Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Shooting in the garage

I don't have anywhere convenient to shoot my bow around my house without a good drive. I have shot in my garage a fair amount now at about 14 yards I can practice my form and building muscle. Even though its very close, I am concerned about misses. Do any of you guys shoot in your garage and what are you using for backstops?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 AM

Have 20 yards into my garage poked a hole through the wall once used to hang up a bunch of old carpets for a backstop

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 AM

Rinehart 18-1 against my garage door. Sometimes less than 5 yards. Pick a spot and shoot your target. If it works at close range outside it will in your garage.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 AM

Anything from old carpet, as mentioned, to a piece of plywood. At that range, I wouldn't be too worried, but on the other hand, equipment can malfunction at any time, so I understand you wanting to play it safe.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned

it's not if you'll poke a hole somewhere you don't want, it's when...you've been warned
Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Stall Matts

Go down to UFA of Peavey mart and pick up a stall mat for horse trailers. They are 3'x6' and will stop any misses the target. Will be fun getting the arrow out but no damage to garage. I put one through the insulated steel door once.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Go down to UFA of Peavey mart and pick up a stall mat for horse trailers. They are 3'x6' and will stop any misses the target. Will be fun getting the arrow out but no damage to garage. I put one through the insulated steel door once.
What do these stall mats usually run $$?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:40 AM

Stall Matt all the way I have one that is 3/4” thick it must be 50lbs but man does it stop arrows. There was a guy on Kijiji selling them for a bit cheaper than ufa/ peavemart but if you are in Calgary area I would call norwesco industries they make all kinds of custom belts and rubber Matting. They many be cheaper , they also may have a scrap piece of odd shape.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM

I have had two equipment malfunctions shooting outside at home, one arrow through a shed...one arrow through the garage.

I shoot in the basement now

LC
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Just be warned, almost every municipality has laws against discharging weapons within city limits. In Strathcona county for example you can not even shoot a pellet gun or slingshot in the prescribed no shooting zones. Even hearing they are cracking down on airsoft guns as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 AM

As far as I can tell the interpretation of the weapon discharge bylaw includes any land/area the public can access, your garage does not fall under the purview of this restriction. YMMV

UFA stall mats were $90 the last time I bought one and they are a pain to handle so you’ll want to recruit a helper to hang one.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:33 AM

Default Try Uncle Weiner's

http://unclewiener.com/product/4-ft-...r-shop-garage/

These are 1/2" thick 4x6' and cost $45 each.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
X2. this is what I use. never damaged an arrow and allows me to shoot out to 80 yards and not worry about loosing an arrow.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM

We shoot in the garage as well - If I have recycling bags or old boxes I put them around the target area - mind you, the kids are shooting at a lower poundage anyhow. Also have an old plywood dresser behind that...

Quote:
http://unclewiener.com/product/4-ft-...r-shop-garage/

These are 1/2" thick 4x6' and cost $45 each.
Good find!

Can pick up my casket there as well, while I'm at it.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Just be warned, almost every municipality has laws against discharging weapons within city limits. In Strathcona county for example you can not even shoot a pellet gun or slingshot in the prescribed no shooting zones. Even hearing they are cracking down on airsoft guns as well.
The Nerf gun registry will be implemented there soon too.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
We shoot in the garage as well - If I have recycling bags or old boxes I put them around the target area - mind you, the kids are shooting at a lower poundage anyhow. Also have an old plywood dresser behind that...

Good find!

Can pick up my casket there as well, while I'm at it.
Hopefully not for a while on the casket. Costco sells caskets too.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Shooting in the garage

Quote:
Hopefully not for a while on the casket. Costco sells caskets too.

Haha! I figure that I could store my hunting stuff in there until I actually need it.

Which, hopefully isn’’t for a long time.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

Quote:
Yup, you get that one neighbour that makes a call....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 PM

I have shot my bow in the basement. I just made my backstop big enough I know i would not miss. Its a big cardboard box covered in carpet. Inside the box i stuffed it full of construction plastic. Poly sheeting etc from new build houses. Took of a tour or the new neighbored dumpsters and was done
Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 PM

Shoot in my basement at a block target.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
As far as I can tell the interpretation of the weapon discharge bylaw includes any land/area the public can access, your garage does not fall under the purview of this restriction. YMMV
Just to remove the element of speculation from this thread, the bylaws surrounding the discharge of an arrow within the city limits are governed by bylaw number 20M88, which states:

"10. No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless authorized by the Director, Calgary Parks or his designate.
(B/L 23M2003, 2004 January 12)
(B/L 7M2016, 2016 February 18)"

So just make sure you're not setting up your target on your neighbour's lawn, across the street.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Great Matts at Princess Auto today

Noticed some great mats that would definitely stop arrows at Princess today for less than $30
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Danger Danger

Ok well as long as the duct tape holds I'm good togo....just shot an arrow through my shop vac hose.....OPPS
Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Back before all my gear was stolen (I still haven't replaced a darn thing)...

The kids and I used to shoot a lot in the garage. I built a backstop out of 1" press board against the back wall...short ends of 2x4's stacked in front of that on either side of the target.
The target itself was 2 giant boxes on top of each other, packed with old clothes in plastic bags.

In front of the bottom box, was hung one of those burlap deer targets where the vitals were marked. On top of that box and in front of the top box was a typical box target from Wholesale sports.

Shooting in the garage was great for establishing muscle memory, practicing good habits, and I used it a lot to simply practice holding a draw for a long time.

I still have the "lane" set up and I think it's time to find a youth bow so my son can shoot again.

The garage is a great place to practice, but you really need to make sure you've reinforced your backstop and made it safe.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Haha! I figure that I could store my hunting stuff in there until I actually need it.

Which, hopefully isn’’t for a long time.
That's brilliant...maybe with a mod or two it could also serve as a lay down blind for geese!!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
That's brilliant...maybe with a mod or two it could also serve as a lay down blind for geese!!
Lol! “Coffin blind” eh!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:09 PM

10. No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless authorized by the Director, Calgary Parks or his designate.
(B/L 23M2003, 2004 January 12)
(B/L 7M2016, 2016 February 18)"

The way I read this you can shoot in your yard, is that correct.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:22 PM

I shoot in my yard because that’s what I have taken from that and have yet to have any issues and I like in ellerslie in Edmonton
Old 06-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Most jurisdictions will use the utility worker or mailman rule. If either can get to that part of your property, then it is considered public property even though privately owned. That is how privately owned businesses are considered public places for the enforcement of such laws as alcohol and smoking.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I shoot in my yard because that’s what I have taken from that and have yet to have any issues and I like in ellerslie in Edmonton
That’s all fine and dandy...till an equipment failure prevents thy arrow from remaining in your yard...then you are 100% responsible for the outcome of where that arrow lands.

I have shot 10’s of thousands of arrows in my life and 2 equipment failures have caused unexplained arrow releases...that’s why I no longer shoot in my yard.

You have to ask yourself, is it worth the risk?

LC