applied for every millwright position advertised and not had a single reply yet.
No disrespect intended but perhaps your Resume is trash and isn't making it through the once over, maybe a resume writing workshop may be in order.

I only say this as you have stated you have sent out a 1000 of resumes with out a successful result.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
No disrespect intended but perhaps your Resume is trash and isn't making it through the once over, maybe a resume writing workshop may be in order.

I only say this as you have stated you have sent out a 1000 of resumes with out a successful result.
No worries Jayhad, I was starting to think the same thing My SAIT instructor helped me with my resume, he was previously a hiring manager, so has seen tons of resumes. I just think it a sign of the times, especially as I don't have any connections, people with an in have a much better chance. I think recruiters use certain key words when they search resumes, but I am not really sure how it works.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

I sent you a pm on few leads
Old 07-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
No worries Jayhad, I was starting to think the same thing My SAIT instructor helped me with my resume, he was previously a hiring manager, so has seen tons of resumes. I just think it a sign of the times, especially as I don't have any connections, people with an in have a much better chance. I think recruiters use certain key words when they search resumes, but I am not really sure how it works.
Get it printed in a really frilly pink coloured font. It will get looked at for sure. Maybe do a scratch'n'sniff area on it to let your potential employer know what you smell like. Seriously though it has to stand out. Try a $50 bill, or Flames tickets. (Just kidding, that would get you fired before you even start.) How about a pop-up resume?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 PM

Couple companies in edson are looking for millwright apprentices. One in Drayton valley. I don't believe for a minute that you can't find a job in this field. But if your lookimg for city shop work then of course its slim pickings. It is off the rails out here as far as work and hours go. If you know how to handle a wrench, getting up at 530 and working in the bush 14 hours a day you will have a job.

Cdmc
Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 AM

Not always having an "in" will get you in either.
My son also has his 4th and spent $4k on steam lab too.
I'm in the industry and I can't get him a sniff either, so he will have to do it on his own.
He is doing ok in the Safety side of things, he makes $240 per day, he is in the same plants as the operators.
I told him to make his own contacts and go from there.
He will be ok, he's 20. You will be ok too.
Good luck.

TBark
Old 07-20-2017, 06:57 AM

If you sent out that many applications, and you can't even get an interview, then there is a problem with your resume. If you are getting interviews and no job offers, then it's the way you handle interviews. I have reviewed hundreds of resumes, and conducted many interviews, and some people do poor jobs at both, and in such a competitive job market, it doesn't take much to ruin your chances.