Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Landeowner hunting

Anyone know of any landowners who would allow hinting on there land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 PM

Yes, a few.

But, you'll have to get out and knock on doors... No such thing as a free lunch.

Where are you located? And where are you planning on hunting?

Jeff
Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward0986 View Post

Great question, however you will never get an answer on any public forum. Its nothing personal but if I were to say "Ya, just call up ol' Mr McDonald and tell him Kurt said you can hunt on his farm because its loaded with elk" there would be about 8000 hunters at his farm opening morning.

Only way to answer your question is to go out for a drive in the area you want to hunt and start knocking on doors.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Yep sure do. Go down the road until you get to the intersection then turn right hes the third farm on the left. Ask for john. Sarcasm aside. Asking for free access with no location wont get you too far. You will need to go to specific landowners and ask.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM

I know several landowners that allow me to hunt on their land.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Yup. Lots of them.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325373

This thread should help you out.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM

I know landowners that allow hunting but I am more direct and ask.... some don't take to hints so well.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward0986 View Post

5 out of 7 posts asking "anyone know?"
Maybe you should start searching threads and maybe give to the forum then keep asking and taking!
WDF
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
5 out of 7 posts asking "anyone know?"
Maybe you should start searching threads and maybe give to the forum then keep asking and taking!
WDF
A millennial perhaps?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Hey Now not all millennials want hand outs lol I actually go find my own game. I choose not to hunt private land I find it boring if I wanted an elk that bad I'd go to many lands I have permission on and shoot one but that's not challenging or fun
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Hey Now not all millennials want hand outs lol I actually go find my own game. I choose not to hunt private land I find it boring if I wanted an elk that bad I'd go to many lands I have permission on and shoot one but that's not challenging or fun
So just how many elk have you shot that you find hunting them on private land to be boring?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

2 I find private land boring for every thing. But I'm a walker I enjoy stalking with archery gear and walking foothills that's my way
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
2 I find private land boring for every thing. But I'm a walker I enjoy stalking with archery gear and walking foothills that's my way
You didn't really answer elkhunters question.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 PM

Personally i would rather hunt elk on private land where no one else has permission. Nothing like walking for 3 or 4 hours on crown land and having 3or 4 quads come by saying " ya seen anything".
Old 07-17-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
You didn't really answer elkhunters question.
His answer still told me all that I wanted to know.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So just how many elk have you shot that you find hunting them on private land to be boring?
Slick likes to challenge himself. I respect that. Who cares how many elk he has killed. To him it seem the quality of his hunt is not related to how many he kills. People that can't enjoy hunting with out killing an animal are not really hunters. They are just killers. Killing and hunting are two different activities. Good on you Slick for sticking to your guns and enjoying your time in the field.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM
Banned

I said 2 kills but I've guided friends to 25-30
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Slick likes to challenge himself. I respect that. Who cares how many elk he has killed. To him it seem the quality of his hunt is not related to how many he kills. People that can't enjoy hunting with out killing an animal are not really hunters. They are just killers. Killing and hunting are two different activities. Good on you Slick for sticking to your guns and enjoying your time in the field.
And some people would have us believe that as soon as an elk crosses onto private land, it gets so much easier to kill. You can have the same terrain and hunting conditions on both private and public land, and the elk certainly don't know who owns the land.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Banned

I agree that as well elk if you enjoy hunting private land I have no problem with that, my harvest rate may be low but I do have chances at animals I choose to be picky and end up tag soup lots which is my choice as well, I also get 3 weeks off each month throughout hunting season and tagging out early would be no fun.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I agree that as well elk if you enjoy hunting private land I have no problem with that, my harvest rate may be low but I do have chances at animals I choose to be picky and end up tag soup lots which is my choice as well, I also get 3 weeks off each month throughout hunting season and tagging out early would be no fun.
I enjoy hunting private land and public land, and many of the elk live on both, feeding in the fields, and bedding in the timber. Since you are often hunting the very same elk, they don't magically become smarter when they are on public land.But if you want to believe that they do get smarter when on public land, and it makes you feel like a better hunter to pursue them on public land, then that is up to you. I certainly won't pass up good hunting territory just because a private individual holds the title. And I certainly won't enjoy my hunt any less because I am hunting on private land.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:15 AM

Guys get real, "Barn Yard Elk" are much easier to hunt. Farmer watches them all summer tells you which field they will be feeding, then you walk out behind the barn, place your 300 Win Mag with 4-12 scope on fench post and drop your elk. Farmer brings his front end loader and picks up the elk. Somewhat easier than walking 20 miles in foothills up and down ravines searching for only small herd in the area not eaten by wolves. However each to his own style of hunting.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Troll troll troll yer boat

I can't believe how may responses this thread generated...oh wait, me too
Old 07-18-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys get real, "Barn Yard Elk" are much easier to hunt. Farmer watches them all summer tells you which field they will be feeding, then you walk out behind the barn, place your 300 Win Mag with 4-12 scope on fench post and drop your elk. Farmer brings his front end loader and picks up the elk. Somewhat easier than walking 20 miles in foothills up and down ravines searching for only small herd in the area not eaten by wolves. However each to his own style of hunting.
I have killed a dozen or so elk on private land, and none of them were " barnyard elk". In fact, my closest kills to the truck were on public land. I killed four elk in four years on the same cut line about 1/2 mile from the truck.The elk fed in the private fields, and then moved down that cut line to the bedding area in the heavy timber. Finally, someone else found that location and camped right on the cut line and the elk moved out of that area.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 AM
Banned

I never said they were smarter on public land. You can pattern elk on private land you know exactly what time they will come out where the come out and what day they come out in what field so it becomes more shooting then hunting. And that's no fun for me
Old 07-19-2017, 06:06 AM

Hunting private land is like golfing with a handicap.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Hunting private land is like golfing with a handicap.
Well I didn't want to say it that way but it's true no matter what elkhunter says look at private vs public land other then suffield cull I bet higher percentage of elk are shot on private land
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I never said they were smarter on public land. You can pattern elk on private land you know exactly what time they will come out where the come out and what day they come out in what field so it becomes more shooting then hunting. And that's no fun for me
So elk can't be patterned on public land? Why do you suppose, I just happened to kill four elk in four years on the same cut line? I found where they were feeding, and where they were bedding , by patterning them, and then placing myself between the feeding area, and the bedding area. Those elk entered the fields after legal time, and they left the fields before legal time, so the easiest way to kill them was on public land. I have also killed elk on a power line on public land by using the same tactic, of patterning them as they traveled from the feeding area to the bedding area.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 AM

I think a lot of elk on private land see a lot less pressure which can make it a bit easier. Some people get permission and it's only them on he land (one day I might find this but I doubt it). In my experience private land was good in the past but it's to much of a head ache to use. Unless you have inside help either through work or family permission is tough at least we're I hunt.