Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Ministers Special Trophy Elk License

Gentlemen,
I just got a message from AHEIA saying that i won the 2008 Special Elk License, i am pretty shocked. When i went to buy my sheep tickets this spring they were all sold out so i bought a few elk ones instead, and now i won. Anybody have any advice on a sure fire elk area this fall, i was thinking maybe up around Cadomin or Ya-Ha tinda area, but am not too sure. I probably had 4 or 5 more years to wait to be drawn so i wasn't really paying much attention. Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Default Elk Draw

sleslie... Congrats on getting the draw .I was there when the names were drawn .Good luck...............................Grampa Jim
Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Well first off congrats!! I didn't buy tickets this year but its nice to know that a fellow AO member won. Unfortunately, I can't tell you where the best area to go may be. Personally, I wouldn't waste your time with the YaHa area or the Panther area, seems like the elk numbers are way down due to the high number of wolves. I would ask the minister how "special" the license really is, I know a great area about 50 km due west of Hinton!!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleslie View Post
Gentlemen,
I just got a message from AHEIA saying that i won the 2008 Special Elk License, i am pretty shocked. When i went to buy my sheep tickets this spring they were all sold out so i bought a few elk ones instead, and now i won. Anybody have any advice on a sure fire elk area this fall, i was thinking maybe up around Cadomin or Ya-Ha tinda area, but am not too sure. I probably had 4 or 5 more years to wait to be drawn so i wasn't really paying much attention. Thanks for any advice.
Congrats!! What dates and WMUs can you use it for?
Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

Super cool! I guess i didn't win the sheep tag as no one called me....geesh i even bought two tickets.....talk about bad luck.

Good luck man, i haven't got a clue where to go for elk, good luck though....would love for you to follow up with this thread with some pics when you connect with your elk.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM

All the raffle ticket says is that it is Valid anywhere in Alberta during regular Trophy Elk Season, with exceptions as listed by the Minister of Sustainable Resource Development. So i'm not too sure what the exceptions are, obviously not good in National or Provincial parks, but am waiting for a call back from someone hopefully with some more details.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
All the raffle ticket says is that it is Valid anywhere in Alberta during regular Trophy Elk Season, with exceptions as listed by the Minister of Sustainable Resource Development. So i'm not too sure what the exceptions are, obviously not good in National or Provincial parks, but am waiting for a call back from someone hopefully with some more details.
You'll have to keep us posted as you find out more specifics. Again, congrats.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM

Congrats! Keep us posted. I hope some people on this board can help you out. Maybe start by looking at which zones require the highest priority to draw and investigating if any are ones you are familiar with and/or know somebody who is.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM

I have a friend whose uncle owns some land bordering Waterton National Park, if this license will work in Zone 300A, i think i may look at heading down that way. I'm just not sure that since that is a Special zone if the license would work there.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Huh?

What dis tag you speak of?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
I have a friend whose uncle owns some land bordering Waterton National Park, if this license will work in Zone 300A, i think i may look at heading down that way. I'm just not sure that since that is a Special zone if the license would work there.
I would think long and hard before choosing 300A. If you have guaranteed access then that is fine but with what is happening I would hate for you to waste such a good opportunity.

Bubba
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM

Check out the 148/150/151 area around the Suffield Base. Some big bulls there. Access is reasonably easy to obtain. Seasons start in early Sep and runs into Dec. Check your draw info booklet. Just understand, that as any place that has a no hunt area (base), the elk soon know to be on base during legal light. Good chance at a big bull.

Also check out 102 or 104. Can maybe find big elk there also. Again access is usually not a problem. Check out around Wainwright? Those are my ideas.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Would that not mean that you are only allowed to hunt where there is a general season, and not a draw season??????
Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 PM

I talked to a very nice lady earlier this evening who was on her cell phone driving home and did not have all the info. in front of her, but i think what she said was that it was valid in every zone except Cypress Hills until the end of December. I am just waiting for an e-mail with all the information on it, hopefully later this evening.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 PM

Smile

Way to go sleslie
Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Congratulations and good luck on the hunt. We'll need pics!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Congrats sleslie. That's great news. Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Good for you

Congrats, we've had some good luck on this board. You won the elk draw, Rocks got the goat draw.

It's always been my understanding that you can hunt any general or special zone during it's regular season plus the month after the season closes in the zone/draw. So if you want to hunt the yaha you'd have it all to yourself for one month after the guys who drew special licenses stop hunting. Could be a good opportunity to find a nice bull on some winter range.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Alberta Minister’s Special Elk Permit

“Is authorized to hunt one antlered elk, in accordance with all provisions of the Wildlife Act and Wildlife Regulation*. This special license is valid anywhere in Alberta during a general elk season and a special license antlered elk draw season except WMU’s 728 & 730 (Camp Wainwright), WMU 624 (Cypress Hills Park) and WMU 936 archery only special license draw season. This special license is also valid from December 1 to December 31, 2008 in the following wildlife management units:

Antlered elk – WMU’s 102, 104, 116, 118, 119, 151, 200-203, 232, 234, 526
Three point elk (or larger) – WMU’s 214, 216, 221, 224, 224, 300-360, 400, 402, 429, 504-507, 510, 521-523, 527
Six point elk (or larger) – WMU’s 404-408, 412-428, 430-446,509
This license authorizes hunting on Sundays only in the Sunday hunting areas specified on the insert map in the Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations
Hunting is not allowed in any Wildlife Sanctuary, Park, Ecological Reserve (except Upper Bob Creek), Recreation Area or any restricted area where elk hunting would be prohibited as set out in the Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Yep pretty amazing tag to have for sure man......

I would set my sights on a big big 380+ bull if you have the chance......definatly can be done with so much flexibility to go where you want and WHEN you want....
Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Wow, pretty versitile tag to have. Good luck to ya.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
give it a try 2 years ago i spooked 3 big elk while cow elk hunting, one huge bull 7x6 and the other 2 6x6s the big boy bluf charged me almost craped myself
Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Has anyone ever hunted Elk in Zone 102, it looks like in last years draw summary it was the hardest zone to get drawn for, maybe its because there are very few animals available though. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 PM

PM on its way about 102....
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't waste your time with this zone (I got skunked in it last year) . But it recieves hunting pressure until late Feb, also in another post on the forum some stated that they are having toruble getting permission. If your are going to take advantage of the extra 4 weeks of hunting that most zones will not have you are better off somewhere else. I think they opened 108 to elk this year might be wrong. Might be an idea, but then again they here part of the Open Spaces and if they are upset about it, it might be hard to get permission.
Hope that you get a monster. Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Well i just found out that I have permission to hunt on some of the last privately owned land bordering Waterton Park in Zone 300A. I have seen a few pics of bulls taken in previous years and it looks like there are some giants down there. Planning on heading down around Sept. 18th or so and hopefully with a little help we'll be able to call in a big bull. Thanks everyone for all the advice, i really hope this works out.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 PM

We're rooting for ya man.....hope ya kill a big smasher bull!!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Well i just found out that I have permission to hunt on some of the last privately owned land bordering Waterton Park in Zone 300A. I have seen a few pics of bulls taken in previous years and it looks like there are some giants down there. Planning on heading down around Sept. 18th or so and hopefully with a little help we'll be able to call in a big bull. Thanks everyone for all the advice, i really hope this works out.
With a tag like that I would be sure to exercise some patience. Lots of unique opportunities around the province for you - some of which have some serious potential for a cranker of a bull. Best of luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

Do you have to declare what zone you will be hunting in, or can you bop around from zone to zone?

Jamie
Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM

You can bop around....anywhere...anytime....its like a freebie for the entire season...

So in all reality, you have one of the best chances in the entire province to kill a big bull....