Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Quite using Indeed as a vehicle to present your resume!

I have a friend who just went through these sort of troubles after getting laid off from a oilfield sales position. He applied to close to a 1000 jobs through Indeed and never got a sniff. I helped him figure out his woes when another friend I was talking too told me he was interviewing for a sales job close to my home. I mentioned the othe buddies name and he said nope not on his short list. I called up my the first friend who was looking for work and got the two to meet, and he made the cut to the final day, before higher ups made the choice of another bloke.

After this debacle my friend who is without work did some enquiring and found many of the positions he applied for through Indeed, never even knew he applied.....

He ditched Indeed, and began applying directly to the businesses who were looking, 2 weeks later and he now is working again.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-20-2017, 06:20 PM

Ya, what Dick said.
Who really know if I our res is getting thru.
Also, you only have to pay a fee to indeed, say you are hiring, and people will have you res, and personal info.
Head hunters are good at scooping resumes, and contact you for low end jobs.

TBark
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I sent you a pm on few leads
Thank you Kindly Slicktricker, I really appreciate your help.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Having a millwright and 4th class should make it easy to get a job, its not good out there but i think there is still a shortage of mechanically inclined power engineers.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Get it printed in a really frilly pink coloured font. It will get looked at for sure. Maybe do a scratch'n'sniff area on it to let your potential employer know what you smell like. Seriously though it has to stand out. Try a $50 bill, or Flames tickets. (Just kidding, that would get you fired before you even start.) How about a pop-up resume?
Thanks Weedy1,
I will try some of those suggestions, I can go as high as $10 and throw in my mountain bike to sweeten the deal
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Couple companies in edson are looking for millwright apprentices. One in Drayton valley. I don't believe for a minute that you can't find a job in this field. But if your lookimg for city shop work then of course its slim pickings. It is off the rails out here as far as work and hours go. If you know how to handle a wrench, getting up at 530 and working in the bush 14 hours a day you will have a job.

Cdmc
Thank you for your feedback Cdmc, I am really interested in getting into the power engineer/operator field rather than the millwright.I am willing to relocate (at my own expense) if offered a position. I injured my shoulder and have had surgery last year so I am unable to do the physical lifting and activities which you have to do as a millwright, but some of the shop ones aren't as bad with cranes etc.I think I can handle the physical side of power engineering, which is another reason why I am going for this field.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you sent out that many applications, and you can't even get an interview, then there is a problem with your resume. If you are getting interviews and no job offers, then it's the way you handle interviews. I have reviewed hundreds of resumes, and conducted many interviews, and some people do poor jobs at both, and in such a competitive job market, it doesn't take much to ruin your chances.
elkhunter11, to be honest, my interview skills are not great and I do tend to get nervous and freeze up sometimes during an interview.
What are your biggest mistakes you have seen people make during interviews?
I always try and prepare for them and have questions to ask but know I don't do a great job of them.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Quite using Indeed as a vehicle to present your resume!

I have a friend who just went through these sort of troubles after getting laid off from a oilfield sales position. He applied to close to a 1000 jobs through Indeed and never got a sniff. I helped him figure out his woes when another friend I was talking too told me he was interviewing for a sales job close to my home. I mentioned the othe buddies name and he said nope not on his short list. I called up my the first friend who was looking for work and got the two to meet, and he made the cut to the final day, before higher ups made the choice of another bloke.

After this debacle my friend who is without work did some enquiring and found many of the positions he applied for through Indeed, never even knew he applied.....

He ditched Indeed, and began applying directly to the businesses who were looking, 2 weeks later and he now is working again.
Thank you for your advice Dick284, I rely 90% on indeed. I will try and apply directly too, and try and visit some of these places in person too.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Having a millwright and 4th class should make it easy to get a job, its not good out there but i think there is still a shortage of mechanically inclined power engineers.
Thanks 79ford, that's another reason why I decided to invest in the power engineer ticket too, so that would hopefully give me a bit of an edge. Some of my class mates have not been able to find a job since we finished the course, and others work only 4 days a month. Others have been lucky and got on full time as millwrights. I have had shoulder surgery, so only want to go back to millwrighting as a last resort, that's why I am really pushing for the operator positions. Hopefully things will pick up again soon.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 PM

Some big valves need moving as an Op, and towers to climb.
Hope ur shoulder isn't that bad.

TBark
Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Ya, what Dick said.
Who really know if I our res is getting thru.
Also, you only have to pay a fee to indeed, say you are hiring, and people will have you res, and personal info.
Head hunters are good at scooping resumes, and contact you for low end jobs.

TBark
You are right TBark. Also with so many resumes for every job, half of them may not even get seen.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Some big valves need moving as an Op, and towers to climb.
Hope ur shoulder isn't that bad.

TBark
It is not that bad TBark, but I know the previous work as millwright, lifting up to 75 pounds, I cannot do that anymore.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you sent out that many applications, and you can't even get an interview, then there is a problem with your resume. If you are getting interviews and no job offers, then it's the way you handle interviews. I have reviewed hundreds of resumes, and conducted many interviews, and some people do poor jobs at both, and in such a competitive job market, it doesn't take much to ruin your chances.
I was just wondering elkhunter11, what are the main things you look at when reviewing a resume. Also, do you know if people use search engines to look for key words when searching for resumes too?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Not always having an "in" will get you in either.
My son also has his 4th and spent $4k on steam lab too.
I'm in the industry and I can't get him a sniff either, so he will have to do it on his own.
He is doing ok in the Safety side of things, he makes $240 per day, he is in the same plants as the operators.
I told him to make his own contacts and go from there.
He will be ok, he's 20. You will be ok too.
Good luck.

TBark
That's a good way to network TBark. If a job comes up in a plant, they may offer it to your son too, as he already knows the plant.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:13 AM

Not sure if you've tried this site. Started with Sureflow to get a foot in the door where I currently am. Started as a contractor and converted to employee of the company shortly after. A lot of guys looking right now, best of luck to you.

https://www.nesglobaltalent.com/job-...=Find+me+a+job
Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCa View Post
Not sure if you've tried this site. Started with Sureflow to get a foot in the door where I currently am. Started as a contractor and converted to employee of the company shortly after. A lot of guys looking right now, best of luck to you.

https://www.nesglobaltalent.com/job-...=Find+me+a+job
Thank you very much for your advice and help LaCa. It definitely is a really tough time to try and get into the field. I think your route is probably one of the best ways to get in, starting out as a contractor. I have applied for a lot of the contractors, but they mostly require a lot of previous experience, some have advertised for entry level, which I have applied for without any luck. Glad it worked out for you in the end, hopefully something will show up soon.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 01:25 PM

I am going through the same thing right now albeit in a different industry. I am just going to keep pounding the pavement. I am not a fan of applying online or using the telephone. I prefer in person even though I have not had any success. My only advice would be to go in person and be persistent.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM

The bad shoulder is gonna be an issue with most operator positions. You could get lucky but there's still going to be heavy lifting to do, valves to swing, etc...I certainly wouldn't mention it on an interview. I think most beginner power engineering jobs are going to have you as the guy in the plant/field swinging valves, assisting mechanics etc. I think a lot guys envision the control room op sitting in front of the computer when signing up for power engineering.

Also I have yet to land a job by replying to an ad, or submitting a resume online. They have all been word of mouth and applying quickly when a job becomes available. Id guess most jobs don't even hit the recruiters.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferac View Post
I am going through the same thing right now albeit in a different industry. I am just going to keep pounding the pavement. I am not a fan of applying online or using the telephone. I prefer in person even though I have not had any success. My only advice would be to go in person and be persistent.
Thank you for your advice golferac, speaking to an actual person over the telephone or applying in person would definitely be the best way. I hope you find something soon too. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
The bad shoulder is gonna be an issue with most operator positions. You could get lucky but there's still going to be heavy lifting to do, valves to swing, etc...I certainly wouldn't mention it on an interview. I think most beginner power engineering jobs are going to have you as the guy in the plant/field swinging valves, assisting mechanics etc. I think a lot guys envision the control room op sitting in front of the computer when signing up for power engineering.

Also I have yet to land a job by replying to an ad, or submitting a resume online. They have all been word of mouth and applying quickly when a job becomes available. Id guess most jobs don't even hit the recruiters.
I appreciate your feedback Deo101, having little experience in the field will mean I am most likely going to do heavy stuff to begin with. Any physical work I try and do all of it using my left shoulder, so hopefully I should be okay.

I agree with you, like the previous posters have also mentioned, applying online is a real game of luck, and you cannot even be sure if they even got your resume! Recruiters must get tons of resumes right now, and I doubt they even look at half of them. Word of mouth or applying in person seems to be the best way to go. Living in Calgary, there aren't many plants, really think moving to Edmonton or around that area would make applying in person much easier.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM

Guys get out of the physical stuff in time too, PE's in their 40's or 50's,
I'm one of those, ha, they transition to day co-ordinators, team leads, S/D planners, trainers etc.
But ya, you gotta get in, learn the process and put in your time.

Myself, I'm doing something either very crazy or very smart here next month, leaving a safe PE position for an over seas transfer.
Leaving Ops for Lotto authority, Permit position, 1-2 year gig.
Thought long and hard about it, do I stay and play it safe, or jump on this.
Bottom line, this project is world class, and their is only a hand full of guys that can list this project on their resume.
That was the key that made to take the plunge.
And no, sorry they are not replacing my spot here, still a bit over staffed.
Good luck.

TBark